What game made you a PC Gamer?

i hated back for blood. have no idea why they ditched the most popular mod of 4 humans vs 4 infected

DoD.PNG

We had the original Atari and Intellivision. I had a TRS 80 as a kid that took cartridges and I mostly remember playing those. I remember playing The Bard's Tale and other rpg games. Then it was shooters. Consoles never hooked me since they were mostly platformers and sports. I played a few games like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc, but they were more an afterthought. Around the Playstation era is when I just kind of stopped caring about console games for the most part.

I loved the sierra games with all of my heart. But you know what game is the best game ever, as far as I am concerned? The first game to truely hook me and turn me into a life long addict?

something about the speed, skill, jetpack, like skeet you have to lead your aim, its just the perfect game to me. Tribes 1 Base, with the ski script, best game ever. Tribes 2 Classic (lol base) good god the ladders

Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg

probably this one.
unreal.jpg

I have been playing PC games casually since the mid 80's on Amiga's, Amstrads, Archimedes, and Commodore 64's.
The above game is when I considered myself a PC gamer and started to play a bit more.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight was the game that made me want a Voodoo II graphics card and a PC. Before that, I was gaming on a MAC and my first game was Graphsim's Sim Hellcats Over the Pacific.

What PC game defined you as a PC gamer? I do not mean what was your first PC game, but with what PC game did you consider yourself a PC Gamer?

For me, King's Quest V
KQ1 on a pcjr. :)
Nice. Also made me a lifelong grammar nazi.

Probably F/A 18 Hornet 3.0 from around 97 - my first combat simulator and first game with a manual of some kind. I read its book religiously. I thought it was the greatest manual of all time until I got Falcon 4.0 years later complete with its literal textbook of a manual that was pretty much a necessity to do anything at all.
As a side note, I can still whistle the intro sound clip for the publisher/dev/someone from memory for Hornet 3.0 despite not having played the game in nearly 20 years. I can also whistle it as my computer would play it when it was loading slowly, complete with the stuttering and clipping. Not sure why, but there it is.

Probably F/A 18 Hornet 3.0 from around 97 - my first combat simulator and first game with a manual of some kind. I read its book religiously. I thought it was the greatest manual of all time until I got Falcon 4.0 years later complete with its literal textbook of a manual that was pretty much a necessity to do anything at all.

As a side note, I can still whistle the intro sound clip for the publisher/dev/someone from memory for Hornet 3.0 despite not having played the game in nearly 20 years. I can also whistle it as my computer would play it when it was loading slowly, complete with the stuttering and clipping. Not sure why, but there it is.

I played the h*** out of Jane's FA18 from about 2000 to about 2004 that thing was fantastic. Bought my very 1st HOTAS for it.

My dad only had the shareware version but I played the first episode of Wolfenstein 3D over and over.

Oh, also the shareware version of Blakestone, oh, and Catacombs Abyss, annnnd Wacky Wheels.

so shareware got me into PC gaming.

Haha I remember Blakestone. And shit, speaking of shareware, any one here remember Barneystein? A mod of wolf3d that had Beavis and Butt-Head as the blue and brown Nazis, and Hitler at the end was Barney

That was 3rd grade for me, wasn't smart enough.

Cue 15 years later, I'm on my ipad playing RealMyst. Absolutely phenomenal, blew my mind away
I was but a young lad at the time as well, made no progress, but even moving around and experiencing the environment was a joy

It was illuminating at the time. Looking back, it was a slideshow. Basically a fucking PowerPoint presentation

Reactions: w35t
like this
I started with Quake, but Quake II is what really started it all for me. Then when the Quake 3 demo hit, I put all 46mb's of it on a 128mb lexar jump drive and would convince all my clients to let me install it on their PC's. I created quite a few members of the PCMR.

Can't remember if it was Ultima Underworld or Quake II. One or the other.

