What exactly is the deal with GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember where but I think I've seen something that said some governments, I don't know which, have outlawed their citizens owning too much compute out of fear that it'd become trivial to brute force encryption. Anyone heard of something like that out am I out to lunch
I'm not sure which countries that would be, but you don't have to look far to see the pattern between things like Trusted Computed, the Intel Management Engine, and various forms of DRM to see that there is a large interest in controlling what users can do with their computers, and eventually the same technology that secures corporate and government networks against unauthorized user actions could be used to take away general purpose computing from the unwashed masses.

I have a RX 580 in my closet that I considered selling after checking the prices, and around $400 does seem to be the going price. Then I thought better of selling it, because it is the only decent backup card I have on hand. If my primary card kicked the bucket, I'd be hosed with the way things are now.
I would sell it while it's still worth something, and if you need one, buy a 4GB card or something that's still cheap as a backup. 4GB cards and under can't be used for ETH mining (effectively) and are worthless for bitcoin, so their prices are still affordable for the most part.

I'm not sure which countries that would be, but you don't have to look far to see the pattern between things like Trusted Computed, the Intel Management Engine, and various forms of DRM to see that there is a large interest in controlling what users can do with their computers, and eventually the same technology that secures corporate and government networks against unauthorized user actions could be used to take away general purpose computing from the unwashed masses.

The question is would it really be a problem? Yes I know anyone can get new power basically if they need it. You just need to pay for it of course. Not talking about extra monthly cost but having it installed.

Is $486 Canadian dollars a lot for a GTX 1660 Super Ultra? I mean the model number 06G-P4-1068-KR

No one knows when their card might die. And he's right, if it does, he's really screwed with no decent back up.
Especially if no cpu video to even check your email and watch youtube videos.
I likely wont sell my 1050ti for hat reason

Smarthphone and smarttv (and other) made that much rarer at least.
Yeah I didnt use a pc for 4 years till 4 months ago.
my old build was outdated and started having stability issues. I didnt feel like fixing it since old and the case is HUGE.
I want small and non flamboyant now.

What's the deal with airplane peanuts?

5088q2.jpg

The EVGA website allows you to create an account and then get into the queue to buy a card. I like their method, but if you've been on the list since Dec 3 for a 3080 and am still waiting... well how long will it be? Nobody knows.

The EVGA website allows you to create an account and then get into the queue to buy a card. I like their method, but if you've been on the list since Dec 3 for a 3080 and am still waiting... well how long will it be? Nobody knows.
The 3080 FTW3 is on September 19th, 2 days after launch. The other models are even farther back.
So the answer is never, the 40 series will be out and the 30 series discontinued. They probably won't even finish September.

OMG. Also, how do you know which date they are on?
They post it every weekday. EVGA North American Queue. Movement, if any, is measured in seconds. I've been following it since before the first of the year and yeah, I don't think hardly anyone is gonna get cards out of it. There just isn't enough supply to matter. My best time is for the 3898 hybrid (3080 FTW3). I'm about 11 minutes away. But at the rate they're going it'll be summer or maybe fall before I get a card. Really frustrating.

They post it every weekday. EVGA North American Queue. Movement, if any, is measured in seconds. I've been following it since before the first of the year and yeah, I don't think hardly anyone is gonna get cards out of it. There just isn't enough supply to matter. My best time is for the 3898 hybrid (3080 FTW3). I'm about 11 minutes away. But at the rate they're going it'll be summer or maybe fall before I get a card. Really frustrating.
With this kind of progress, I don't see the point of checking this list every day. Or even every week. Maybe after the 4000s are announced and shipping, I'll be able to get a 3060 Ti at a "reasonable" price.

With this kind of progress, I don't see the point of checking this list every day. Or even every week. Maybe after the 4000s are announced and shipping, I'll be able to get a 3060 Ti at a "reasonable" price.
Or maybe the RTX 5000's are out! Naw. It's useless. I was doing that at first. That and following the thread on the queue New EVGA.com Notification Checkout Process. The thread is almost 900 pages long now! Every day I was following the thread with rapt attention. But it's just a waste of time. I'm down to checking the queue maybe once a week, but once a month would probably be fine. Really disappointing.

If you don’t check it every day you might miss your 8 hour window.

lame process is lame.

Reactions: x509
like this
not only that but when the 3070 first came out they were selling them on the nvidia website. then at some point they were like, hey, instead of us making all the money, lets let best buy take a piece of the pie.

with supply as low as it is, why would any manufactorer let retailers sell them? thats just lost money.
Honestly, why doesnt nvidia just keep all their gpus, stop selling, and just mine with them? msrp=lost money. Maybe then their ceo could afford an even cooler leather jacket.

And that night, as with the last several nights, she lay awake. He slept soundly, and for that she was glad. The sounds of regular soft breathing were some form of cold comfort.

