What exactly is the deal with GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most recall my posts here back in Nov / Dec when I was building both my kids thier very first computers each, as well as upgrading mine.

Bought the kids 2 RTX 3070's and myself 1 RTX 3080 plus all the other misc. parts needed for the builds. Got all that at my local Microcenter just walking in bought them at normal price. No waiting in line or dealing with scalpers.

My point, I recall reading so many articles back then where all these hardware sites were practically promising come late Feb / early March stock should be plenty and much easier to pick up a new high end card and by April total availability.

I have not paid attention to hardware stuff since I built my computers back now four months ago, so it seems like the situation hasn’t gotten better like they expected? Is it still just as bad as it was in the Fall?
Worse. More bots, better planning, higher demand.

I'm sure most recall my posts here back in Nov / Dec when I was building both my kids thier very first computers each, as well as upgrading mine.

Bought the kids 2 RTX 3070's and myself 1 RTX 3080 plus all the other misc. parts needed for the builds. Got all that at my local Microcenter just walking in bought them at normal price. No waiting in line or dealing with scalpers.

My point, I recall reading so many articles back then where all these hardware sites were practically promising come late Feb / early March stock should be plenty and much easier to pick up a new high end card and by April total availability.

I have not paid attention to hardware stuff since I built my computers back now four months ago, so it seems like the situation hasn’t gotten better like they expected? Is it still just as bad as it was in the Fall?
worse

Remember what grocery stores looked like in March/April last year? There was always enough food to go around if people just bought what they needed, but the few morons out there ruined it for the rest of us normal people.
So basically graphics cards are the new toilet paper & lysol wipes...
Maybe you are saying the same things that I will but I do not think so.

With 0 hoarders there would have been some toilet paper issues, toilet paper is a really predictable entity with a very stable demand with very low margin that was made by running 24 hours, 7 days a week all year long. ALl of the sudden residential toilet paper sold in the walmart-costco-grocery stores augment, even with 0 panic, 0 hoarding going on, because all the different sold in different channel industriel toilet paper used in office building, restaurant, hostel drastically went down and shifted for residential demand and it is hard to shift production and distribution toward one to the other.

We saw the same with banana, suddenly banana in grocery store got hard to buy and I doubt it was because many people made banana reserve, the smaller banana used in restaurant demand went to zero and transferred toward the regular bigger one sold in grocerys, for an entity with a very stable demand usually and strict stock.

Same goes for GPU and consoles right now, regardless of few people action, it would be an hard time for normal people. I cannot buy an PS5 anywhere and I am not sure they are used by miners.

Maybe you are saying the same things that I will but I do not think so.

With 0 hoarders there would have been some toilet paper issues, toilet paper is a really predictable entity with a very stable demand with very low margin that was made by running 24 hours, 7 days a week all year long. ALl of the sudden residential toilet paper sold in the walmart-costco-grocery stores augment, even with 0 panic, 0 hoarding going on, because all the different sold in different channel industriel toilet paper used in office building, restaurant, hostel drastically went down and shifted for residential demand and it is hard to shift production and distribution toward one to the other.

We saw the same with banana, suddenly banana in grocery store got hard to buy and I doubt it was because many people made banana reserve, the smaller banana used in restaurant demand went to zero and transferred toward the regular bigger one sold in grocerys, for an entity with a very stable demand usually and strict stock.

Same goes for GPU and consoles right now, regardless of few people action, it would be an hard time for normal people. I cannot buy an PS5 anywhere and I am not sure they are used by miners.
It was a joke, but thank you for your analysis.

Yeah I got that impression too. 3080's were also what all the miners were buying up.
People in general, not just miners, are buying whatever they can get. The only ones sitting out are the ones not willing to deal with the hassle or pay the price premiums.

Worse actually. At least for me, it's actually harder to get gpu's than nov/dec.

Worse actually. At least for me, it's actually harder to get gpu's than nov/dec.

That's crazy. I thought everyone said last Fall that by Spring 2021 supply wouid be substantially better.

I recall reading then that sources saying Feb / March things would get better and by April / May everything wouid be in stock.

That's crazy. I thought everyone said last Fall that by Spring 2021 supply wouid be substantially better.

I recall reading then that sources saying Feb / March things would get better and by April / May everything wouid be in stock.
Crypto surge and "tariffs" in January nobody predicted.
Without those, it would probably be better by now.

