What games have you regretted buying?

NFS:MW for 360, was fun until you needed a rediculous amount of bounty to get into races and it stopped being fun.

Its the same for the PC (ridiculous bounty), and yes this was my only gripe about Most Wanted.

My regretted purchase is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1. Single player was a babysit-fest on every level. You're better off capping your squad and going solo. And no inclusion of AA was inexcuasble...even after the "patch."

Doom 3 and ROE expansion
Half Life 2 (but I am happy it came with CS:S because I play that a lot)

Quake 4 and F.E.A.R. I bought them after both got rave reviews from all sorts of magazines (particularly about their graphics and game-play) as well as other gamers and yet, when I played them, I thought they sucked. Both lacked substance in the game-play. They seemed to me as mearly a run-around-and-shoot-stuff kind of game with no real objective or challenge. I also thought F.E.A.R.'s graphics were about 5 years behind. I have been gaming for years now (my first FPS was Wolfenstein 3D!) and have played tons of stuff, including every C&C title, every Medal of Honor title, every Half-Life title (CS since its inception back around '98) and every Quake title. One of my all times favs is Quake 3, but as for Q4 and F.E.A.R., those are the only 2 games I have purchased and didn't finish. I didn't get too far into Q4 but I got further in it than I did in F.E.A.R cuz I didn't even finish the first level in that!

What are you talking about? 5 years before FEAR was released, the games of the day were No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex and Quake III. I think FEAR's graphics is atleast better than Quake 3 don't you? It's the first game i've played that actually implemented parallax mapping.

What are you talking about? 5 years before FEAR was released, the games of the day were No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex and Quake III. I think FEAR's graphics is atleast better than Quake 3 don't you? It's the first game i've played that actually implemented parallax mapping.

For the most part... I didn't enjoy FEAR either. Graphics are awsome compared to past games, but the thing that killed me was level design. I felt like every level was basically the same with just different textures and different placement of "mobs". Its like, spent 1/2 the game inside a building where almost every room and hallway look the same, maybe an extra corner added to that hallway vs this hallway.... monster design was poor too... IMHO.

It was like, soldier after soldier after soldier, wait theres a thingy that flys, back to another group of solders, wait I'm in trip mode and I see some dark thing coming at me... a big rocket mech thing. Only things I enjoyed hunting/killing was the cloaking soldiers.. other than that... I felt like I was chewing on old bubble gum.

Games like HL, HL2/Ep.1, Unreal, Unreal 2 (I know a lot of people didnt like... but I did :p ) put a bit more story and level-design into their games...

I played EVE's demo, then bought it after reading many reviews stating how great it was. I played off and on for 2 months, then canceled my subscription because I was so incredibly bored.

Everyone seems to hate BF2, which surprised me at first. Then I started thinking about it, and I don't care for the game at all in single person. The bots are pointless, the maps are slow loading and incomplete, and there isn't any point. But I do enjoy playing online. If it weren't for that, I would have BF2 on my list. BF42 was excellent, and loads of fun even when playing single or on a closed LAN with a couple friends.

There are a lot of games I bought in the bargain bin (Marine SharpShooter (bought for $4.99) and Sniper ($5) for example) that were a horrible waste of money. I bought my girlfriend's daughter (she's now 7) several games that claim to work with WinXP but were probably written for Win95 and won't run at all. I've contacted their support, but the companies have changed hands several times and all help files are broken links.

Doom 3, the first hour was cool then it went to "oh, a dark area, monsters around".

....then got hooked on WoW for 2 years and then quit

Bought NW2....snooze.

GRAW for me.
it was pretty hyped up. when it came out my computer could barely run it. x850xt.
the multiplayer sucked balls since no one played and the maps were huge.

it was a good game but i just hate how the multiplayer went........!!! owell i only bought the game for 20 bucks at CC. i had the cracked version before to play single player bought it to play on multiplayer and there were only like a total of like 40 players on.

Star Wars Galaxies. Biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a game.

GRAW for me.
it was pretty hyped up. when it came out my computer could barely run it. x850xt.
the multiplayer sucked balls since no one played and the maps were huge.

On Xbox, shooters like this are very popular and played online by a ton of people. You may consider getting one if you are planning on playing these cross platform games online.

STUNTMAN.

I couldn't get past the second movie. Long load times, and way too hard.

I even pre-ordered it. :mad:

Quake 3 was, and is, such a fun multiplayer game All my friends were stoked about Quake 4 for the multiplayer. Unfortunately, we didn't take to it like Q3. I don't think a whole lot of other people did either. My wife paid over $50 for it for my birthday when it was released. I haven't even reinstalled it.

Half Life 2 was probably the best decision I ever made in buying a game (just ahead of HL1 :p )

On Xbox, shooters like this are very popular and played online by a ton of people. You may consider getting one if you are planning on playing these cross platform games online.

hmm thanks for the tip. didnt know alot of ppl played this on xbox still. i have the regular xbox not 360 can you comment on how many players play the xbox version?

vanguard, EQ2, some old school game for the PC called tank commander or something

i'm actually going to say Diablo2... i put endless hours into the first one and after i was done beta testing the 2nd.... i just lost all intrest in the game and never really played it much when it went gold. the whole mob respawning thing in sp turned me off to the game.

