What exactly is the deal with GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q has inflitrated [H].
Sad day,

Anyway, I missed so many cart checkouts for an RTX 3080 this week I think I am done trying. Someone mentioned having extra tabs open ruins your chances. Is that true?

Anyway, I missed so many cart checkouts for an RTX 3080 this week I think I am done trying. Someone mentioned having extra tabs open ruins your chances. Is that true?
I don't know but I had 12+ tabs bookmarked to opened all at once. My next refesh got "access denied" so I started to only refresh a single page individually.

I don't know but I had 12+ tabs bookmarked to opened all at once. My next refesh got "access denied" so I started to only refresh a single page individually.
Yea I think the 'access denied' error was from too many requests. Someone in a discord said they only sell to you if you only have one tab open to prevent bots...?
I mean, it's possible, but it just seems stupid.
Either way. Next drop, I am going to try that.
I sat there while a couple dozen cards drifted out of stock while I was trying to add to cart. My method didn't work.

I bought a way overpriced 6800 from RogueCast with the intention of learning to mine to pay it off.
But the crypto expected earnings went less that half what i was when I bought the card, and I havent even gotten other parts to finish the build.
This link shows current profit potential per card series.
It was over $11/day just a week ago

https://whattomine.com/gpus?cost=0.13&button=
Uh, does that mean the more cards mining out there, the less the profit there is to be made? Because if that's the case, Bitcoin has to stay high or even go higher to make a profit. The situation would be comical if prices go back down. I just realized when I looked at the NiceHash calculator, the GTX 1050 Ti was like $0.70 per day a while ago and it just showed $0.40 per day when I looked at it today. (Haven't tried mining but kind of wondered if it was worth it. Although I hesitate to use a rig at 100% 24 hours a day.)

Uh, does that mean the more cards mining out there, the less the profit there is to be made? Because if that's the case, Bitcoin has to stay high or even go higher to make a profit. The situation would be comical if prices go back down. I just realized when I looked at the NiceHash calculator, the GTX 1050 Ti was like $0.70 per day a while ago and it just showed $0.40 per day when I looked at it today. (Haven't tried mining but kind of wondered if it was worth it. Although I hesitate to use a rig at 100% 24 hours a day.)
I dont know ANYTHING about mining or the stock market.
But my guess is its a temporary low, and will rebound in the next days or weeks.
I think you can mine it and sell when the value is up like trading.

So here we are.......6 months in and you can't find a new GPU anywhere for even a modest jack over MSRP (Im talking etail, not eBay)

What the hell happened?

poor production?
poor planning?
sudden demand?
lack of parts?
"the COVID"
greed?

what is the truth Mulder?
Part of the problem is with the shortage, a lot of chips as been deligated to automotive car companies, to help economy get back on its feet

Part of the problem is with the shortage, a lot of chips as been deligated to automotive car companies, to help economy get back on its feet
Are you sure of this? I've read that the auto companies use parts that are not made using 7 mm process.

This right here ^ .. I'm sure there are many that at those GPU price points will get to the point of moving on to other avenues of entertainment. I will never pay $300-500 for low end.. if that is the normal, then PC gaming will be dead to me.
People do for consoles usually ;).

Hasn't this thread kind of wandered around a bit?
Back on topic

(some ebay listing that's prob a scam)
1614551248202.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't remember where but I think I've seen something that said some governments, I don't know which, have outlawed their citizens owning too much compute out of fear that it'd become trivial to brute force encryption. Anyone heard of something like that out am I out to lunch

I can't remember where but I think I've seen something that said some governments, I don't know which, have outlawed their citizens owning too much compute out of fear that it'd become trivial to brute force encryption. Anyone heard of something like that out am I out to lunch
I think you heard that when you stopped out to eat at Subway.

Theres an ebay seller with over 300 (New) 1070s for sale spread over 5 listings $60k for 100pcs in one of them.

It’s an auction and 29K it’s about msrp for each card so yeah the price is pretty bad to me already. Wonder how high it will go? Of course I realize that everything is going for way over list right now. Having bought some GPUs from miners the past I’m not opposed to it but at least they were all priced appropriately. Meaning way less than msrp.

I haven't clicked on everything there but it looks like there were bids, not an asking price. But an average of $382 per card seems a bit steep to me. :woot:

Any reason in particular you think it's a scam?

It's nothing but red flags, and nothing about it makes sense. The most likely scammer-meta happening here is hacked ebay account, and scammer isn't actually looking to make off with a single large transaction that somehow gets through Paypal; he's using the listing as a fishing net to attract direct offers from people via ebay messaging, at which point he suggests a "discounted" price if they pay him in BTC/ETH/crypto. Simple as that.