So here we are.......6 months in and you can't find a new GPU anywhere for even a modest jack over MSRP (Im talking etail, not eBay)

What the hell happened?

poor production?
poor planning?
sudden demand?
lack of parts?
"the COVID"
greed?

what is the truth Mulder?
I think the same thing that is happening to GPUs/microprocessors is occurring with other industries as well such as hunting/target shooting, (ammo) and the automobile industry. My coworker said that she was the last person to purchase the remaining 2020 Crossover SUV the dealership had. The dealership didn't even have any 2021 SUVs on the floor. Demand is high for many things and the supply just isn't there right now. I hope that everything stablizes by the end of the year but we probably won't see anything stabilize until Q2 of 2022.

I think the same thing that is happening to GPUs/microprocessors is occurring with other industries as well such as hunting/target shooting, (ammo) and the automobile industry. My coworker said that she was the last person to purchase the remaining 2020 Crossover SUV the dealership had. The dealership didn't even have any 2021 SUVs on the floor. Demand is high for many things and the supply just isn't there right now. I hope that everything stablizes by the end of the year but we probably won't see anything stabilize until Q2 of 2022.
Ammunition is fairly easy to understand......there are around 6 million new gun owners since March 2020, the makers of ammunition simply can't make enough to supply the new guys and the usual customers.
I guess silicone is the same....GPUs are nonexistant except at wildly inflated prices, which I'm sorry I simply won't pay. That same silicone shortage is affecting cars sales.
Ford came out today and said that their current production is being disrupted by difficulty obtaining computer chips for the various controls and computers in their cars.
Not to mention the fact that in the US the government is giving away money, which has alot of folks with money to spend.

I'm thinking I may not be able to upgrade my GPU until this time next year.......maybe.
Honestly, it really matters little, there is nothing new worth buying to play anyway.

I’ll be honest when I redid my system this past Fall and built my kids their first computers, all of us have high end GPUs 3070's and a 3080.

Fast forward a few months later and I’m really not gaming as much most of the games I’ve played I’m done with already are pretty bored of them so these bad ass gaming rigs I built are just sitting around now.

I'm a big WoW player and play it at 4k res maxed Ultra settings with 8xAA, the game looks amazing like that on a high refresh rate 144hz monitor. But I'm bored to death with Shadowlands and not really playing it.

So my high end system is not really getting used like I expected.

We need some new FUN games again. Maybe Battlefield 6 or Diablo IV will bring me back

I’ll be honest when I redid my system this past Fall and built my kids their first computers, all of us have high end GPUs 3070's and a 3080.

Fast forward a few months later and I’m really not gaming as much most of the games I’ve played I’m done with already are pretty bored of them so these bad ass gaming rigs I built are just sitting around now.

I'm a big WoW player and play it at 4k res maxed Ultra settings with 8xAA, the game looks amazing like that on a high refresh rate 144hz monitor. But I'm bored to death with Shadowlands and not really playing it.

So my high end system is not really getting used like I expected.

We need some new FUN games again. Maybe Battlefield 6 or Diablo IV will bring me back

+1. A buddy of mine asked me last week what games I was looking forward. None was the answer (on PC at least, have maybe a few on Switch).

anyone have luck getting a gpu from amazon? got the notification on discord and 10 seconds later I tried adding to cart, but it said it was already gone.

anyone have luck getting a gpu from amazon? got the notification on discord and 10 seconds later I tried adding to cart, but it said it was already gone.

The bots practically OWN Amazon -- consider that place impossible to buy a GPU from right now.

1617316237628.gif

I'm currently replaying through Borderlands 3 - l liked the story, but shortly after I left the planet, I started to die over-and-over again using Moze (just too slow, and I always ended-up being an easy target after the Bear died. All previous games soldiers had just used an automated turret, that you didn't have to get involved aiming (and simultaneously make yourself an even-bigger target after it falls).

I'm replaying with Amara, and I'm enjoying not dying nearly-as-much this time through! She's a lot more maneuverable (and the special is single-shot overpowered goodness!)

I could pick-up some newer games, but the performance woulds be even worse on my 1060 6gb, (plus, Steam is still charging $30 *on SALE* for RPGs that just hit the two-year mark, like The Outer Worlds). Not willing to spend that kind of money on another shitty Console RPG that I will get bored with within 5 hours. (felt a lot less burned by Witcher 3, because I got it for $20).

Borderlands 3 is the only AAA game I purchased in the last year thata I haven't gotten bred with in under ten hours - this includes Doom Eternal, Star Wars Fallen Order.

I'm waiting for a deal on games like The Outer Worlds (New Vegas was an empty world with zero replay value, and I got bored before I finished it), an d Cyberpunk (I hated witcher 3's controls/quest interactions and fairly empty world.) Not feeling like spending insane amounts of money to be disappointed too late to get a refund.

Going to give the Outriders demo a go.

