What game got you accidentally addicted to?

Oh god, just remembered another one. I'm a little proud of myself for repressing that memory already! Thanks OP for dredging this one back up. :(

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning

Second worst RPG I've ever played, and it took over 90 hours to finish. I didn't realize how much I hated it 'till about 50 hours, but after spending so much time in it I was determined to finish. Never been so glad to complete and un-install a game as when I finally beat that one.

lol! I'm soooo glad I realized at about the 12-15 hour point how bad this game was. I think I would probably stick around to finish if I got to the 50 hour point as well.

The first game I ever got addicted to was CS. Then I moved onto BF3, Skyrim, and once I upgrade my system I'm going to assume BF4 will take my life.

for iOS I got addicted to Clash of Clans and Game of War.

Accidental addictions? Yea there's been a few of those... We won't speak of the intentional ones ;)

Civilization 1 - 256 color graphics, endless hours of strategy

Sim City 2000 - The endless pursuit of Exodus

Morrowind 3 - I truly had no idea I would keep playing a game for like 10 damn years, bought on Xbox when it came out, then for PC later. Now I keep this shit on a flash drive so I can play it anywhere with even a half-ass GPU if I want to. Ungodly hours... Probably 2000+hrs... I really can't say. I still find new things in it.

Homeworld 1 - Picked it up a couple years after it was GotY 99 or something because the box looked interesting. What a spiral that was! I literally could. not. stop. until I had finished it, then the next one, and then salivated for the release of HW2, which was sort of bittersweet, but I still cracked on that, too.

Just Cause 2 - Installed it and played for 15min, thought it sucked. Reinstalled a year later and realized how stupid I was before. Blew like 100hrs on this. Ridiculous.

Terraria - Couldn't get into Minecraft but this is like 2D MC; now with crack cocaine!

Borderlands 2 - Had it from a package deal for a long time, started playing it right around when the newest one came out. Had no idea what I was getting myself into. Over 200hrs later called it pretty much quits on this...

Last edited:
Driver: San Francisco
I just purchased it because I fancied the collectors edition package on a self. I had zero knowledge about the game. And it turned out to be pretty good. I wouldn't say I got addicted to it, but I enjoyed it very much.

Rigs of Rods
I don't remember how I bumped into this originally, but the beam/node physics were (and still) are amazing and far beyond anything else currently available. The game quickly got to be my no.1 go to thing for casual fun. It has absolutely no point or goal, and I've still spent probably a few hundred hours with it.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Ok this was not accidental because I wanted this game badly since I first laid eyes on it in a magazine. But who would've thought I'd still be actively playing it 20 years on.

Test Drive Unlimited
I'd just cruise around Oahu for hours taking in the sights.

I can think of three:

City of Heroes - One of my friends gave me a two week pass during their first Valentines day event (holy shit, that was 10 years ago tomorrow...). Had no idea what I was getting into, never played an MMO before, got laughed at as I was jumping around thinking I could dodge attacks... and was still logged in when the servers were shut down.

Team Fortress Classic - I had no idea what I was getting in to. Just saw this interesting mod pop up for HL. I can remember playing all night at times, literally wondering where everyone was then noticing the the sun was coming up. I still log in every once in a while. TF2 just never could replace TFC.

Stalker: SOC - Came in a THQ pack I bought for the Dawn of War games. Figured I would give it a shot and have played it through multiple times with all kinds of mods. Seriously caught me off guard, had no idea what I had with that one.

About 14 years ago, Dance Dance Revolution. A lot of quarters were spent. No dancing was learned.

Do you guys remember flash flash revolution? Lol
Yeah my buddies stumbled across it ten or so years ago and were hooked for a few months...ridiculous

Age of Empires II. I sunk shameful amounts of time into it. I never thought I'd play it to the degree I did when I walked up to the register box in hand (yes, an actual physical box.)

Jagged Alliance... I had no idea what it was when I bought it back in the mid 90's. So many hours spent on it and its sequels...the original ones not the new stuff. My Dad got hooked on it more than I did. I still laugh when I think about hearing him yell out "God Damnit Grunty"! more times than I can count:D

Path of Exile is the only game I can say I've ever been addicted to. It wasn't until a year or so later that I snapped out of it and realized I hadn't really been having fun in a long time, I was just a schmuck trapped on the hamster wheel.

Rogue on 8088.
Age of Empires & Age of Empires 2.
Double Dragon.
Phantasy Star & Sword of Vermillion.

at one point WOW, at another point Diablo 3, Another point SWTOR, and I have always been addicted to the battlefield franchise, and I used to be addicted to CS 1.6 and CS Source.

