What game is immensely popular that you just can't seem to get into?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
For me it's the Fallout series. I love the franchise's story but for the life of me I just cannot like the game itself.

Same goes for Morrowind and any of the Skyrim series. (Thought I haven't tried Skyrim itself, I did try Oblivion)

Call of Duty

Enjoyed the first one and fourth one. Heck didn't mind MW2 multi that much from what I played borrowing my friends copy (though the single player was atrocious). Was gifted Black Ops 2 and for the life of me I can't phantom how this is considered fun nowadays. The zombie mode is cool, but single player is trash from the little I played, tried multi for 4 hours to give it a fair shot and it was just freaking horrible.

Same with Fallout. Love the story and the atmosphere, the games just were not very fun to me aside from the original. I appreciate the mod scene, however.

The first Witcher is immensely popular on [H] but I could never make it more than a few hours in.

I clocked about 1.5 hours in GTA IV before dropping it. Strange considering how much time I put into Vice City.

- Diablo / Diablo II
- Planescape: Torment
- Baldur's Gate
- Chrono Trigger...The Final Fantasy games after III...actually Secret of Mana was one of the few RPGs I was truly involved in.
- Actually let's just say just about any popular RPG or RTS game with turn-based movement and/or combat. Can't get into them anymore.
- WoW
- Oblivion
- Fallout 3 (though I want to try again some day as I love the choices having actual outcomes)
- CoD games after MW

Any single player game. I get bored in an hour or so and go back to playing with friends in whatever game we're playing at the time. Then I never play it again and ends up uninstalled.

Wow, Starcraft, COD, Halo, MW
i tried very hard but i found i had a great disdain for these games

World of Warcraft

Skyrim. God that game was awful.

This and this.

I have several friends who have tried many times to drag me into world of warcraft but even before I quit playing point and click MMO's I found WoWs cutesy graphics to be atrocius and the game itself to be incredibly tedious.

I'm told the guy behind most of the originality in Elder scrolls quit midway between Morrowind and Oblivion. It shows. Morrowind and Wizardry 8 are the only D&D fantasy games I've found to feel like completely original. Like in the way Ravenloft books turned D&D on it's head.

Oblivion borrows heavily on very crowd pleasing D&D standards. Skyrim seems like it just took Oblivion and put it in a Scandinavian setting but is still very standard D&D. When a game like thats focus is on story these originality aspects are important. Regardless I found Skyrims leveling and GUI to be too bothersome to tolerate on top of its poor storytelling.

• Counterstrike / Counterstrike Source
  • Warcraft 3
  • World of Warcraft
  • Guild Wars
  • Fallout 1 (Never bothered with any after disliking this one.)
  • Morrowind
  • Oblivion (Played it until completion of the story, basically forgettable.)
  • Assasin's Creed 1 (Boring and repetative.)
  • Final Fantasy VII

Last edited:
Fallout, Witcher, and Metro 2033. Played Fallout 3 for quite a while and it was decent, but when my HDD died and lost my save file, never went back.

Too many to count. I tend to get bored of single player games rather quickly, I think Portal 2 was the only SP game I've finished in the last few years. Except my Super Nintendo games of course, never get tired of those.

Seems like Witcher is a common theme as well as Fallout. Regarding Witcher, everyone's always told me it gets better after the first chapter...but getting past that first chapter...fuck me.

Doesn't help that I have both Witcher and Witcher 2 in my Steam game list :p I'll get around to it....some day.

The 3D Zeldas, the 3D Marios, the Half Life series, the Uncharted series, the Halo series, the Elder Scrolls series, the Final Fantasy series (from 7 onwards) just to name a few.

The 3D Zeldas, the 3D Marios, the Half Life series, the Uncharted series, the Halo series, the Elder Scrolls series, the Final Fantasy series (from 7 onwards) just to name a few.

Burn the heretic. :p:D

Just curious, what games do you like?

I think I played Final Fantasy I to completion. I never got into the others. I especially hated 7.

Mark me down for WOW, Minecraft, MoH, CoD, Counterstrike, GTA ... all you folks who don't like the big RPGs are so off the island at the next tribal council :D

Out of the big ones I hear most people talk about:

- WoW (I'd rather stab my eyes out with a salad fork)
- BF3 I simply could not care less about. I actually decided it was too expensive at $6.60 on sale to buy.
- Fallout series
- Halo series
- Starcraft
- Final Fantasy 1 through 9,271
- Diablo III

Half Life 2. It's a tedious linear corridor shooter with overly easy enemies, crappy moron level "puzzles" and stupid AI and dull vehicle sections, (and now badly dated graphics). What makes it funny is that people constantly critisize other games for stuff that the "bestest PC game evar" does in huge amounts, it's just an overhyped 7-8/10 mediocre game, but the overhype makes it feel more like a 5. :p

I played the first Assassins Creed until I got to the second hub area, and then I got bored and never touched the series again. I couldn't finish Metro 2033. I found it dull and frustrating. I can't seem to finish GTA4 either, and I also dumped massive amounts of time into Vice City.