Last edited:
I'm currently replaying through Borderlands 3 - l liked the story, but shortly after I left the planet, I started to die over-and-over again using Moze (just too slow, and I always ended-up being an easy target after the Bear died. All previous games soldiers had just used an automated turret, that you didn't have to get involved aiming (and simultaneously make yourself an even-bigger target after it falls).

I'm replaying with Amara, and I'm enjoying not dying nearly-as-much this time through! She's a lot more maneuverable (and the special is single-shot overpowered goodness!)

I could pick-up some newer games, but the performance woulds be even worse on my 1060 6gb, (plus, Steam is still charging $30 *on SALE* for RPGs that just hit the two-year mark, like The Outer Worlds). Not willing to spend that kind of money on another shitty Console RPG that I will get bored with within 5 hours. (felt a lot less burned by Witcher 3, because I got it for $20).

Borderlands 3 is the only AAA game I purchased in the last year thata I haven't gotten bred with in under ten hours - this includes Doom Eternal, Star Wars Fallen Order.

I'm waiting for a deal on games like The Outer Worlds (New Vegas was an empty world with zero replay value, and I got bored before I finished it), an d Cyberpunk (I hated witcher 3's controls/quest interactions and fairly empty world.) Not feeling like spending insane amounts of money to be disappointed too late to get a refund.

Going to give the Outriders demo a go.
Kinda off topic, but there's some Witcher 3 mods that aim to provide the combat demo'd at E3 prior to release. You should try it out if you were only turned off by the combat. I tried it out too late into the game (was already used to the standard combat and didn't really hate it) but it seemed a lot more fluid. Was also really difficult to get right so it might be up your alley.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3474
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/5312

If you like cRPGs, Pathfinder War of the Righteous is going to be good. I'm in beta right now and I think it's in a good state. They just need to flesh out item drops and I think they'll have a much better game on release than their first one.

People in general, not just miners, are buying whatever they can get. The only ones sitting out are the ones not willing to deal with the hassle or pay the price premiums.
Yes, however with miners having direct sources with AIB's and others to buy pallets of cards, they were targeting 3080's making 3080's basically the rarest and hardest card to get for your average gamer out of the 30-series.

BB seems to have a cool down wait after you get it in your cart. Don't know if that will help with the bots, tho. waiting on a 3090 for @1500. On the other hand, that discord server is quick enough to get to the stock before they are gone, for BB anyway.

Well, crap, no luck this time. It's kind of like doing a scratch off and getting 4 of out of 5 numbers, but not the 5th.

BB seems to have a cool down wait after you get it in your cart. Don't know if that will help with the bots, tho. waiting on a 3090 for @1500. On the other hand, that discord server is quick enough to get to the stock before they are gone, for BB anyway.

Well, crap, no luck this time. It's kind of like doing a scratch off and getting 4 of out of 5 numbers, but not the 5th.
I was at the waiting to add to cart step for several different cards multiple times at best buy today. after 25 minutes or so the add to cart button shows up but it says its gone. I guess so many people are at that waiting step, and then best buy randomly gives a few people a shot to add to cart and buy. so its pretty much like winning the lottery. doesn't matter how fast you are. 1000s of people are there at the same time in that step.

Yes, however with miners having direct sources with AIB's and others to buy pallets of cards, they were targeting 3080's making 3080's basically the rarest and hardest card to get for your average gamer out of the 30-series.
Some miners may have these direct sources but a great many, probably the vast majority, do not. In any case the 3080 is also the most in demand of the 3000 series by gamers as well, at least over the 3090 anyway.

I was watching the ifixit stock stream and at around 915am, he claimed his inside source says there would be no drop. So I started working (from home). Low and behold, I look over around 935am, and I'm 5 min late to the Best Buy drop. I tried to make do, but I still got a Gigabyte RTX 3060 card. I had an EVGA 3060Ti FTW in cart, but no local pickup.

I think if I actually stared at my screen for the drop, it could've been a much nicer day.

Last edited:
I’ve only been able to get Xbox Series X and PS5 consoles. I have 1 Xbox and 1 PS5 bundle. Can’t get a card for shit.

I’ve only been able to get Xbox Series X and PS5 consoles. I have 1 Xbox and 1 PS5 bundle. Can’t get a card for shit.
I could get some cards at very inflated prices from a store, but I have yet to see a next gen console other then the series S, looks like Sony and MS are sending most if not all their stock to the US.

The site I use to check on prices and availability does not even list the consoles (again other then the series S)

I was at the perinatologist with my wife for her 20-week exam. Discord notifications on my phone were too delayed to get in the Best Buy queues fast enough to snag anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back