What game did you Build your 1st Rig around?

First computer specifically built for gaming was for Quake 2 so I didn't have to run it w/ software rendering.

BF2142 and WoW, moved out of home shortly after 2142 came out. WoW and 2142 were my biggest drives to build a real gaming pc. At the time my laptop barley handled battlefield at low lol

My first self-built rig was an 8088.
It was primarily built for Word Perfect.

My first actual GAMING rig?
It was a 333Mhz P2 rig with a Diamond Riva TNT card.
Built for Quake2.
But used Descent to break myself to 3D gaming.
Played for a bit.
Horked.
Played for a bit longer.
Horked some more.

But, to this day, watching gameplay vids or watching over someone's shoulder STILL makes me nauseous.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a whole build, but I upgraded my video card in my old PC so it could play Ultima Online back in 1998. After that the first build I did myself was for the new Wolfenstein back in 2001.

Hence my join date.

I've never built a system for any game. When I have the spare cash and need an upgrade I decide on a decent budget and get the best I can with that money. The systems I've built have always lasted me a while and historically I'd usually build a new system or upgrade for the hell of it long before there was a need to. If there's a game I want to play but my system can't handle it, I just wait until I can afford to upgrade and get the game later. There has never been a game I felt I "needed" to play so I've never built a game for a system.

Wasn't a game, just sick of prebuilts.

So the build-
Sempron 2800-Socket A
Athlon heat pipe coolel
Msi Board
320gb HD-WD
OBV, no card
In-win case
256 ram, upgraded to 768 over the next few months

first rig i ever built myself was specifically built to play Air Warrior II in 1997 so my dad and i could play at the same time, we were the cool people on the block since we had 3 separate phone lines in our house, lol.. was a Pentium 166mhz but i can't remember what gpu i used originally but was later replaced in '98 or '99 with a voodoo bashee 16mb (which i still have and still works).

Wolfenstein 3D. Actually it wasn’t my first home built pc, it was a Radio Shack Tandy 486sx 25mhz. Bought an audio card for it and it came with Wolf3d shareware. Once I got that running, ram upgrades and cd rom drives were a must for Doom.

Quake. I thought I was doing good convincing my Mom to spring for 16MB over 8MB in our new Packard Bell P200MMX. However, I soon found out that I needed 32MB for Quake to run smoothly!

I started piecing together my gaming rig starting with Quake 2. It wasn't fully built on my own as I was just using parts from some of my older systems and upgrading incrementally. Around that time it was a Celeron 300A OC'd to 450 with a Canopus Pure 3d add on board for openGL.

My first fully built rig where I bought all the components with the specific intention to build a whole system from the ground up, I think was one from the AMD Athlon era.. I can't even recall which processor it was, but I'm pretty sure I paired it with an NVidia TNT2.

I put my first rig together to play Half Life and Opposing Force when I had money. After those games had been out.

Duron 750
ECS K7S5A
128MB ram?
GeForce 2 MX 32MB

I was so happy to not be using my dad's celeron Emachines.

upload_2018-5-30_11-13-44.png

Damn, I still only had a 66 MHz Pentium at the time, so I would not have been able to play this. If I had known at the time, I would have built a new PC for it ;).

My dad and I built a PC-XT (8088) with a Paradise 8-bit ISA EGA card, 13" (I think) Princeton Graphics EGA monitor, 640K of RAM (plus an EMS board with another 512K) and a 20MB ST-225 MFM hard drive, so that I could play Quest for Glory. (or Hero's Quest as it was known at the time) Then things snow-balled from there. Next up was a 286 with 1MB of RAM (30 pin SIMM) 256K Cirrus VGA, Soundblaster 1.0. That one carried us for a while until...

...our friends got Wing Commander and then it was all over. I've been building ever since. :D That's a pretty long-standing addiction. Hehehe (though in recent times I don't feel the need to upgrade as often as I have over the years)

Back