What games have you pulled all-nighters playing?

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
A thread over in GenMay got me to thinking about the games that I've ended up pulling all-nighters (not just late-nighters, mind you) playing - usually unintentionally and when I could ill-afford the lack of sleep. First ones to come to mind for me are Diablo (both 1 and 2), Sim City (2k and 3k) and Civilization (2 - 4).

How about the rest of you? What games robbed you of enough willpower that you could not even turn it off to sleep?

Baldurs gate, a couple times, thats the primary one i remember

But basically anything bioware, those just suck me in

First was Tecmo Super Bowl for the SNES, then Tie Fighter was the first PC game, then Final Fantasy 7, then Links LS 98 (on MPlayer), then Freespace 2 and finally BF2 has recently deprived me of one night's sleep. ;) Cool thread topic. :D

Diablo 1 and 2 are the only games that ever kept me going all night. Last Thanksgiving, I re-installed D2 and played about 6 hours from the very beginning all the way through the end of the Lord of Destruction expansion. That was a great way to spend the Friday after turkey day. All I did was play D2 and take a few breaks for leftovers.

These days, it's a lot harder to game 12+ hours straight when I've gotta get up for work in the morning. ;)

Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3 (to unlock all the goodies), and more recently Suikoden III

RTCW multiplayer, mp_beach
AoE III, interestingly enough that was the first time i had ever played a strategy game and also the last. no particular reason, had one night of obsession and i was done with it.

if i could afford to pull an all nighter right now (stupid work and real life stuff) i would spend it between TF2 and BF2. Cool thread.

AoE III, interestingly enough that was the first time i had every played a strategy game and also the last. no particular reason, had one night of obsession and i was done with it.

Same for me, except the game was Rome: Total War. The battles themselves didn't do much for me, but playing the campaign map was incredibly addicting for one night and one night only. I had borrowed it from my brother in law for a night and gave it back a couple days later. Never picked it up again.

TOO many... More than I'd like to admit...

Hell, I remember staying up all night playing Family Feud on the NES... :eek: :p

I used to also stay up all night with Gemstone III back in the free-on-AOL days.

More that I can even remember: Starcraft FOR SURE, Deus Ex (the first night I had it), a ton of NES/SNES games, Morrowind and Oblivion, Goldeneye for the 64, Perfect Dark for the 64, Guild Wars, Rainbow Six: Vegas on the 360, Halo 1 (not 2 OR 3), Call of Duty 2, Counterstrike Source, RISK (yeah, I know, but it was addicting...), the original Tetris for NES (see previous reason), Civilization II, and many MANY more... Hell, there's probably 2x that number...

:D

Sid Meier's Pirates was probably the last to make me do it. There's lots of games I have enjoyed more or spent more time on, but through a combination of my circumstances and the "just-one-more" gameplay kept me doing just one more thing in the campaign until the birds chirping told me I should probably go to bed.

Sid Meier's Pirates was probably the last to make me do it. There's lots of games I have enjoyed more or spent more time on, but through a combination of my circumstances and the "just-one-more" gameplay kept me doing just one more thing in the campaign until the birds chirping told me I should probably go to bed.

I did the same thing when Pirates! was originally released back on 5.25" floppy. I played the hell out of it on my Tandy 1000SX and thanked god that I had nice 16-color Tandy graphics instead of the boring 4-color CGA.

it should almost be what games haven't I pulled an all nighter playing.

Phantasy star 1, 2 and 4
final fantasy 1,4,6,7,9,fft and 10
Dragon quest 1,2,3,4,7, and 8
grandia 2 and 3
Lunar 1 and 2
Landstalker
Shining force 1,2,3 and CD
Chrono trigger and cross
warcraft 2 and 3
diablo 2
Age of empires 1 and 2
BF2
disgaea 1 and 2
makai kingdom
Soul Nomad
Star ocean 2
Tails of symphona
Fire emblem all of them
golden eye
Worms armagedon
Saturn Bomberman
Mario Kart snes and n64

I'm sure I missing a ton as well but I do have 3 weeks off of work so I mine as well add the games I'm going to pull all nighters playing with my time off.

Persona 3, Tales of the abyss, Wild Arm 5, Rouge Galaxy, Growlancer 5, and more BF2.

counter strike
diablo 2
starcraft
Civ

ive gone to bed eventually, but at like 6 am... and since the sun was up I consider it an all nighter.

I spent my 5 years in college on one gigantic all-nighter for Mario Kart 64. For other games, I'd have to include Street Fighter Alpha, Tekken 3, Baldur's Gate, Lunar, and FF7.
Actually when FF7 first came out I pretty much took a couple of days off of school/work and played it until we won it. I only took breaks for midnight Waffle House runs.

Thunder Walker CTF for the original Quake back in the day. Team based play with fancy powerups = fun.

Then nothing happened until the speed cheat came out for CS. It was addicting being able to run around and stab people 50 times a second, and then like three days later it was patched, but while it lasted I was laughing my ass off.

