What game is immensely popular that you just can't seem to get into?

Did not expect such results.
The ones I like first off
WoW
Minecraft- Starting to get boring Have not been on the server I play on in around 2 weeks.
Champions of Norrath
Baldurs Gate
Final Fantasy series- I loved X
Jade cacoon
Legend of Zelda all of them
SUper Mario 64
Super smash Bro's

Ones I dislike
Guitar hero- any style of it.
Sports games besides NBA street NFL street and Golfing,
Fallout series
Witcher

The game is absolute garbage until you start to unlock and gain enough skills for the game to really open up. Took me like 5 tries to finally get into the game but once it clicks it's awesome.

kinda figured as much, I just haven't hit that breaking point yet

kinda figured as much, I just haven't hit that breaking point yet

To be fair, the game is a victim to its own hype. Almost everyone says "Deus Ex is awesome! One of the best games ever!", totally whitewashing its flaws, when they should be saying "Deux Ex is awesome, because of the way it did this, this, and this... but don't get discouraged if..."

After all, the first thing the game presents to the player is its merciless weapon accuracy, its bad hit detection, its requirement for using stealth while you're still unaugmented (without warning the player), and its downright ugliness. It's no surprise few people can get into it if they don't know what they're actually looking for in the Deus Ex experience.

Off the top of my head:

Oblivion/Skyrim - I loved Fallout 3 though :confused:
Halo - I can play it for a week or two then have no angst to play it ever again. It gets far too repetitive for me.
World of Warcraft - I played the original but got burnt out by the time The Burning Crusades released. I'll usually play for a month and then not come back for another 6-8 months until an abundant amount of new content is released.

Well there's your problem. :D

It obviously won't be as amazing now, but back in 1998 it was revolutionary.

THIS.

I don't know what frame of reference people are using to downgrade Half Life, but it was exceptional when released, 15 years ago.

Borderlands. I've tried playing this game a few times, but can't stay interested. Maybe because I mostly play single player games. Being in my late 30's, I don't know anyone else in my personal life that's into gaming.

Somewhat understandable. I play exclusively single player games and like it, although I stopped after a while. Still trying to pick it back up. It seems to lack just a bit of story to help pull you through it

PORTAL! god that game looks dumb i have both of them an haven't even installed them. my friends rave about them but the just look stupid an i don't find anything about the videos i watched to be funny.

basically any console only game

Both of these are just stupid. You've never PLAYED portal ? But its just no good, regardless ? One of THE best games ever IMO. Funny, smart, and a good game overall.

As far as consoles go, I can't play a FPS with a controller. But I'll tell you what, Uncharted on PS3 ? Outstanding game. Infamous on PS3 ? Outstanding game. Red Dead Redemption ? Outstanding game.

Just because a game is console only doesn't mean squat.

immensely popular seems to have different means to some.

Halo
COD
Post SNES Zelda
Sims
WOW
God Of War
Gears of War
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear
Grand Thief Auto
Pokemon
Super Smash Bros

I could go on into less and less popular games or say something crazy like Jade Cocoon (less than 400,000 sales) but that word Immensely prevents me.

How can the possibly even come close to being?

Strip away the borrish environs, the lame puzzles, the zero story and what do you have left? Crap AI and generic shooting mechanics with boring weapons. Oh and a huge steaming pile of hype. Theres a reason why no one says HL2:DM is the best DM thing ever. The only reason left is hype. :p

Generic shooting mechanics with boring weapons.
Gravity Gun.

If you think that is generic...

I dunno I really liked the story, it wasn't really "You are the big hero and you will know everything as soon as possible." it's more "You are in this world and these things are happening." just because you couldn't see the full story doesn't mean there isn't one.

Luckily, I was never there for the hype and never got it so the game wasn't tainted because of that.

The A.I was pretty decent, not crap.

I'm sorry, I can't help it, but all the people hating on HL2 remind me of nothing more than gaming hipsters.

