What game made you a PC Gamer?

NeghVar

2[H]4U
What PC game defined you as a PC gamer? I do not mean what was your first PC game, but with what PC game did you consider yourself a PC Gamer?

For me, King's Quest V

Leisure suit larry! j/k. star control 2? masters of magic, masters of orion? consoles didnt really have games like this. First time i played doom though, just floored me.

Oh yeah, we played a lot of kings quest, space quest, police quest. Anything by Sierra.

Leisure suit larry! j/k. star control 2? masters of magic, masters of orion? consoles didnt really have games like this. First time i played doom though, just floored me.

Oh yeah, we played a lot of kings quest, space quest, police quest. Anything by Sierra.
You pumped about the new Ur-Quan Master's sequel that is in development?

For me, It's a toss up if it was Star Control 2, The Secret of Monkey Island, or Doom.

I played a lot of PC games, but I think when Quake came out was when I would consider myself to have become a true "PC gamer." I was still primarily a console gamer up to that point, but from then on I was on my PC every day after school.

I was playing on PC for a while, but what made me a PC GAMER was probably Unreal, but I was still big into consoles up until the end of the Xbox 360. Loved the PS2, Xbox, N64, playstation, genesis, SNES AND NES. the game that really got me hooked on PC gaming as my primary, 'if I had to chose one' gaming platform was probably Battlefield 2. Squading up with friends at LANs as we out-coordinated the internet foes was some of the best memories. Personally, I felt BF2142 was an abject 100% improvement to BF2 in every way, and I wish we could get another in that vein.

Didnt really play BF3 or BF4 or any game in that series after.

Wolfenstein 3D made me want to be a PC gamer. I didn't have a PC or console until years later though.

I loved FPS games. I remember buying Half-Life based on the box art. The back said something about AI so good it can smell you.

It really wasn't one game, once I finally got a good PC I was a PC gamer.

But if I have to pick a game that made me a PC gamer it is StarCraft.
At first I thought it was dumb because it wasn't an FPS, but my friend convinced me to try it and I became obsessed with it. I'm still obsessed with it.

Damn everyone beat me to it but yep, King’s quest and Space quest, also really liked Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist. Started shooters with Wolfenstein, kicked up a lot though with Half Life, Counter Strike, and UT99.

Several Commodore 64 games made me want to switch from my Atari 2600 but I went back to console with the Sega Genesis. The one game that made me want to be a "PC Gamer" was Crysis. When I saw the graphics in a magazine I really wanted to play it. Then when I read about how demanding it was and how I'd have to build my own PC and then overclock it I knew I'd found a new hobby. 15 years later I'm still part of the PC master race.

Even though I played C64 games. I still preferred my 2600 console. It's not until I played F16 fighting falcon on my cousin's pc that I fell in love with pc gaming and never looked back. Even on a monochrome monitor I was amazed at how complex the game was compared to the arcade type games on consoles.

Diablo 1. My mom brought it home from Best Buy because the guy working there said it was really good. Then Starcraft. I think I was like 10 or 12? Then Half Life 1 and all the mods that ensued.

Quake and Ultima Online in 1996 but I wanted a PC back in 1984 when I first played Kings Quest, Space Quest and Thexter on on Neighbors PC. I used to go outside as a kid alot bike to the arcade ect...

b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6.png

GTA 5 I bought on Xbox 360 because it had no pc release at the time. I had a one with only Doom 2016 for a short while. I never really played it. I had a PC hiatus for a couple years or so. Built a Dell T3500 to replace the Xbox one and never looked back. I’ve been a PC gamer since wolfenstein 3D release and comadore before that. But I’ve played consoles too up until 2017 or so when I ditched the Xbox one

man so many awesome games up in here. I loved, and i mean loved, all of the sierra games. Space, police, king quests. Freddy pharkis as someone mentioned above was amazing. But cmon, no love for the best sierra games of all time?

Gabriel_Knight_-_Sins_of_the_Fathers_cover_art.jpg

Gabriel_Knight_The_Beast_Within.jpg

Can it be more than one game, but in a specific year? I came a little late to pc gaming having been a console guy for a long time. In 2008 I built my first dedicated gaming pc, and that year played Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Fallout 3 and STALKER Clear Sky. These games converted me to keyboard & mouse and I've never wanted to go back....

