What game to impress a friend, graphics-wise.

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
Hello fellow [H]s. Recently a friend of mine, who's been a console gamer since I know him, decided to build a pc.

So, he placed the order, I dropped by, and we put the little beast together, it's specs being:

Q6600
4870 512mbs
4gb ddr2

I won't go into further details, since I only want to give you the general picture regarding how it is supposed to perform. He currently has a 19'' TFT wide monitor, which he plans to upgrade sometime in the near future. But for now, that is the gaming monitor he owns.

So, my question.

Which game to give him, so that he will be IMPRESSED with it's graphics ? And when I say IMPRESSED I mean IMPRESSED.

P.S. : And, well, of course... which game except crysis or warhead cause that's a given anyway :p

peggle... but it has to be the deluxe version!

seriously though.. i would say maybe FEAR, Bioshock, Battlefield 2 (imo it still looks very good on high settings). Crysis/Warhead will definitely take the cake but these games are good examples of somewhat current/recent tech.

cod 4 still looks pretty awesome with the graphics cranked. i like the graphics/animations of devil may cry 4, cranked up it looks so hot.

crysis and crysis warhead

tho if you are buying these games, buy crysis, NOT warhead... warhead is such a damn disappointment (no editor/custom content/initial patch....)

I would say games that the consoles have. Fallout3, Left4Dead, COD4. A direct comparision is always the best way to show what they are missing out on.

One of my friends bought Dead Space for 360 but loved playing it on my PC because he said it looked so much better.

I would say games that the consoles have. Fallout3, Left4Dead, COD4. A direct comparision is always the best way to show what they are missing out on.

Most of these are dumbed down for consoles and don't show what a good comp can really do. Plus, L4D = years old Source engine (not that it looks bad, but its a long way from the latest and greatest even with the updates), Bethesda is always a couple years behind on graphics.

For the absolute best in graphics, Crysis or Crysis: Warhead, no question. And on a screen that small, you should be able to run them at next-max with the specs listed. I've heard good things about Far Cry 2, but I wasn't impressed myself. Supreme Commander is a couple years old now but still beats any other RTS I can think of, especially with its crazy zoom and variety of unit scales. Other than that, most games these days are console ports, so even though graphics tech is now several years beyond the consoles, most games are a long way from taking full advantage of the hardware because of this.

As others have mentioned: Crysis or Crysis Warhead. You can also showcase Oblivion with QTP3 installed (along with other texture packs).

Assasins Creed
Medieval 2 TW ... maxed out full scale armies looks pretty impressive still
Mass Effect ... Up close only tho, characters look amazing but environments seem bland

If ur gonna fire up Crysis, dl some custom maps... Physics map is simply jaw dropping

World in Conflict
Just about any DX10 game will do. BF2 or L4D (for any source engine games) are pretty dated. Won't be as impressive.
Some DX9 titles like COD4 and MoH:Airborne are pretty impressive as well.

i would say crysis........they have it on a machine here at microcenter and people are always impressed.

Dead Space is my vote. It's one of those that I think looks great in its subtleties (the grit pattern between the scales on Isaac's suit, for example), and will run great on that GPU and rig.

crysis is pretty much the defacto standard for graphics these days.. its a great game too

Even though Medeival TW 2 is old, the large battles get very impressive witht eh cities and will make most systems come to a halt with higher settings..

Sins of the SOlar empire also isn't too bad.

And if you had it i would say DCS Blackshark but that is more hardcore sim an you'd most likely not have it, but graphically it is a great game to fly.

Dead Space
Call of Duty 4
Mass Effect

I wouldn't use Crysis unless you had the hardware to run it smoothly at high settings; something like a dual GTX 280 SLI or greater.

Try Devil May Cry 4. You can turn that game up to some ridiculous settings, have all manner of enemies on the screen, hit the crowd with a level 3 forward dash swing and still maintain an silky smooth framerate.

Dead Space
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3
Company of Heroes

Most of these are dumbed down for consoles and don't show what a good comp can really do. Plus, L4D = years old Source engine (not that it looks bad, but its a long way from the latest and greatest even with the updates), Bethesda is always a couple years behind on graphics.

Game companies have learned that super engines < art. Hopefully more pc gamers will realize this too.

Left4Dead and Dead Space look amazing. Show them those.

CoD 4 Ghillie mission or Mirror's Edge

this is just me, but I also like the graphics style of TF 2

I think you should find a console game that he's played before.

It'll let him see how much better the PC version looks.
After that you can introduce him to Crysis Warhead, and he'll be a PC gamer for life.

Game companies have learned that super engines < art. Hopefully more pc gamers will realize this too.

Left4Dead and Dead Space look amazing. Show them those.

Bah, companies have learned consoles are more profitable than PCs and develop accordingly; it has nothing to do with art being more important and everything to do with the capabilities of the hardware. If art really was more important than the engine, games like Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire wouldn't be the niche products they are.

And L4D and Dead Space only look reasonably good because no one is pushing graphics further (except Crytech). If there's nothing better to compare it to, of course its going to look good, even if Dead Space looks little better than FEAR or X3 which are from 2005, and L4D is the same old Source engine. In 2004, all older games suddenly looked like crap because they had to compete with the likes of Unreal 2k4, Far Cry, HL2, and Doom 3. There's nothing like that level of competition of development today; in fact, Unreal 3 was developed specifically for the consoles, which is why it doesn't come even close to the Cryengine though they were released around the same time.

I just bought FEAR fro ten bucks and it doesn't look all that great to me compared to some of the newer games. I would get Farcry2, Call of Juarez or Crysis to demo the graphics.

For something that's not realistic but impressive visually: tf2 (all high + hidden highs)

I think you should find a console game that he's played before.

It'll let him see how much better the PC version looks.
After that you can introduce him to Crysis Warhead, and he'll be a PC gamer for life.

I agree.

I'd also suggest showing him games that have mods running, like in Oblivion or Fallout 3, even Portal or Half-Life 2 single player campaign mods. Modding is one of the top reasons I prefer the PC version if it's available for all platforms.

Really depends on how much of a console fanboy he is.

One of my buddies is the biggest console fanboy, and i show him crysis and insists that gears 2 on his 19inch crt looks better.

Like grae the modding scene is what got my buddies into pc gaming a bit.

Eiter Stalker game, Clear Sky more so.
As others stated: Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis.

And why Bioshock?? It has solid game play and a great story/locale but graphics are mediocre at best.

Eiter Stalker game, Clear Sky more so.
As others stated: Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis.

And why Bioshock?? It has solid game play and a great story/locale but graphics are mediocre at best.

Probably for the same reasons as FO3 and FC2; direct comparison between PC and console versions.

And I'd disagree about BioShock's graphics. It's a great looking game and the best looking game being powered by the Unreal 3 engine.

Indeed. Prince of Persia is the opposite of realism, but it's so fantastical it's sure to keep ones attention. No loading screen and smooth animations means you're gonna be playing it from start to finish.

However, there isn't much distinction between the PC and console version so it's not really a good game to show off on a PC.

Back