I'm sorry, I can't help it, but all the people hating on HL2 remind me of nothing more than gaming hipsters.

I know some people who honestly did not like it when it came out. Not many, but a couple.

I can still play it and have fun. It's not a "hardcore" game by any stretch, but pretty well rounded.

As other people stated, it's subjectivity. That's what this thread is about, games that are immensely popular that you couldn't get into. Naturally, what people post should create outrage by most of the community, otherwise, the initial post wouldn't have been about a popular game.

But even what consists of originality in games can be subjective. Often, it leads to what people saw first and not what truly was innovative. E.g. For me, I found Ultima Underworld to be awesome back when it came out. Having seen UU before Wolfenstein 3D, outside of just killing things indiscriminately, I didn't see what all the hype was. It ran a little better, but it looked significantly worse (horrible texturing where they existed), only allowed you to move on one plane, had no interactivity, etc. Yet to many people, Wolfenstein 3D was revolutionary. At the same time, UU wasn't truly revolutionary either. It wasn't the first real time 3D world. Rather, it was revolutionary for myself.

To accuse other people of being gaming hipsters or whatever really isn't constructive. Unless they've never played the actual games they claim not to like, or are including sweeping generalizations about a whole genre, you really don't know their gaming background. And believe it or not, people do have different tastes. If there was a key formula to what made a good game, wouldn't every company under the sun just be creating that game and it's multiple clones? Companies don't try to make good games, they try to make profitable games, because good is abstract and subjective, profit is not.

Borderlands 2, I missed out on the first game and bought the hype... Maybe it's the cartoony graphics or the emphasis on loot grinding (boring), I just can't seem to get into it. Maybe I'll try it again but right now there's just too much other stuff out there that I really do enjoy.

Borderlands 2, I missed out on the first game and bought the hype... Maybe it's the cartoony graphics or the emphasis on loot grinding (boring), I just can't seem to get into it. Maybe I'll try it again but right now there's just too much other stuff out there that I really do enjoy.

I'd advise trying it with some friends. I liked Borderlands 1 and 2, but I get bored very quick playing single player. I put nearly 100 hours into the first one almost entirely coop.

To be fair, the game is a victim to its own hype. Almost everyone says "Deus Ex is awesome! One of the best games ever!", totally whitewashing its flaws, when they should be saying "Deux Ex is awesome, because of the way it did this, this, and this... but don't get discouraged if..."

After all, the first thing the game presents to the player is its merciless weapon accuracy, its bad hit detection, its requirement for using stealth while you're still unaugmented (without warning the player), and its downright ugliness. It's no surprise few people can get into it if they don't know what they're actually looking for in the Deus Ex experience.

The New Vision mod should greatly help some of the ugliness. There are a bunch of other good mods for the game too, I just can't remember which ones I used last time I played. I think I did use kentie's DX10 renderer but there are mods to fix some of the gameplay anomalies as well as to make the game better looking.

Still, even in its vanilla state, it's one of the best games of all time. But don't get discouraged if it doesn't look like a game from 2010. :)

Bioshock. The enemies were so annoyingly repetitive in their screams it drove me up the wall!

Warcraft? Never got into the kiddie graphics.

Great logic.

immensely popular seems to have different means to some.

Halo
COD
Post SNES Zelda
Sims
WOW
God Of War
Gears of War
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear
Grand Thief Auto
Pokemon
Super Smash Bros

I could go on into less and less popular games or say something crazy like Jade Cocoon (less than 400,000 sales) but that word Immensely prevents me.

What DO you like?

What DO you like?

I like plenty of Immensely popular games.

Final Fantasy all of the X and down
Chrono Trigger
Mario Kart
Mario
Diablo All
Warcraft 3
Age of empires
BF2 & BF3
Fallout
Golden Eye
SOTN
Sonic

But I'd say most the games I like are just under the Immensely popular mark.....Like I just picked up Person 4 Golden for the PS Vita and it is fantastic.....But just under the Immensely popular mark probably.

