What games do you think have held up best over time?

What are your picks for older games that seem to have held up well from the standpoint of gameplay over the years?

Also gotta say starcraft. Started playing it 7 years ago and still play it today. :D

Frankly, World of Warcraft is staying amazingly popular even though it's about 3 and a half years old now. Frankly, I don't know how people can keep playing a single MMO for such a long stretch, but I guess I'm in the minority.

There's a lot, but I'm especially fond of these two:

XCOM (PC, 1993)
Chrono Trigger (SNES, 1995)

I can't list all of the amazing C64 games, not enough space on this forum.

Doom 1 and 2. Still play almost every night.

"Mom, dont answer the phone."

"Ring, Ring"

"Hello?"

WEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAA

"God damn it mom!"

Starcraft, Diablo II, River City Ransom, FFVII, Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past, Road Rash 1 and 2, and Resident Evil 2 and CS as mentioned already. None of them ever get boring to me. There are plenty more like the original Thief which happens to be my favorite game of all time. :)

CS and WoW...CS cause it just owns and WoW cause..well cause it's an MMO and people pay to keep it updated I guess. Other games just die cause there aren't any updates

Falcon 4.0. Still being modded and getting updates in 2008. I think it is about 8 years old now.

Anything 2d from the NES and SNES era. (Atari era a bit less so but I still play Seaquest and Combat every once and a while)

Anything by Blizzard (Starcraft II will come a long but there will still be people playing the original and heck look at Diablo 2 still chugging along)

Duke Nukem 3d (if they would hurry up and just port it without upgrades to XBLA and allow multiplayer over XBL I'd buy it again)

Master of Orion. The first (and best IMHO) one. I still play that to this day, and i even have a DOS only machine set up specifically to run MOO.

Wish i could find my master of magic disks, that was an awesome game as well. :D

OLD?

Master of Orion and X-Com

Not so old?

Starcraft and Counter-Strike

Newish?

WoW and Quake 3

Quake 3 for me. I'm actually going back to play through all my old games, so I'll post after I get through the entire library:)

Command
---&---

Conquer

Red Alert

I never tire of it. So very well designed, simple, yet highly addictive and complex enough to keep you hooked. It's ALWAYS been installed on my computer since the day I got it way back when. Actual fact!

Actually, I think I'm gunna go play it now...

Command
---&---

Conquer

Red Alert

I never tire of it. So very well designed, simple, yet highly addictive and complex enough to keep you hooked. It's ALWAYS been installed on my computer since the day I got it way back when. Actual fact!

Actually, I think I'm gunna go play it now...
I used to play this game for hours at night, skirmish FTW!!!!!!

titans quest, star craft, warcraft3, C&C, CS, probably a couple others I'm forgetting atm.

Why would you people say WoW? its only been out close to four years.Compaired to CS and Starcraft its still in it infancy. I dont think WoW will ever have as much longevity as CS/Starcraft.

anyways... I would also like to add Quake 3 and Ultima.

(1) StarCraft
(2) Diablo 2
(3) Super Mario Kart (SNES)
(4) Super Bomberman (SNES)

Oh and Contra, Symphony of the Night, and Super Metroid.

Back