What games do you ALWAYS play after upgrading your GPU?

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
In past days I always fired up HL2 until that didn't matter anymore, then crysis.

I would usually play HL2 for a few days before moving on.

But you have to see how much better the eye candy is right? But then which ones compel you to keep playing to experience them anew on your new hardware.

Whatever is new? Currently you could fire up Witcher 3, FO4, GTA5, whatever.

Sometimes I like going back and putting the fps counter on old games just to see how crazy high they go.

Nothing really. I don't have the time to go back and play most games sadly. And these days if a game is too demanding for my PC I'll wait for drivers, a patch and until I can afford an upgrade. I want the best experience I can get and am willing to wait in most cases.

Whatever I feel like playing. It could be demanding, it could be text based game, I don't usually tie my gaming schedule to my GPU horsepower. Recently I had been playing Age of Mythology Extended Edition and Red Alert 3, ages old games that is not even remotely demanding these days. I might play through C&C3 again soon.

Grim Dawn and FO4 are currently the games I play that taxes my GPU.

I'll still play Counter-Strike 1.6 or Day of Defeat every now and then.

And I pop in on Rome Total War every now and again to play through the Campaign.

Brutal DOOM!.............j/k

For me it's to continue whatever game I'm into that I feel needs more power and upgrade for, otherwise I don't seem to revisit many games after beating them.

FX5700 Ultra to 7800GT 256MB for Need for Speed Underground 2/Prey/Quake 4
7800GT 256MB SLI to GTX-260 for Burnout Paradise (actually a whole system upgrade)
GTX-260 to GTX-570 for Saints Row The Third
GTX-260 to GTX-760 for Dishonored and Batman Arkham Origins
GTX-760 to GTX-970 for Maxwell hype (then dissappointment after 3.5GB RamGate)

Looking back, the 5700U was crap and should of never bought. IMO the GTX570 and GTX970 are unnecessary upgrades.

Crysis 3 was first thing I played after upgrading to 4k.

Always Crysis 3.

Gsync monitor eliminates need for high fps though. 60 is fine.

This is exactly what I do everytime...

1. Upgrade video card
2. Research and buy the latest graphic hog of a game
3. Tweak settings, try my best to push the system as best as possible, then...

4. Realize that yet again, I couldn't care less and the magic is actual fun games that most of the time look fantastic if dated or on medium.
5. Go back to playing whatever traditional MP game I enjoy that my last system could have honestly kept playing.

However, as I age I have more hobbies now. So I end up just spending money there instead. I could have upgraded my PC or rebuilt the damn thing 10 times over at this point if it wasn't for photography and guns. :D

I have Witcher 3, Dying Light, GTA V and Syndicate replacing Unity that I test with new cards.

Whatever games I am currently playing.

I benchmark and keep logs for a few older game static benchmarks as well to help see how driver updates change. This also tracks how performance changes with new hardware.
Currently using Heaven 4.0, X3:TC, Dirt 2 and Metro LL.
I may add GTA V to that but its a pita with its reloading at the end of each run, grrr.

I haven't upgraded anything in a long time because i've switched to console gaming, but it was always Crysis for me. However, when I do get around to upgrading my rig years from now it'll be Crysis 3. I tried running that on my current setup maxed out and it brought my system to its knees.

Whatever was beating my poor old video card to death prior to said upgrade.

Yes, I'll be playing the bloody game that made me upgrade dammit! :p

...and, of course, the original Crysis since the goal posts keep shifting and we're STILL playing catchup.

No, we are! - 4K res, 8XMSAA, 8X alpha AA, and settings maxed out obviously. I don't believe a TitanX can hack that...

For a long time it was Crysis 1. That was a pretty decent benchmark for years and years.
These days it would probably be some combination of 3DMark and trying to run newer games in 4K mode.

Crysis 3, every time. Before that it was Crysis, and before that it was Doom 3. I might replace Crysis 3 with The Witcher 3 when Pascal comes out.

I have to say that Crysis is still great, and it was amazing recently playing through it again on a system that could max it out at 2560x1440 at a near constant 120 FPS.

I guess where I was going with this is that there are some games that you play on limited resources that are awesome. Then, when you upgrade you want to reexperience certain places in the games to see how much more awesome they can be. Then you get caught up....

Back