No game has been good enough to make me pass on a night of sleep for years, though. Hope it will happen again at least once before I die.

damn...I'm guessing you don't sleep much?:eek:

I have job and wife so I do all nighters every weekend with almost every game I play cus it's the only time I have to play games is from like 9pm to 9am.

first night I ever played a network game.. doom!! we got three PCs on coax in our livingroom at a party pad I lived in in the mid 90s.. after discovering we needed termination for both ends of the coax (can't plug straight into the card at the ends, need to use a T with a terminator on one end) we played doom death match all night... my roomate who worked the night shift at a local Carrows came home at 9am and was like WTF? you guys are still at it.. lol. I am sure we looked like three zombies.. glassy eyed and strung out on rocket launchers. ;) since then, I had some late nights playing Quake2 CTF, Diablo I and II.. not many all nighters recently..

I'm almost embarrased to say it but...the only game that kept me up all night, and still playing at sunrise was the original Sims.:eek: Most games have stopping points or at least goals you can reach for a stopping point...but the ongoing, no end in sight nature of the Sims caught me off guard.

I am proud to say that after playing it for normal stretches for another week or so...I unistalled it, gave it to a friend and never touched another Sims/Sims related game since.:cool:

I have job and wife so I do all nighters every weekend with almost every game I play cus it's the only time I have to play games is from like 9pm to 9am.

Let's see here... It's all mathematical. Going by "The Law of the Gaming Man" (I just made this up), you must cut your gaming time in half for each new big thing in your life of those 3.

Your time to game, broken down:

No kids, single, unemployed = 100% time
No kids, single, full-time job = 50% time
No kids, a significant other, full-time job = 25% time
Kids, a significant other, full-time job = 12.5% time to play games.

Once you throw in things you should probably care about, like eating, you're down another half to 6.25%, which gives you approximately 10.5 hours per week to play video games -- almost exactly your 9pm-9am schedule. :p ;)

Very few games have warranted all-nighters.

College?
CS1.6 and Starcraft (CS & SC).

Before college was Diablo 2. I don't think I've ever stayed up for a console game though.

Let's see here... It's all mathematical. Going by "The Law of the Gaming Man" (I just made this up), you must cut your gaming time in half for each new big thing in your life of those 3.

Your time to game, broken down:

No kids, single, unemployed = 100% time
No kids, single, full-time job = 50% time
No kids, a significant other, full-time job = 25% time
Kids, a significant other, full-time job = 12.5% time to play games.

Once you throw in things you should probably care about, like eating, you're down another half to 6.25%, which gives you approximately 10.5 hours per week to play video games -- almost exactly your 9pm-9am schedule. :p ;)

hahahhaha that is right on the money. Good thing we both don't want kids so I'll be staying in the 20% range.

Ahem... good lord, lets see...

Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda
Astyanax
A Boy and his Blob (never beat that one...)
Super Mario 3
Startropics (is that the right name for that game?)

Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Killer Instinct
SSF2T: Hyper Fighting
Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Mario World

Diablo 2
Doom
Doom 2
Dune 2
Duke Nukeum 3d
Blood
Unreal Tournament
Quake
Quake 2 MP
Quake 3 MP
Counter-Strike
Half-Life DM
Half Life 2
Star Wars Galaxies (by far the worst offender of all time, for me)
Command and Conquer - Name any title... except Renegade... blech.
Battlefield 2
F.E.A.R.

MDK 2

Final Fantasy 9
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2

Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Gears of War
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero 3 (watching friends play through co-op)
Bioshock

Orange Box

Watched many a Silent Hill and Resident Evil game in a group with friends, til late in the evening.

Ones I can think of...

Diablo 2 (also part of my longest gaming binge, got Diablo 2 and PS2 at that time)

FFX (was my roommate's copy in the dorm freshman year. it was a battle of who could beat it first, since if the other person was ahead, you wouldn't want to be in the dorm room for spoilers)

Everquest (many times, dark days)

World of Warcraft (launch for title and for expansion. also when i had breaks from school)

I won't count Starcraft, WC3, Counterstrike, Battlefield games, Medal of Honor:AA, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, since those gaming binges were due to LAN parties, not the game itself particularly.

Half Life + All expansions Half Life 2 + ep1 + ep2 and portal.

pulled them all off, in 3 days straight

i am sooo tired right now.

Halo 1 and 2, because I used to go to LAN parties for them. Besides that, I never did an all-nighter by myself.

let's see...

On the LAN...

starcraft
quake 2,3
battle field 1942 and every freeking mod ever made just about
battle field 2
quake wars ET
UT
UT2004

single player

half life 1&2
max pane
spinter cell (almost all of them)
morrowind
oblivion
GRAW 1/2
supreme commander
crysis demo

I would say everything Kahnvex mentioned but then I wouldnt have a post. So here are some specific ones..

Diablo
Diablo 2
Doom
Quake
Starcraft
World of Warcraft
Duke Nukem 3D
Total Annihilation

Back