Further:

> Account's never sold anything before; would be very easy for a dude in Ukraine behind a VPN to hack an ebay account, source a few pics from a mining forum or twitter and create a listing, add touches like "local pickup" option to seem more legit.
> A legit seller with the acumen to source that many cards isn't likely to then be a complete idiot to try to push them all through in a single sale - there are insane headaches and additional risk with a single large transaction, it also triggers ebay auto-account-restriction algorithms. A seller with half a brain would scale out of their GPU investment slowly, sell individually, a few at a time, with a quantity limit, to diffuse/distribute risk.
> A legit seller that bought them for mining and went through all the trouble of doing analysis, building them all out with space/power/ventilation investments, wouldn't be kneejerk-selling just because ETH price has retraced from its all time high - mining is still insanely profitable in terms of ETH accumulation rate, there's no reason to dump.

Last edited:
I've now read a few articles referencing partnerships between a certain card manufacturer and a few of the mining companies.
I think given the nature of business and the greed that comes along with it, it is not unimaginable that some of those mining cards will find their way to e-tailers.
Consumer protections don't seem to be part of business anymore.
Who knows, if that shiny new card has been mined and then re-packaged as new during a down-turn of e-currency.
Maybe folks ought to look at disclosure information to try to ascertain who is partnered with these mining companies.
It might be time to also point out that some companies will not honor warranties on GPUs if that card is not purchased through one of their approved resellers.

Last edited:
Reactions: x509
like this
Someone in a discord said they only sell to you if you only have one tab open to prevent bots...

It’s not true. I was logged in with the same account on two computers, and my phone, and had multiple tabs open on both computer browsers — and didn’t take the time to disable my 30 second interval distill I/O checks on the one PC. I landed a single Asus Strix 3070. Completion was fierce. I must have had a dozen or more in my cart after the please wait screen, on each occasion, but only landed the single card this time. I think there are literally tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people hitting the site at once because of all the various Discord and alerting groups.

One of the lucky ones, I bagged a asrock 6900xt a couple months ago off newegg using snail monitor discord. Paid around 1200+tax. It's a lot, but worth it to me.

Stim check is going right into the savings account this time around. Last time I bought gold with it. lol

One of the lucky ones, I bagged a asrock 6900xt a couple months ago off newegg using snail monitor discord. Paid around 1200+tax. It's a lot, but worth it to me.

Stim check is going right into the savings account this time around. Last time I bought gold with it. lol
where'd you buy your gold?

I bought Bitcoin with my last stimulus check. Gold is the other hedge I'd probably pick up some with the next one. The cash they are giving us will be watered down plenty in 10 years. The BTC and Gold should not be.

where'd you buy your gold?

I bought Bitcoin with my last stimulus check. Gold is the other hedge I'd probably pick up some with the next one. The cash they are giving us will be watered down plenty in 10 years. The BTC and Gold should not be.
I'd say get silver. It has more upside potential, but is still a precious metal with industrial value.
Check your local coin shops and buy silver for as close to spot price as you can. I prefer pre-1965 US coinage because premiums are usually cheap and it is easily identifiable.

I'd say get silver. It has more upside potential, but is still a precious metal with industrial value.
Check your local coin shops and buy silver for as close to spot price as you can. I prefer pre-1965 US coinage because premiums are usually cheap and it is easily identifiable.
I'm reading the Bitcoin Standard book right now, and they noted that Silver can just be mined more if demand significantly increases. So if you were a wealthy buyer and you bought up 10% of the total global supply in hopes to raise the price of Silver, more would just be mined to accommodate your hold and prices would/could drop back down.

Gold however, historically can only increase supply by about 2% per year, and mining output can't historically keep up with increased demand.

The author concludes Gold is the better hedge against inflation of fiat currency than other mineable metals.

Pictures from The Bitcoin Standard by Saifedean Ammous, Copyright 2017.
Pages 19-24 that addresses this very discussion. (worth the read!)

Attachments

• DD654416-8FBB-46D7-9995-8523CCBC3C90.jpeg
    DD654416-8FBB-46D7-9995-8523CCBC3C90.jpeg
    751 KB · Views: 0
  • 30F7A6DB-7EC2-4C46-8721-9DAC8F024309.jpeg
    30F7A6DB-7EC2-4C46-8721-9DAC8F024309.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6B7EFD8E-FE7C-427E-90E9-E9121008C5B8.jpeg
    6B7EFD8E-FE7C-427E-90E9-E9121008C5B8.jpeg
    666 KB · Views: 0
  • 6BF930D6-838C-4852-B1E6-07921DDC1C11.jpeg
    6BF930D6-838C-4852-B1E6-07921DDC1C11.jpeg
    647 KB · Views: 0
  • 9CD48570-52D8-49BC-A0CA-23930DD559EF.jpeg
    9CD48570-52D8-49BC-A0CA-23930DD559EF.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 0
  • 92077B9E-D74F-4841-A350-3EE3D9599A97.jpeg
    92077B9E-D74F-4841-A350-3EE3D9599A97.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It’s not true. I was logged in with the same account on two computers, and my phone, and had multiple tabs open on both computer browsers — and didn’t take the time to disable my 30 second interval distill I/O checks on the one PC. I landed a single Asus Strix 3070. Completion was fierce. I must have had a dozen or more in my cart after the please wait screen, on each occasion, but only landed the single card this time. I think there are literally tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people hitting the site at once because of all the various Discord and alerting groups.
So what chance does an Average Joe like me have to score anything right now? Maybe two months after hell freezes over and then melts again.