Everything you just stated is an OPINION and is therefor SUBJECTIVE. What if people liked the story, the way it's presented, Freeman's journey and so on. That entirely kills the objective argument.

As for your bullshit above that, wrong. Very little in life is subjective. Objective would be absolute truth. The Earth revolves around the Sun, that is objective. It can not be argued, it is 100% truth. A game being good or bad? The terms themselves are inherently subjective. You can not define good or bad without personal opinions and viewpoints, whether your own or those of others. Groups of people may agree on what they think is or is not good storytelling or gameplay but that doesn't make it objective, it means multiple people's SUBJECTIVE viewpoints align and they agree.

That the engine was terrible is objective. It was a common complaint at the time and of many source-engined games until it was revamped in recent years. As for the rest, you're right about it being subjective, but I'm invariably right in my opinions therefore those assertions become objective because there's no way anyone of sound mind or tastes could contest them. Or something.

I like plenty of Immensely popular games.

Final Fantasy all of the X and down
Chrono Trigger
Mario Kart
Mario
Diablo All
Warcraft 3
Age of empires
BF2 & BF3
Fallout
Golden Eye
SOTN
Sonic

But I'd say most the games I like are just under the Immensely popular mark.....Like I just picked up Person 4 Golden for the PS Vita and it is fantastic.....But just under the Immensely popular mark probably.

I'm so jealous, how is Persona 4? I've been meaning to pick it up for my lonely Vita, but promised myself I'd finish AT LEAST my current set of games I'm half way through now.

I never cared for the 2d mario either, didn't help that I was fascinated by 3D games at a time they were limited in supply

I'm so jealous, how is Persona 4? I've been meaning to pick it up for my lonely Vita, but promised myself I'd finish AT LEAST my current set of games I'm half way through now.

For me it is the best RPG I have played since FF7. It has a unique style too it that is different from pretty much all other RPG's which does turn some people off. But assuming that style and game type doesn't kill it for you its a fantastic game. One of the few games that actually make me laugh while playing it.

For me it is the best RPG I have played since FF7. It has a unique style too it that is different from pretty much all other RPG's which does turn some people off. But assuming that style and game type doesn't kill it for you its a fantastic game. One of the few games that actually make me laugh while playing it.

I've read up on it more than I'd like to share. :D

It's definitely my kind of game, for sure. Have you played the older Persona's? If not, I'd recommend it. Hell of an experience.

I've read up on it more than I'd like to share. :D

It's definitely my kind of game, for sure. Have you played the older Persona's? If not, I'd recommend it. Hell of an experience.

Played the entire Shin Megami Tensei set.

I remember playing these: FF7, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, Xenogears, FFT, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, and Persona II in High school thinking to myself......Damn RPG's are going to be so bad ass in the future....I was wrong.

I rank Persona 4 on par with the greatest of my youth....which is rare considering the state of RPG's....Still have nightmares of just how bad FFXIII was/is.

Call of duty 4

Original COD was a great game. COD2 was just ok. I remember there was some point playing COD3 where my brain just snapped at the no save game scripted checkpoint death loop idiocy and forever swore off the franchise forever.

Don't care if it's a great game, I'm just going to be an old cranky guy over here and remember an awesome single player franchise in the "good ole days".

Fallout... any of the Dirt Series... ummm hmmm, Tera Online??

Dirt Series? What.. what is wrong with you?

As long as you have a good force feedback steering wheel and pedals, they are awesome games.

Of course the same goes for just about any good racing game.

No good steering wheel and pedals and they suck bad.

Dirt Series? What.. what is wrong with you?

As long as you have a good force feedback steering wheel and pedals, they are awesome games.

Of course the same goes for just about any good racing game.

No good steering wheel and pedals and they suck bad.

I thought the DIRT series was shit with a wheel, actually, I ended up playing it with a controller, it was just better suited to it. Different strokes for different folks.

Back