What game pushed you to buy a 360?

Kitt2003

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
441
What game sealed the deal on your 360 purchase?

I still haven't taken the plunge. No game has really sparked anything yet and I don't want Halo 3 to be the first game that does that. Maybe Gears of War? Not Oblivion. I think I'll just wait until the next price drop or maybe a bundle deal.
 

Baredor

Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
667
I'm planning to get one in the next month. Gears of War will be a must have, as will Halo 3, Forza 2, Fable 2. I'm also a fan of the Dead or Alive series. I'm probably one of those rare whackos that would usually rather play things on the console than on the PC - Oblivion, GRAW. I find it helps me with organization as I'm not trying to keep up with backing up saved games, un/reinstalling games, etc. I just want Morrowind on the backcomp list!

I do think the release schedule for the summer is pretty 'meh'. A couple rentals - Chromehounds, maybe Prey - but the fall should kick off some goodness. :D
 

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
1,615
Nothing... and I highly doubt anything will.

I have Oblivion for my PC, Gears of War looks like another Brute Force to me... nothing interests me for the console, unfortunately.

Oh well.
 

Psychotext

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
5,897
Dead Rising. That's when I get my 360. [Edit - I'm also looking forward to Halo 3, Forza 2 and the next Ninja Gaiden.]
 

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,800
I bought one cause 360's are cool, I didnt buy it for any game, I just play halo 2 on my lcd screen, and watch movies off of it really.
 

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
1,426
I havnn't got one myself yet either but it would also be, Halo 3, Gears of War, Forza 2, Saints Row, GTA IV (even if it is going to PS3 also-getting one anyway so), and plus others like PGR3, Dead or Alive Series maybe also.
 

Namork

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
178
It was Oblivion for me. I only own a laptop, and it's good for some games, just not Oblivion. It was a real slide show on there. But I'm definately looking forward to Gears of War and Dead Rising.
 

Filter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
9,517
bought 1 on laucnh day knowing that i would want DOA4 but so far im enjoying my 360.
 

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
2,243
It wasn't any one game - but more the abundance of overlap between 360 games and PC games. Why spend $50 on a PC game when I can just rent it for the 360 for around $7? On top of that, the 360 title is usually more polished and less buggy. If it has online play, it's almost devoid of cheaters. Something which plagues the PC.

GRAW is the perfect example. I own both the 360 and PC version, and I must say the 360 version is much more refined and fun.

There are certainly still titles I want (need) to play on my PC. Games like HOMM 5 and Titan Quest come to mind. But the 360 has come a long way to erasing the line between PC and console gaming. Especially with Live.
 

mr.dearthian

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
406
Oblivion was my reason. With Gears of War, Halo 3, Forza 2 coming, and the ability to chat anytime with my buddy in Florida on Live while playing a single-player game sealed the deal (he has a 360 also).

Mr. Dearthian
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
The18thLetter said:
Nothing... and I highly doubt anything will.

I have Oblivion for my PC, Gears of War looks like another Brute Force to me... nothing interests me for the console, unfortunately.

Oh well.

Um, yea...Gears of War is just like Brute Force...they both have guns :rolleyes:
 

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
7,441
The18thLetter said:
Nothing... and I highly doubt anything will.

I have Oblivion for my PC, Gears of War looks like another Brute Force to me... nothing interests me for the console, unfortunately.

Oh well.

Well you're misinformed then, because not only is the hype huge... but nearly EVERY critic/reviewer who played it at E3 was RAVING about the game overall.

You will miss out, unfortunately.
 

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
9,450
When I first got it launch day the only game I got was PGR3, which is an awesome racing game. However I was also getting it in anticipation of titles that will come along in the future, Halo 3, Forza 2, Fable 2, Gears of War, and then some new games since then have been announced such as Mass Effect, Too Human, Dead Rising and who knows what else.

Everybody always says, "Well some of the games are interesting but I am waiting for that ultimate killer title" Which is a fine attitude. However I look at it this way....why wait for that super AAAAA killer ap and a 50-100$ price drop if it will take a year and a half? The way I see it I am spending an extra 50-100$ to play some great (not super) games like PGR3, GRAW, Oblivion (looks better on my 360 than PC)

So people who wait for a price drop may pay 300$ for their console and use it for 3 years. While because they waited a year and a half I paid 400$ and use mine for 4.5 years. Thus I am paying less per year of use then you are, even though you waited for it.
 