But she felt dissatisfied, there was no denying this. Something was missing. The magic which once existed was gone. As she lay awake gazing at the pictures on the wall which hearkened back to happier times, she tearlessly closed her eyes once again. Just as she has done for months. The halcyon days of the 1080ti were long gone. She always hailed herself as a pragmatist, but found solace in the romance of yesteryear nonetheless.

A little part of her whispers "tomorrow is another day, perhaps things will change". But They do not really change, do they? Dark tentacles of doubt coil about her mind.

And so the next morning, she launches discord, as she always does. Monitors stockdrops while she fixes idiotic problems in products which folks will buy someday, but it feels shallow. Sometimes the heart needs an RTX 3080, plain and simple. For that there is no balm. No salve.

This day is much like all the rest. A cup of coffee, a slight smile with a "good morning", perhaps with a trite question about the weather. And an ever-so-slight hope for magic stock which appears. Somewhere. And for a golden ticket lucky click. But inside, another step towards madness she knew she could not avoid. Hope is simply the soft first touches of disappointment, and she knows this.

Most lately, they awoke to a pleasant sunny morning. He smiled, gently caressed her face and asked "how did you sleep?"

She paused a moment. Then unbidden came an utterance...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Honestly, why doesnt nvidia just keep all their gpus, stop selling, and just mine with them? msrp=lost money. Maybe then their ceo could afford an even cooler leather jacket.
How dare you! They care about gamerz! :ROFLMAO:

I bet somewhere in the deep dark recesses of Nvidia HQ there is a mining farm, where only the best silicon resides. Where the leather jacket's never go out of style & the spatula's never run out of stock.

Last edited:
How dare you! They care about gamerz! :ROFLMAO:

I bet somewhere in the deep dark recesses of Nvidia HQ there is a mining farm, where only the best silicon resides. Where the leather jacket's never go out of style & the spatula's never run out of stock.
Which they would have to report any Crypto earnings on their next financial report to the share holders. With all the GPUs they have for GeForce Now, I am sure it is tempting for unused or low usage periods of time per GPU. The repercussions would probably not be too pleasant for them if they did. If they can contract out that hashrate and report it some other way, hmmm.

You know, the best part of this not-being-able-to-buy-GPUs is that every week there's a night where I get fed up, and I just "rebel" against the world with a couple gin tonics. Today is gin tonic night. No GPU upgrade, no problem! At least I'm buzzed :D

This pandemic is wrecking havoc on my mental stability... but when you can't do anything, go anywhere, buy anything, and all you can do is go to work, come back home and use little to nothing of your salary other than to pay your mortgage for 1 full year (in 9 days, as confinements began March 12th), well, I think we deserve a drink dammit :)

You know, the best part of this not-being-able-to-buy-GPUs is that every week there's a night where I get fed up, and I just "rebel" against the world with a couple gin tonics. Today is gin tonic night. No GPU upgrade, no problem! At least I'm buzzed :D

This pandemic is wrecking havoc on my mental stability... but when you can't do anything, go anywhere, buy anything, and all you can do is go to work, come back home and use little to nothing of your salary other than to pay your mortgage for 1 full year (in 9 days, as confinements began March 12th), well, I think we deserve a drink dammit :)
1561510978_giphy (1).gif

Well I dont drink anymore, but I have an alternative that is legal but over-priced as well.

Well I dont drink anymore, but I have an alternative that is legal but over-priced as well.
Hey as long as we keep it legal, who cares how we get through this, eh? To each their own and have fun! GPUs will have to wait until we're auto-notified (hahaha...) or we get lucky with trackers :D

Hey as long as we keep it legal, who cares how we get through this, eh? To each their own and have fun! GPUs will have to wait until we're auto-notified (hahaha...) or we get lucky with trackers :D
Yeah Im on a wait list at BLT, and I noticed they took all cards off their site now so no-one else can get into the queue.
Just some basic cards on my pre-order though. (3)1660 supers and a 2060 because they had the shortest expected waiting time. So much for tht though. On that list about 2 months now.

So much for tht though. On that list about 2 months now.
I keep playing old games to kill time... finished the CoD series. Just finished RE4 today (after RE7 and 6). Moved to Zero but controls suck too much so I kind of abandoned it. Next is RE5, then RE1 remaster... and I downloaded FEAR 1, 2, and 3 because why not (remember those?). I was a kid when those came out. This pandemic is at least the perfect time to relive all your nostalgia games, especially now that it's too cold to be outside at night... And that's coming from someone living in the south, where it's at least 45-50F at night so we can actually hang out in friends' backyards... can't imagine what it's like for people in the north trying to stay safe. Getting my 2nd COVID shot tomorrow (and I'm ready for the apparently %57 chance I'll feel like utter garbage for 48h) and exercising my arm muscles since I'll probably finally be able to hug some of my friends for the first time in a year...