Assassins Creed games have always been the most tepid wastes of my time, no matter how many of them and how many times I try. Just awful, terrible, awful bad awful horrible games. So dull. I only managed to force myself to play the final chapter/level of H-L2 a few months ago as well. Totally overrated game. Rides on H-L's reputation totally unjustifiably.

Assassin's Creed
Oblivion(which is funny, because I really liked Skyrim...)
Dead Space

That's all I can think of for now.

i'm going to make broader brush strokes and just say two genres

competitive fps - because i have historically sucked at them, and the gameplay just seems repetitive and boring.

MOBA - another competitive genre. i haven't taken any of the games in this genre for a spin (LoL, HoN, etc.) but videos i've watched of matches just don't look fun at all.

edit: as for specific games - AC series. i LOVED the first AC when it came out on 360. i didn't play AC2 until it was on a pretty deep discount on the 360...the game couldn't hold my attention for more than a few hours. I just "got it" already....

Last edited:
Half Life 2. It's a tedious linear corridor shooter with overly easy enemies, crappy moron level "puzzles" and stupid AI and dull vehicle sections, (and now badly dated graphics). What makes it funny is that people constantly critisize other games for stuff that the "bestest PC game evar" does in huge amounts, it's just an overhyped 7-8/10 mediocre game, but the overhype makes it feel more like a 5. :p

Thing to remember is that most linear shooters that you'd rate better are remakes of half-life with a few improvements. The only media more responsible for how design of most shooter games evolved is the movie Aliens.

Thing to remember is that most linear shooters that you'd rate better are remakes of half-life with a few improvements. The only media more responsible for how design of most shooter games evolved is the movie Aliens.

id shooters anyone?

This and so this. I think the worst thing is the Story. It pretty much has ZERO story. And they never explain anything. If that happened in these days oh man it would be bashed to hell.

There are plenty of games I expect that I wouldn't get into, like I didn't expect to get sucked into COD when playing on free weekend and Tiger Woods golf, even though my friends love to plan get togethers around that series. But I didn't expect to get into those.

For games that I think to myself, "maybe this is for me": I'd say Counterstrike is one. I had a hard time with the original Dues Ex, though maybe that's because I didn't get far enough. Assassin's Creed and Final Fantasy as well.

This and so this. I think the worst thing is the Story. It pretty much has ZERO story. And they never explain anything. If that happened in these days oh man it would be bashed to hell.

It isn't the story so much as the experience. Being thrown into a bizarre world and finding yourself helping "the resistance." You don't have to understand the story to enjoy the experience. A lot of the 'story' was supposed to be a mystery. Where you only uncover new layers of developments but the story just never ends as a complete packaged deal.

Burn the heretic. :p:D

Just curious, what games do you like?

We all have our own tastes. Honestly, I find stories for the most part are a big turn off for me in games. When I play a game, I want to play a game, and not watch a poorly written story (which is still a poorly written no matter how many fanboys try to defend it). There are also certain other pet peeves of mine that every major popular release seems to love to include (don't get me started on tutorials).

I have a pretty broad gamut of games that I like, but the above is why I prefer Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy, Unreal Tournament and Quake to Halo and Half Life, etc. I prefer games to be games first and not to be some other genre that has gaming sub elements.

Almost every RPG to date, especially MMORPG's and turn based RPG's. I find the gameplay extremely tedious.

Most (but not all) MMORPG's are like this:
Derp...my elf orc throws fireball, then shoots arrow, casts spell, swings sword. repeat, repeat, repeat....derp. Meanwhile boss the size of mountain stomps on me, and all you see is a counter saying how many points I've lost as you stay in the same spot and make sure you hit the same fucking key combos to prevent from dying. At the same time a mob of shit demons and pig sharks are clawing at my back with hatchets and daggers and my character does not block them.

Turn based RPG's are worse. I just can't get over the whole "enemy sits and waits for my attack" thing.

Some people can suspend belief enough and enjoy the challenge of these games. More power to them. I can't stand these games.

Turn based games aren't incredibly popular. So I don't know how this applies to the current thread. But I agree with you. I can't do most RPG's and I certainly can't do anything turn based.

Witcher, definitely. I've past 10 hours in it recently, but I don't know if I'll continue. It's not bad, but dear god, I can't stand the combat.

I have both games but I can't seem to get motivated.

I thnk you guys are missing out in terms of Turn based, by diegarding them. There are many good ones out there.

Back