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
I too didn't buy the X360 for just any game. I originally bought it as a hard core PC gamer who wanted to try something new. Since Nov 22nd, I havn't touched my current gaming PC at all. The games that i've had the most fun with are

Ridge Racer 6(this game is a treat)
Oblivion
NFS:MW(the PC version only supports stereo due to EA being lazy)
DOA4(by far my favorite fighting game)
Kameo(a huge surprise hit for me)
Condemned(the game with the "fear" factor that FEAR should have had)
PGR3(simple gameplay, but really fun)

I'm really looking foward to the following games

Dead Rising
Madden NFL 07
Saints Row
The Godfather
Forza Motor 2
Gears of War
Viva Pinata(please don't laugh, but this looks fun)
Phantasy Star Universe
Sonic the Hedgehog
Star Trek Legacy
Ninety Nine Nights

The bad news, is that my number crunching revealed that i'm only going to be able to afford 7 of those future games :(
 

Netrat33

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
4,894
Havent' bought one, but what might get me to get one is Gears of War and Lost Planet
 

beanman101283

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
3,051
Much to my shame, it wasn't the games that made me want one. It was the fact that they were sold out and extremely hard to get. I wanted to be one of the few to own one at the beginning. And i suceeded.

But GRAW, Geometry Wars, Burnout Revenge, and Marble Blast Ultra are receiving lots of love from me when i'm not playing Oblivion on PC.
 

TBONEU

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
500
I waited for Oblivion and GRAW to be out before I purchased my 360. I'm also looking forward to Gears of War.

I PC is not up to snuff anymore (since BF2) and I like the idea I can rent 360 games first before spending $50 to $60 on them.
 

Bop

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
3,285
I was rabid for PDZ before the launch... I of course ended up dissapointed. Single player was decent(Is it just me or is aiming in that game ass compared to CoD 2 and others?)

Next was Ridge Racer 6, that game did not dissapoint. I unlocked everything and got so much from it. Online is another story, it was laggy as hell.
 

skittzle

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
1,563
I bought the 360 because I havn't had a console in many years and I used to be a huge fan of them back in the Nintendo/SNES days.

It is a nice change of pace to play with a controller on the big screen. I am really looking forward to Gears of War and Lost Planet.
 

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
6,992
Considering I haven't bought one yet...

Forza Motorsports 2 Will push me to buy a Xbox360
 

Danith

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
2,617
I've been really really thinking of picking one up.. just that I really don't have a TV to hook it up to.. I suppose I could hook it up to my 21" CRT though..
 

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
1,615
theNoid said:
Well you're misinformed then, because not only is the hype huge... but nearly EVERY critic/reviewer who played it at E3 was RAVING about the game overall.

You will miss out, unfortunately.
Do you remember the "hype" for Brute Force?

It's the same exact shit. My friends with Xboxes were raving about Brute Force being the next big game.. showing me trailers and shit, and I nearly vomited.

Gears of War has the same effect on me. Well, not entirely the same (I don't feel like vomiting). I'm not going to lie, it looks pretty good, but too much hype usually leads to dissappointment in one form or another.
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
The18thLetter said:
Do you remember the "hype" for Brute Force?

Sorry, but no; not even remotely comparable. Not only that, but the hype that is being generated for GoW is from actual gameplay, not screenshots. The game has been fully playable for quite some time now.
 

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
7,441
The18thLetter said:
Do you remember the "hype" for Brute Force?

It's the same exact shit. My friends with Xboxes were raving about Brute Force being the next big game.. showing me trailers and shit, and I nearly vomited.

Gears of War has the same effect on me. Well, not entirely the same (I don't feel like vomiting). I'm not going to lie, it looks pretty good, but too much hype usually leads to dissappointment in one form or another.

Good point, accept your arguement is entirely moot. Why ? Like I said, nearly every reviewer/critic at E3 who got their hands on actual gameplay was raving about it.

So not only does GoW have tremendous hype, but the gameplay has excited those who usually are paid to find the faults in games. A VERY good sign at this point, and comparing it to Brute Force makes me think you're just somehow insecure to the fact the 360 truely has another megaton franchise in the making.

But hey... thats just common sense barking up my leg. *shrug*
 

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
5,593
Still haven't bought mine yet, but plan to as I've sold my original Xbox, used that money for a DS lite, and sold all the games I wouldn't play on my 360 or that weren't on the backwards compatibility list, so I kept Halo and Halo 2, sold the rest, and await Halo 3, basically that's all I want a 360 for... oh and for HDTV gaming and DVD's, hurray!
 

animasaki

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
261
Just got mine a week ago. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the system on the whole. Being a budget PC gamer, playing the latest games at lower detail is par for the course for me. After playing Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, Fight Night 3, etc., I'm absolutely entranced. Connecting the 360 to my monitor has been incredible. I've never seen graphics like this before.