Crazy times y'all. If anything I feel grateful my 1060 is allowing me to play things at a decent performance. And I have my job. And a safe place to live. Life could be much worse. My standards for, well, everything, are going so low, at this point I'm probably going to feel "lucky" if I even just get a 3060 12gb even though its' double the performance for double the price what I paid in 2017 (= shitty deal, frankly).

I keep playing old games to kill time... finished the CoD series. Just finished RE4 today (after RE7 and 6). Moved to Zero but controls suck too much so I kind of abandoned it. Next is RE5, then RE1 remaster... and I downloaded FEAR 1, 2, and 3 because why not (remember those?). This pandemic is at least the perfect time to relive all your nostalgia games... I was a kid when those came out. And that's coming from someone living in the south, where it's at least 45-50F at night so we can actually hang out in friends' backyards... can't imagine what it's like for people in the north trying to stay safe. Getting my 2nd COVID shot tomorrow (and I'm ready for the apparently %57 chance I'll feel like utter garbage for 48h) and exercising my arm muscles since I'll probably finally be able to hug some of my friends for the first time in a year...

Crazy times y'all. If anything I feel grateful my 1060 is allowing me to play things at a decent performance. And I have my job. And a safe place to live. Life could be much worse. My standards for, well, everything, are going so low, at this point I'm probably going to feel "lucky" if I even just get a 3060 12gb even though its' double the performance for double the price what I paid in 2017 (= shitty deal, frankly).
I just replayed Fear 1 about a month ago. It was fun. You do bring up good points though - I still have my job and home, so it's not all bad. But next up on the game queue? Torchlight II. My R9 390 can't handle Elite Dangerous.

I keep playing old games to kill time... finished the CoD series. Just finished RE4 today (after RE7 and 6). Moved to Zero but controls suck too much so I kind of abandoned it. Next is RE5, then RE1 remaster... and I downloaded FEAR 1, 2, and 3 because why not (remember those?). I was a kid when those came out. This pandemic is at least the perfect time to relive all your nostalgia games, especially now that it's too cold to be outside at night... And that's coming from someone living in the south, where it's at least 45-50F at night so we can actually hang out in friends' backyards... can't imagine what it's like for people in the north trying to stay safe. Getting my 2nd COVID shot tomorrow (and I'm ready for the apparently %57 chance I'll feel like utter garbage for 48h) and exercising my arm muscles since I'll probably finally be able to hug some of my friends for the first time in a year...

Im playing the old GTAs and Street Fighters. Ive never really played FPS games that much. Im trying Overwatch and I suck at it lol. Driving and racing games were always my favorite.
I took long break from gaming and recently back at it. Mostly the hiatus was because my old pc was way out of its league and couldn't play anything remotely new.
Im just worried about my kids and now my granddaughter with regards to Covid and whatever comes next.

Me too. Its kind of nice going back and playing old games. Ive been playing a lot of emulators, all the way back to turbografx 16. Some cool games I never got to play grown up.

I think it's just a general shortage of silicon for semiconductors.
More specifically, there's literally not enough Square meters of fab space needed for all the chips that's in demand right now. Intel has sort of blown it with the 7nm-5nm process for the time being which is putting a huge crunch on available fab space. Add covid which has created an unprecedented need for more gpus then normal and suddenly a massive shortfall. It's just bad timing to need a new gfx card unless your willing to buy a prebuilt system with one in it.

I was hoping for a good time to buy a gfx card, but nope. Miners and scalpers have ruined any chance of that for the time being.

^^ lol

Yeah Im on a wait list at BLT, and I noticed they took all cards off their site now so no-one else can get into the queue.
Just some basic cards on my pre-order though. (3)1660 supers and a 2060 because they had the shortest expected waiting time. So much for tht though. On that list about 2 months now.

Also on wait list at BLT since Feb 20th for 5600xt TUF. They already pushed the date back from 3-4 to 4-7. From what I've been hearing, it's likely not going to be 4-7 either. Will just keep getting pushed out over and over until the situation in general is cleared up. Could be a long time.

Sigh.

Like others here, I am getting started playing all the games in my Steam back catalog, Sunless Skies currently (a game I highly recommend). I have a years worth of games to play, so I am no longer caring about this GPU shortage.

I have a years worth of games to play, so I am no longer caring about this GPU shortage.
One neat "trick" for those who are a bit performance starved with their GPU - if you enjoy playing ultrawide resolutions, setup a custom resolution on your 16/9. If you have to lower the resolution to improve frame rate, the picture barely degrades at all because the vertical dimension is smaller. I just fired up Rage 2 and it was clearly unhappy at 1440p, and I didn't love the look at 1080p - bit muddy. Switch to 2560x1080 or even 1920x810, and it looks great despite the lower resolution, and frame rates are high again :)

1614882033009.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back