What games do you think have held up best over time?

Civ II -- 1996
SMAC -- 1999
Mechwarrior 3 -- 1999

MW3's clean graphics, particle effects, explosions and animations still look great almost a decade later. Civ and SMAC look dated but gameplay is king in that genre.

Chess
Tetris
Quake 3

Those are my all-time favorites for replay value.

I currently get my tetris fix online with a multiplayer version called Cultris. y'all should give it a try sometime!

Quake3 I usually just play with friends. Not enough friendly quakers at my skill level to keep my interest these days.

I need to find the time and discipline to study some more chess. Great game, just takes more patience and dedication.

I used to play this game for hours at night, skirmish FTW!!!!!!

Totally. I only fairly recently played through the actual missions. I got it off a friend real cheap just to play singleplayer skirmish 'cos I got so hooked on it. Then I got all the expansions (counterstrike, aftermath) anf played those mostly for the skirmish too.

My latest thing is play the "Path Beyond" map against 3 other AIs (hard obviously), full tech suite, no extra vehicles and no ore regeneration (can grow from spore holes though). It means you have a regular game until all the ore dries up and then you have a play a serious game of wit, strategy and economising in order to defeat the other AI's with little to no resources. Scouting for crates and trying to hold spore fields is the name of the game. Try it if you're after a long game and an interesting challenge. ;)

Well since people are saying WoW I'm going to say Half Life 2. :p

Something older: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Anything 2d from the NES and SNES era. (Atari era a bit less so but I still play Seaquest and Combat every once and a while)

Anything by Blizzard (Starcraft II will come a long but there will still be people playing the original and heck look at Diablo 2 still chugging along)

Duke Nukem 3d (if they would hurry up and just port it without upgrades to XBLA and allow multiplayer over XBL I'd buy it again)

This man speaks the truth. Add to that:

Total Annihilation

Chrono Trigger, I just recently played through it on emulator.

Mike Tysons punch out
r.b.i baseball
street fighter series
Legend of zelda a link to the past
wizards and warriors
Super Mario brothers series

None of the pc games I play are really old enough and I have really only been playing pc games since 2000.

Those who still play Total Annihilation, what do you think of Supreme Commander? Not a worthy successor? Or require too much hardware to run?

This thread to me is the same as the best games of all time thread, because those are the games I'll be listing. :D

Doom
Diablo
Quake
Star Control 2
Grim Fandango

I STILL play these games and love them!

Those who still play Total Annihilation, what do you think of Supreme Commander? Not a worthy successor? Or require too much hardware to run?
Worthy successor, I greatly enjoyed playing it, loaded it up again just a few weeks ago for a few skirmishes.

Hardware is not an issue, I run it at 1920x1200 on my main display and I have a second display running 1280x1024. Runs great as long as units stay capped around 500 or so. I run into an AI cap where the game speed slows down, scales back (need lots of CPU I imagine, or for them to release a 64bit binary!). But never had framerate issues.

Does no one like Source? I agree that the original has aged extremely well, but its predecessor will be around for just as long in my opinion. Adding it to the list. And another vote for Starcraft..that game is eternal.

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising form Novalogic.

I still play that game. The mod packs tend to keep it more relevant.

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising form Novalogic.

I still play that game. The mod packs tend to keep it more relevant.

+10

I play JO:E or JO:IC almost every single night. With the new MOD packs and map contributions from the community map makers it keeps the game very interesting.

Also would like to add votes for:

- StarCraft
- CS
- Unreal
- Unreal Tournament
- Diablo II
- Solitaire
- Tetris
- Minesweeper

I still play FF3(6) and A link to the past every once in awhile.

I was about to say Starcraft, then I looked at the first response. :D

Maybe also Rome: Total War. Still a decent following and the modding community is still hard at work on it.

Not a worthy successor. Although I haven't played the expansion. On the fun factor I found it to be a failure in comparison to TA. The default interface was horrible, the texturing was bland, and as a result of the modeling/texturing it was hard to tell units apart. Also when I played, the balance in the unit tech tree obsoletes the previous one (say Tech1 -> Tech2) in such a way that it makes it almost pointless to build any Tech1 once you start progressing along, which wasnt the case with TA.

The hardware required to run it smoothly in larger games might be more than the typical user base, but then again so was TA's when it was released, so I don't see a problem there when comparing the two.

I think it IS a worthy successor to TA. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love TA still, but it's old now.

Me and my brother went back to it the other week to play our old classic Painted Desert, us versus two killer AI's and fun as it still was, there are things which we really missed from Supreme; the zooming for one, my god do we miss that. Even after a couple of hours play I was still instinctively scrolling my mouse wheel to no effect subconsciously wanting to zoom out and about. Shield generators are a definite needed addition. You miss those going back too.

And frankly, the smaller amount of units in Supreme, I think, is a good thing. I barely touched literally half the units in TA, most are just useless. Even in Supcom you've got all the tech 1 units which are redundant. 3 tech levels? hmm, I'm in 2 minds about that one. It's seems tedious first getting to tech2, building tech power gens, and then abandoning them for tech3. It's psychologically an annoying step. Having just 2 steps is simpler and nicer. But on the other hand it does mean you spend more time building up and get your base together, which for me, is where the fun is at really. Once you're at tech3 and your base is secure, wiping out the AI is always a tedious affair. The fun is always in the building and defending your base as the AI attacks you during your weakest state as you're desperately trying to tech up.

So yeah, overall, I much prefer supcom. I'd recommend Forged Alliance as well. The single player compaign is very well done and aimed squarely at hardore players. Play it on hard from the getgo as I did and you'll enjoy it.

I have been playing starcraft every day for the last week. Patiently waiting for starcraft 2. I just hope blizzard doesn't fuck it up.

This has been mention before, but ill give my input anyways. Starcraft, CS, Supermario 3 and zelda.

For me it would have to be:

Castlevania SotN
Quake 3
Street Fighter 3:3rd Strike

Super Mario Cart is the best. I don't even like racing games. Theres just something about pulling out the Super Nintendo and taking Toad for a couple of laps :)

Oh, and an honorable mention to Chrono Trigger which still manages to consistently rope me in.

Alot of the classics seem to have held up well. But sometimes I rather not revisit them and ruin the 'good' memories of what the game was and find out that it might possibly not be as good as once remembered.

MOO2. Whenever I crank this classic up it still feels like I'm playing it for the first time. Never gets old.

Starcraft, of course.

Before saying WoW I would say EQ. I dont play it anymore but there are still people playing it and they are still making freakin expansions for the thing. It came out roughly the same time or earlier than CS did.

Planescape - Torment
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 1
KOTOR 1 & 2
SimCity series
Homeworld (the graphics still kick ass; and it's 9 years old)

Back