Another huge plus for me about the 360 is that it's a console with heavy PC elements. I've been gaming on the PC primarily for so long that going from that to a system with no installs, no defragging, no spyware or viruses, no driver issues, powerful hardware, and above all, games that are programmed specifically for it is heaven. I connect with optical 5.1 sound, VGA cable straight to my monitor, slide in a disk, and enjoy, finally, the gaming experience I've been trying in vain to achieve with my PC. All they need to do now is give me a mouse and keyboard. ;)

And then there's the interface, XBox Live, and the uncanny ability this thing has to connect to and utilize media on my PC. Replace EVERY game's soundtrack with my own music? Voice chat no matter what I'm doing? Quality competitive AND cooperative gameplay that's (usually, heh) nearly lagless? Reliable, speedy downloads of game demos, movies, and etc.? Regular updates and content additions, including backwards compatability for XBox games? Wireless controllers with no input lag? Customizable faceplates and interface elements? There are so many things done just plain well and logically, I can hardly believe it. These are exactly the kinds of things that Microsoft needed to do. Kudos to them for taking the lessons learned from the original XBox and making something that I, personally, can finally say is truly more than a simple 'insert disk and play it' machine.

I guess what it comes down to now is less about system power, and more about what these systems can do. MS has really stepped up the integration between their products, and that combined with Live's huge success and continued improvements, will be a tough act to follow (or improve upon, for that matter.)

Aha, I guess I didn't stick to the original poster's question. It was Perfect Dark Zero. I know it has its own flaws, but for fans of Goldeneye and the original PD, this really hit the mark. There are ways they could have made it better, certainly, but I think they did an overall excellent job of updating PD's classic gameplay to more current standards. I LOVE this game is a way that I haven't loved a game since the original. The presentation, music, visuals, one-liners, weapons, gadgets, and overall feel are something that I honestly haven't yet seen matched in any other first person shooter. There's a certain visceral-ness about it. I can't put my finger on it, but there's a certain 'life' to PDZ that games like GRAW, CounterStrike, Unreal, Half-Life, etc. just don't have. I'm sure plenty of you prefer any number of those games, but for me, PDZ fills a gaming void that nothing else can. :D

And that's why I love my 360!
 

Karafias

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
417
I don't think there is any "must-have" killer for the 360 yet, and there won't be for awhile. The console is still pretty new, and it usually takes a bit for the good games to start coming out.

As for GoW, I think it will be an AAA title easily. I agree that it is good to not hype up a game too much in your mind, because reality can never live up to expectations...

I remeber when I saw Brute Force and my first thought was, "That looks like ass." And I was right. My first thought when I see GoW is, "OooOO chainsaws, blood, good."
 

TheWanted_

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
85
animasaki said:
Just got mine a week ago. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the system on the whole. Being a budget PC gamer, playing the latest games at lower detail is par for the course for me. After playing Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, Fight Night 3, etc., I'm absolutely entranced. Connecting the 360 to my monitor has been incredible. I've never seen graphics like this before.

Another huge plus for me about the 360 is that it's a console with heavy PC elements. I've been gaming on the PC primarily for so long that going from that to a system with no installs, no defragging, no spyware or viruses, no driver issues, powerful hardware, and above all, games that are programmed specifically for it is heaven. I connect with optical 5.1 sound, VGA cable straight to my monitor, slide in a disk, and enjoy, finally, the gaming experience I've been trying in vain to achieve with my PC. All they need to do now is give me a mouse and keyboard. ;)

And then there's the interface, XBox Live, and the uncanny ability this thing has to connect to and utilize media on my PC. Replace EVERY game's soundtrack with my own music? Voice chat no matter what I'm doing? Quality competitive AND cooperative gameplay that's (usually, heh) nearly lagless? Reliable, speedy downloads of game demos, movies, and etc.? Regular updates and content additions, including backwards compatability for XBox games? Wireless controllers with no input lag? Customizable faceplates and interface elements? There are so many things done just plain well and logically, I can hardly believe it. These are exactly the kinds of things that Microsoft needed to do. Kudos to them for taking the lessons learned from the original XBox and making something that I, personally, can finally say is truly more than a simple 'insert disk and play it' machine.

I guess what it comes down to now is less about system power, and more about what these systems can do. MS has really stepped up the integration between their products, and that combined with Live's huge success and continued improvements, will be a tough act to follow (or improve upon, for that matter.)

Aha, I guess I didn't stick to the original poster's question. It was Perfect Dark Zero. I know it has its own flaws, but for fans of Goldeneye and the original PD, this really hit the mark. There are ways they could have made it better, certainly, but I think they did an overall excellent job of updating PD's classic gameplay to more current standards. I LOVE this game is a way that I haven't loved a game since the original. The presentation, music, visuals, one-liners, weapons, gadgets, and overall feel are something that I honestly haven't yet seen matched in any other first person shooter. There's a certain visceral-ness about it. I can't put my finger on it, but there's a certain 'life' to PDZ that games like GRAW, CounterStrike, Unreal, Half-Life, etc. just don't have. I'm sure plenty of you prefer any number of those games, but for me, PDZ fills a gaming void that nothing else can. :D

And that's why I love my 360!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way about my x360.
 

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 28, 2002
Messages
3,564
Project Gotham Racing 3. Though not solely for this title; Forza Motorsport 2, perhaps Halo 3 (if there is coop play), and/or the next Need for Speed title, seeing as the 360 will likely run it a whole lot quicker than my PC at the moment!
 
Top