I remember hearing about chuck yeager's air combat (1987) , but as my one reply already said - Tie Fighter was the flying sim that got me to spend $$$$ on my first powerful (for the time) gaming PC Loved that game.. 1994. While PC's can be expensive now fully loaded with the top hardware, they were pretty expensive back then. Probably $3300 in 1994 - 95 is like $6500 usd now. That pretty much solidified that I prioritized PC gaming. :LOL: . . . Diamond Edge 3D card in 1995 was about $250 so $500 in today's dollars. GPUs definitely went up. :eek:

https://medium.com/@iain.mew/tie-fighter-7fc582586bc4

1*F2KcI7BIY-xBmVMJ6MPrPg.gif

0*rEwX736uTKRTe0NP.gif

Text based zork and lots of other games got me into pc gaming, and I liked messing around wtih M.U.D.s . A M.U.D. was a multi-user dungeon hosted on a bulliten board you'd log into via dialup modem. The game was text based like zork but with a character that had rpg stats and it was a lot more involved. You could even fight other players on the server. That was getting there but I feel like "Ultima IV" on C-64 made me into a full fledged PC gamer, playing long sessions of a big rpg game world that had graphics made it clear that I was dug into more in depth role playing games that PCs could provide. I mean, zelda was a good console rpg but not like a pc rpg. PC RPG's had more D&D like backbone to them.

"Tie Fighter" made me an all-in PC gaming hardware enthusiast willing to dump considerable $ into the hobby though. It wasn't until starcraft came out on consoles that I saw a similar genre of space combat sim on consoles but I wasn't really a console guy.

They had a Texas Inst. lab in Grade School the kids would raid the room like an Arcade in the 80s once I was able to get the single cartidge I wanted to play just once.
I think it's the oposite intention of what the PC lab was suppose to be used for just a Mini Arcade that made you eat your sandwich and drink your chocolate Milk fast.

But today you have Kids on Cell Phones which is x10 times worse than what we were doing no restrictions on there.

We had the original Atari and Intellivision. I had a TRS 80 as a kid that took cartridges and I mostly remember playing those. I remember playing The Bard's Tale and other rpg games. Then it was shooters. Consoles never hooked me since they were mostly platformers and sports. I played a few games like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc, but they were more an afterthought. Around the Playstation era is when I just kind of stopped caring about console games for the most part.

I loved Dungeons and Dragons for the intellivision and loves Parsec for the trs80.

Id have to say the x wing and tie fighter demos had me hooked in the dorms back in the day. I also loved the D and D games.

Doom - until then I was an Amiga (500 then 1200 with AGA chipset) gamer coming off C64. We always considered PC a joke with its primitive graphic and sound capabilities costing so much more. Honestly thought PC was for retards who really didn't appreciate computer graphics or sound and liked to overpay. But then Amiga made one bad decision after another on heels of DOOM coming out. And that was it, not going to lie, still miss Amiga and what it could have been....... But Doom made me a PC gamer...

Doom - until then I was an Amiga (500 then 1200 with AGA chipset) gamer coming off C64. We always considered PC a joke with its primitive graphic and sound capabilities costing so much more. Honestly thought PC was for retards who really didn't appreciate computer graphics or sound and liked to overpay. But then Amiga made one bad decision after another on heels of DOOM coming out. And that was it, not going to lie, still miss Amiga and what it could have been....... But Doom made me a PC gamer...
I was about to fire up some Lemmings 2 on my Amiga 3000T,
amiga3k.jpg

When this pop up popped up,

Amiga Win10 Upgrade.jpg

I'd say it was the combination of: Doom 2, Dwango, and local BBS's.

Utilizing the above over a 28.8 modem, I was able to download wads/map editors & play Doom 2 with 4 total players..

Dwango was so ahead of it's time.... and BBS's were on their way out but it was better than paying per minute for internet etc.

StarCraft and then Brood War. We would LAN Apple 300mhz. When a massive Zerg or Protoss rush was incoming, the computers would stutter/fight in slow motion until it was over. Played a bit Warcraft.

But what caused me to lose many hours of sleep was Counter Strike 1.5/1.6. I remember GotFrag, Team3d winning the CPL (watched it live on HLTV). SK, NiP, Fnatics. I dropped off when Source came around.

Fun fact: I was an admin on a server [H]assassin Clan Server. Don't stalk me.

There are several that I can think of from the 386 era. The choice is probably Civilization 1 in '92. But the runners up would be Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, FS 4.0, RedStormRising, Space Quest 3 and X-Wing.

Back