EDIT: can't believe I almost forgot, we had an Astari 520ST at the end of the '80's and of course 13 yr old me was obsessed with Predator:

27477.png

Last edited:
The first real game I played on a PC was at a neighbors house and was Space Quest 3. Instantly hooked and begged my parents until I got a 386 16mhz. Before that I had a Commodore 64 for years.

Last edited:
Back in highschool, Battle Chess in 89 on C64 was my first introduction to PC gaming, I wasn't impressed.
Then a few years later, I played Quake....nuff said.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Can it be more than one game, but in a specific year? I came a little late to pc gaming having been a console guy for a long time. In 2008 I built my first dedicated gaming pc, and that year played Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Fallout 3 and STALKER Clear Sky. These games converted me to keyboard & mouse and I've never wanted to go back....
dude i have 2000+ hours of l4d1/2 in steam. i was hooked like a fiend

I was not allowed to play games during the evening usually (either by rules or older sibling competition), so I was waking up ultra early before school to play, Sim City, then UFO ennemy unkown-Mortal Kombat-Red Barron-Sierra title Quest For Glory (dune 2 above) and so on, etc...

I am not sure I remember a transition from preferring console to computer.

back then the games were different enough (the Crusaders kings were not getting an Nintendo release or when they did like Sim City 2000 on SNES not having an mouse and keyboard available was a huge deal), which did not make much of an debate in the sense Final Fantasy-Zelda were not on the PC and Betrayal at Krondor not on console, almost everyone I knew that played PC games also played on the Nintendo, maybe everyone, the 8 bits Nintendo was quite everywhere by 1994.

There was not really a do you play call of duty-God of War on PC or Consoles back in the days type of question.

I had been playing zork, enchanter (both text based) . . maniac mansion, loom, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, and the old bitmap wolfenstein on an weak 386 compatible computer. I even played some M.U.D. However when I bought a stack of 1.44mb diskettes to install "Tie Fighter" I realized that a 386 ibm compatible wasn't going to cut it.

So a big milestone was borrowing money from my dad for the rest of the cost of my first real gaming pc (which I paid back monthly). The newly released P90 cpu. I upgraded the order to 4x cdrom from 2x, I think 8mb ram from 4, 500mb hdd from 250mb, and a 17" fishbowl crt from a 15" one.

That could play tie fighter very well. And things like doom, duke nukem, hexen, dune, warcraft, and others. Later I got a diamond Edge 3d pass-through 3d card so I was able to play Quake1 and tomb raider with smoothed polygons which was a huge change in gaming quality. I played a lot of painkeep quake. I did play diablo also which was fun for it's time, and a few FMV games like "Under a Killing Moon" , games like "Wing Commander" that had FMV cutscenes/aspects, StoneKeep - an RPG that blended FMV into the graphics sort-of. StarWars: Dark Forces fps was pretty well done too. I'd say that was my first "powerful" gaming pc.

Before both of those systems, I had an old atari 400 computer that could play miner 2049'er, popeye, and a few other arcade games on, and could do a little basic programming on, but I would have to say if I had to pick a point where I really dug in to being a computer gamer it would have to be:

- a very long time ago on my commodore 64. I originally only had a black and white TV to use as it's monitor. The upgrade to a color TV later with money I saved up was huge lol. I had a lot of fun games on my commodore 64, including a lot of olympic/sports games with various events but the real game that made me a computer gamer would have to be :

"Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar". It was a full fledged RPG with leveling, gear upgrades, a storyline and game world, even if they were little postage stamp bitmap characters and creatures. Although I had played games even on an atari 2600 console for hours, flipping the scoreboard on asteriods or whatever in the past - - the amount of time I played Ultima IV and the depth of it as a game was a turning point I think. It was nothing like an arcade game or console game.

That theme will be burned into my brain forever

Last edited:
Probably (mostly) Infocom adventures (like Zork, etc.). Now, I didn't have a computer, but several of us would play together solving the adventures at a friend's house with an Apple II.

Before that, it was hitting the arcades...

dude i have 2000+ hours of l4d1/2 in steam. i was hooked like a fiend

I ate up L4D2. My hours are still high on it even though I stopped playing it a long time ago. I played the hell ouf of the similarly team based, A to B mission based, "Warhammer: Vermintide 2" which has a lot of parallels to L4D2. At least until I burned out on it.

Back