SimTower for Windows 3.0 is my most notorious example as I bought it just to fool around with it. Never did I anticipate that it would consume my life for the next several weeks. I find it upsetting that we still have not gotten a successor to that from Maxis.

mech warrior online.

I haven't been this obsessed with a game since BF2142 (and this one almost ruined my marriage)

I'm not even that good at it but I can't get enough.

Tradewars! Yay for my 2400 baud modem! Nothing like having to keep redialing a BBS in the hopes of connecting....one user at a time and all...

Oh, and then eventually Everquest. Not sure addiction is a strong enough term that time around tho.

Tradewars! Yay for my 2400 baud modem! Nothing like having to keep redialing a BBS in the hopes of connecting....one user at a time and all...

Oh, and then eventually Everquest. Not sure addiction is a strong enough term that time around tho.

Were these an accidental addiction though for ya?

addicting games are ones where you always are trying to get better loot, willing to fight the same enemies repeatedly. That award goes to Diablo 2. But then Path of Exile came along. That killed my sleep schedule. No, for my health I try to stay away from those games. PoE though might call me back when they add another act though.

Freakin Cookie Clicker had its hooks in me for 8months until I lost my save game.

Myth 2 Soulblighter... DWARF EM!!!! *throws explosive thingy*

i was like 10 when i started playing it

Im on leviathan on FFXIV. Excited for the playable game @ pax east for the expansion

FFXI. I liked it and would play that instead of anything else. But then, it was all I thought about and after work I would hurry home and play until bed.

I'm glad to see mentions of Stalker. I'm about to start that series.

Fallout 3. Fallout 1 and 2 were good and I played them occasionally but Fallout 3 really hooked me into the series. Many times I did all day / night gaming sessions with Fallout 3.

I played Fallout 3 & NV both twice with all DLC's. Those hooked me good, want Fallout 4 hardcore.

Nothing has hooked me before like CS:GO though, 700+ hours and counting.

The original Mount and blade. I was just trying some random demos at the time and one of them was the 0.951 mb demo. I was instantly hooked. Im still playing this early version due to my save not transferring.

Binding of Issac

Had it in my Steam library for YEARS and never had the urge to check it out. Pretty sure I got it through a humble bundle or something. Anyway, a few months ago I randomly decided to try it out and was hooked. Pre-ordered BOI:Rebirth instantly. Almost unlimited replay value and brutally difficult (in a good way)

For me, it was Dark Age of Camelot. I didn't even realize it was an MMO when I bought it (Impulse buy really). I had to quit when I would get up early just to play it before work, and started it up first thing when I got home. Only game I ever had to quit because it was too addictive. Still waiting for the modern remake so I can kiss more of my life away.

Prison Architect, my mentality buying this game was to play it when I wanted to game while I was short on time. It was the complete opposite. I dumped 60 hours into this in the first 3 days of playing it and it had to have been the most addicting game I've played since I first played a Civilization. I had to force myself to put the game away for good, it could potentially ruin my life. Though I do see it not having as long of an addiction as a Civilization game, but the immediate effect it had on my life is frightening, I think I only ate once or twice in those 3 days.

M & B Warband. Watched my boy play it for over a year before I gave it a try. I now have logged more hours in this game than any other, and this is coming from an original Atari 2600 owner in 1979 who hasn't stopped gaming since.

Quake 2 CTF.

Still the beginning, there won't be and end till they put me in the dirt baby.

There will never be a game that captured that enjoyment for me, ever again.
It was the dawn of online gaming, back then, mod devs would come play in your
server just to chat with you and thank you for hosting their mods.

The world has changed.

I'm with you except Action Quake2 was the one for me. I played tons of Q1/Q2 but action quake drew me in like no other.

Later Everquest drew me in and then years later World of Tanks and Fallout NV.

Xenogears....

I was like 15 or something. Was at best buy or some random place. I saw it, thought it looked cool. Got y brother to buy it. Loved the damn thing to death.

City of Heroes - One of my friends gave me a two week pass during their first Valentines day event (holy shit, that was 10 years ago tomorrow...). Had no idea what I was getting into, never played an MMO before, got laughed at as I was jumping around thinking I could dodge attacks... and was still logged in when the servers were shut down.

Same here. It's been two years and I'm STILL jonesing for the game.
Still running meet-and-greets for the community at Origins and GenCon though.

The one game that I lament in admitting I had an addiction to is Maplestory.

If any of you don't know it, don't bother looking it up, if you do, then you know why I lament getting hooked.

Back