what game, what game, what game... to buy

samduhman

[H]ard|Gawd
Going back an forth on trying to decide on game/s to pick up. Especially with some being on sale during the holiday deals. The dilemma being if I get say Skyrim or SW:TOR then they will pretty much be it for a few weeks at least.

Skyrim: I want real bad but hesitant because I think I should wait for mods but a lot seem ok with it as is. Especially the professional reviews on gamerankings/metacritics
Saints Row 3
COD MW3: wasn't that interested at $60 but on sale on Amazon for $35 so a little tempted
Star Wars The Old Republic: not on sale but banging my head wondering if I want to dive into this.

well thats the top 4 on my list of many. Any suggestions/comments?

They're four completely different kind of games dude. It's like asking if you should go buy ice cream or toilet paper. We don't know.

Last edited:
They're four completely different kind of games dude. It's like asking if you should go buy ice cream or toilet paper. We don't know.

:D I bought Saints Row 3 for $20 off greenmangaming. So I'll probably grab Skyrim or SW in the next week and just go with that.

Idk youre talking about the most popular triple AAA games right now. I'd hate to recommend any of them. Indie games dont get enough love.

I found a couple games that have been soaking up my time the last couple days and I blame steam for caring about small developers. I started out playing these games just to get the winter sale achievements but now I'm really enjoying them.

Orc's Must Die - You'll play it for the winter achievement but trust me you won't stop until it's done.

Killing Floor - steam keeps dragging me back into this game every time I think I'm done.

JamesTown - really awesome old school topdown shooter with a strange colonial times meets john carter of mars storyline. pay $1 for the whole Indie Humble bundle #4 and all the games activate on steam.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy - It's easy to dismiss this game as a wackjob Source mod until you make it through the first couple campaigns. This game has an insane amount of depth. Everything plays a key roll from the Cybernetic powers and hacking to the PSI powers and complex choice of weapons. At first I picked a weapon and thought I was overpowered gameover wait you get to the sewers. You are nothing. I'll give you an example. Some guy was waiting for me from around a corner with a heavy machine gun. I hacked his cyberbrain like GITS and told him to go take a dive off a balcony. Fuck yes. Kind of like Stalker mixed with Shadowrun.

Defense Grid: the Awakening - I don't need to tell you how good this game is. Check the metacritic user score. That shit doesn't come easy.

More later...

JamesTown - really awesome old school topdown shooter with a strange colonial times meets john carter of mars storyline. pay $1 for the whole Indie Humble bundle #4 and all the games activate on steam.
Jamestown actually surprised me -- it's really not the type of game I thought I would enjoy, but it turned out to be pretty fun, at least in short bursts (it's kind of a high intensity game). That last level is evil though...I wasn't having too much trouble up to that level, but I haven't even managed to make it halfway to the boss yet in the final level.

I feel Alice the Madness Returns is an overlooked game this year for a somewhat major title, a similar situation to Mirror's Edge (another previous EA published game), as it would be considered more niche for a PC audience. I actually found it amusing how everyone was way over-hyped for Duke Nukem Forever (another fps no way!) which was released in the same week :p I was actually looking for the new Alice game, and couldn't really care about DNF.

On sale for $7.50 in the Steam daily sales, so felt like a good time to mention this.

If you want Jamestown, I'd pick it up with HB4 since it has some other games, who knows what you will like.

Thanks for that. That's the most laughter I've had all day. :D

My recommendation?

Metro 2033 - Because I like the story and the way it looks.
or
Sonic Adventure DX - Because I played it on dreamcast and I never beat it. It's only $4.50 on steam... Or Sonic Generations, but that's like $20...

Skyrim: I want real bad but hesitant because I think I should wait for mods but a lot seem ok with it as is. Especially the professional reviews on gamerankings/metacritics
Saints Row 3
COD MW3: wasn't that interested at $60 but on sale on Amazon for $35 so a little tempted
Star Wars The Old Republic: not on sale but banging my head wondering if I want to dive into this.

My take on the provided list:

Skyrim:Too long to complete. Not my style of game.

MW3: Not hyper excited about this one. If you've played anything from COD4, you're pretty much played MW3. And I didn't like COD4.

SR3: I'm in love. Looks as if I'm going to have around 20-25 hours of gameplay. And its solid. Needs a bit of work on clipping, and weapons need a bit of balance, but this game is FUN.

SWOTR: I've gotten mixed messages on this one. Some have said its an awesome MMO, others have said it's really, really generic. From watching a handful of videos online, I don't think I'd be too interested unless a group of my friends decided to pick this one up. I couldn't solo the game.

Everything above is my opinion. You're welcome to disagree. lol

As far as Killing Floor goes, I couldn't figure out what the hell to do. :D

Back