NWN and serious sam to a very small extent... once i played those games online, it was ruined and i could never play alone again :mad:

X3: Reunion ... the most baffling game I've ever tried to play. Like many women, the gorgeous looks gloss over a completely confounding and frustrating interface.

Once you learn how to play it awesome. The main story is pointless. It's all about the Building and Trading.

I agree X3 is great once you figure out how to play it but it takes a while to learn it though. It's worth the wait if you can get past the frustration of learning to play it well.

I've gotta go with Project: Snowblind. I picked it up because it was supposed to be the estranged offspring of Deus Ex, but it was so buggy I couldn't get through the first level, and the developer decided they weren't going to take the time to patch it, so there's no way for me to ever find out if it was a decent game or not. Grrr. :mad:

Quake 3 was, and is, such a fun multiplayer game All my friends were stoked about Quake 4 for the multiplayer. Unfortunately, we didn't take to it like Q3. I don't think a whole lot of other people did either. My wife paid over $50 for it for my birthday when it was released. I haven't even reinstalled it.

Half Life 2 was probably the best decision I ever made in buying a game (just ahead of HL1 :p )

I really enjoyed the single player Quake 4 experience, but I didn't care for the multiplayer. They tried to make it too much like Quake 3.

Oblivion. Not because it was disappointing, but because my GPA would be a few tenths higher if I hadn't bought it.

some of you hate some awesome games imo, but to each their own as they say

I regret buying WoW the most because it became a life altering addiction. It may very well be the best game I ever played but since its the only one to really reach out and touch my real life in bad ways I have to regret buying it. There are whole portions of 2005 that I can only remember WoW. I was addicted from the day the game came out. I will never forget wanting to get home so bad on Christmas eve 04 so I can play. Bad, bad , bad :D

Then there are the shit games. Games I should never have bothered with due to their just plain sucking or their makers not supporting the games.

1. Kotor 2: still haven't played-waiting for that restoration project to finish.

2. Daggerfall: So buggy, drove me nuts

3. Star Wars Galaxies: Junk

4. Redguard: POS

5. Temple of Elemental evil: didn't become good till the fans fixed it years later

6. Vampire Bloodlines: See number 5

7. Serious Sam: I didn't get the "humor"

8. Battlefield 3000AD- Where do I begin? Its the worst game I ever paid for.

I'm sure there have been others.

1. Kotor 2: still haven't played-waiting for that restoration project to finish.

Aye, I beat it once and have no desire to play it as the Dark Side. I do, however, have an itch to play the first one again.

3. Star Wars Galaxies: Junk

Agreed. I was a beta tester and it was quite promising, but then they neutered it and made everything a set path. Stupid. Playing a game where everyone's the same, with the same skill path, etc., gets very old quickly.

Oh, here we go...

Starship Troopers (PC) - Crappy clone of better games

Take No Prisoners (PC) - NOTHING like the box described

Blazing Angels (PS3) - I can't fucking STAND this game. Bank the plane...still fly straight as an arrow. stupid horrible idiot programmers. The only way to turn is to flip on your side and pull back. If you're not perfectly on your side, pulling back also makes you climb or dive...and that's not always what you want in a game where you have to make ground attacks against tank columns...sometimes I just need a slight turn...ARGH!

Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS3) - Yeah, decent game, but NOT worth the money, it's looks like something that a Sega Saturn vomited.

PREY (PC) - So these kick ass evil aliens fly billions of lightyears just to fuck with some over spiritual Indians? Yeah...doesn't really do it for me, could use a better story line.

I know I'm missing some horrid travesty of a video game...I'm gonna go look in my closet..Oh yeah, Falcon 4.0 (PC) - Same old ass game in a new box with some new mission text.

The only game I really regret buying is Call of Duty 2. I thought it would be like the first one, it was too different.

I don't think I made it clear what I meant. I'm making a CS 1.6 to CS:S comparison. The gameplay was too different. I was expecting the same gameplay with better graphics and some new weapons, vehicles etc...It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Recently

Silent Hunter IV. This could have been great had they not released it 3 months too early. To call the game buggy is kind, the correct term is unfinished. They have already released 2 patches, the last one made it worse than before. Think I will hold off on Ubi games for awhile until the clean up their act.

Imperial Glory. I really wanted a TOTAL WAR game set in the Napoleon era. Thats about the only thing they got right, the rest was pure rubbish.

PREY (PC) - So these kick ass evil aliens fly billions of lightyears just to fuck with some over spiritual Indians? Yeah...doesn't really do it for me, could use a better story line.

Ah, so if the game had a white protagonist you would have liked it?

call of duty 2 was a big waste of money.

diablo 2 is on my list too. not because it sucks, but i spent more time playing this game than ANYTHING else (except school) at the time. i want 4 years of my life back!

Agreed. I was a beta tester and it was quite promising, but then they neutered it and made everything a set path. Stupid. Playing a game where everyone's the same, with the same skill path, etc., gets very old quickly.

But you have to admit the 2 years we got before the CU and NGE were amazing.

Another game I just remembered - Neverwinter Nights

The two that made me feel like I was robbed are Half Life: Blue shift and Doom III. Paid full retail for both based on the former version's merits.

Back