I'm reading the Bitcoin Standard book right now, and they noted that Silver can just be mined more if demand significantly increases. So if you were a wealthy buyer and you bought up 10% of the total global supply in hopes to raise the price of Silver, more would just be mined to accommodate your hold and prices would/could drop back down.

Gold however, historically can only increase supply by about 2% per year, and mining output can't historically keep up with increased demand.

The author concludes Gold is the better hedge against inflation of fiat currency than other mineable metals.

Pictures from The Bitcoin Standard by Saifedean Ammous, Copyright 2017.
Pages 19-24 that addresses this very discussion. (worth the read!)
Good to know!
Thanks for the source.
Yea silver is definitely more abundant, but it is also actually used and discarded. Gold is used and salvaged.

Both are great to hold compared to basically any debt-based currency.

At RogueCast I landed a Sapphire 6800 Nitro+ for $929 + tax. I overpaid also, but it was that or nothing.
I wanted a lesser card (3060ti), or even a 2080ti and at retail, but this is what I could get.
If I find what I was originally looking for Ill get it and dump this for what I paid.

I think there are literally tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people hitting the site at once because of all the various Discord and alerting groups.
No way to prove it. I agree that seems likely though. Here we are in March and the situation hasn't gotten better, it's worse. Instead of new GPUs being easier to obtain (they aren't) we are now seeing stocks of older models, even RX 570/580 series for example, coming under heavy pressure which has driven prices up to ridiculous levels. $450 for a used RX 580 8gb card for example, not unusual at all. This is old tech.

The mining demand is just as bad this time as last time, and with the demand we were seeing before that and supply chain problems this is a perfect storm. Extremely difficult to find anything right now without 2-3x the price it should cost in a normal situation.

No way to prove it.
It would be way more than this because I certainly am not a member of all the stock notification discord groups, but these are three I’m in that publish membership.

1614693264118.png

1614693312089.png

1614693363472.png

I’m in a few more stock notification discord groups that don’t publish membership numbers, but they are presumably huge. Like Now In Stock’s discord group has no count — but that site has a huge following! No way to know how many are actively responding to the notifications, but you assume if they are in these notification groups — their target is grabbing GPUs. I certainly wouldn’t stay in these noisy discord groups if not for a purpose.

Last edited:
No way to prove it. I agree that seems likely though. Here we are in March and the situation hasn't gotten better, it's worse. Instead of new GPUs being easier to obtain (they aren't) we are now seeing stocks of older models, even RX 570/580 series for example, coming under heavy pressure which has driven prices up to ridiculous levels. $450 for a used RX 580 8gb card for example, not unusual at all. This is old tech.

The mining demand is just as bad this time as last time, and with the demand we were seeing before that and supply chain problems this is a perfect storm. Extremely difficult to find anything right now without 2-3x the price it should cost in a normal situation.
I have a RX 580 in my closet that I considered selling after checking the prices, and around $400 does seem to be the going price. Then I thought better of selling it, because it is the only decent backup card I have on hand. If my primary card kicked the bucket, I'd be hosed with the way things are now.

I have a RX 580 in my closet that I considered selling after checking the prices, and around $400 does seem to be the going price. Then I thought better of selling it, because it is the only decent backup card I have on hand. If my primary card kicked the bucket, I'd be hosed with the way things are now.
Why would your card die. Take the cash IMO. Best time, probably ever, to sell used hardware with these market conditions. I bought a used 1080ti for $300 last year. I put it on eBay for $725 on Friday as a BIN. It sold in less than an hour to a guy with a 100% feedback score and well over 1000 feedback. He’s going to crypto mine with it.

Why would your card die. Take the cash IMO. Best time, probably ever, to sell used hardware with these market conditions. I bought a used 1080ti for $300 last year. I put it on eBay for $725 on Friday as a BIN. It sold in less than an hour to a guy with a 100% feedback score and well over 1000 feedback. He’s going to crypto mine with it.
No one knows when their card might die. And he's right, if it does, he's really screwed with no decent back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back