What ever happened to unreal 3 engine?

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
What ever happened to unreal engine 3?why the tech demos we saw in 2004 never came to life? all we got was this grayed out,foogy thing we saw in Gears of Wars,UT3 ,alice in wonderland etc.
this is how they demoed it back in 2004,2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkVuc_FxCI
i remember there was also a video with a car runing in some city,i can't seem to find that,that looked amazing.Still can't see many games looking today so good as in those videos....
this is what we actualy got ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v.../AliceMadnessReturns2011-07-0212-23-55-30.jpg
http://insomnia.ac/reviews/pc/unrealtournament3/screenshot2.jpg
everything looks so dirty...in the tech demos they looked 10xbetter.Its been 6,7 years now,i think current hardward can handle everything the engine was suposed to offer...
those tech demos i think were in the time of the 6800Ultras.

Seriously.... those videos are pretty much what we got with UE3 (which really was a much better engine than it gets credit for in PC gaming circles...)

If epic didn't go full retard on the initial release of UT3, UE3 would have been much, much better regarded...

mass-effect-3-from-ashes-dlc-screenshot-5.jpg

Batman_Arkham_City_12978907947691.jpg

I'm not sure what you're getting at. still looks awesome to me.

The majority of UE3 games are developed on consoles and then ported to PC. That's why a majority of the time UE3 games don't live up to the graphic potential they could if they were developed on the PC in the first place.

Right now I would say that Epic is pretty pleased with how many developers are using there in house engine.

I just realized, in the screenshot above, it looks like batman is wearing an XBOX360 hard drive on his forearm

nope. textures and lighting looks way better in the tech demo.

No they don't. The tech demos look just like all the console games using UE3. I see the same muddy look to everything in those old tech demos just like you see with commercial releases with the UT3 engine (which I have always disliked).

Every style of visuals you see in any game currently out is doable in the Unreal Engine 3...Download the UDK, import a HL2 map and it'll look exactly the same if you use the same textures and lighting.

The engine has nothing to do with the art style developers go with, it allows you to do lots of things, but what you choose to do with it is your choice...

Nothing wrong with the engine. It's even used by a few MMOs. It boils down to the game itself and the artists who come up with the textures/models.

All those console ports do not do the engine justice.

You're comparing a PC tech demo to console-developed games. We get low quality textures and poor lighting because games are developed for the lowest common denominator - the Xbox 360.

The tech demos never "came to life" because they were tech demos. Why is this difficult to understand?

It's like, the most licensed engine in gaming history, do you really think Epic is disappointed with it?

their engine can do a lot more however, we are limited by the current hardware that are out and mainly console systems.

Well basically a tech demo is what something can do, not what people will use it for. No engine in history puts this on display more than unreal engine (X)

Well, if rumors can be believed, you might see UE4 by next week.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/10/dice-2012-unreal-engine-4-to-be-revealed-later-this-year-says-epic/

Epic Games to Demo Unreal Engine 4 at GDC 2012

Remember a few weeks ago when Epic Games’ vice president Mark Rein was quoted as saying that we’d see the unveiling of Unreal Engine 4 this year? Well, it turns out that we’re going to get our first taste of the next generation platform next week at GDC 2012.

According to Rein, the new engine won’t even run on current-gen consoles. In fact, he says that it will require hardware “several times more powerful” than the Xbox 360. Considering that CEO Mike Capps made it clear this past summer that he intends to steer the company back toward the PC market, however, that doesn’t really come as a big surprise.

If textures and lighting is all up to the artists and not the engine,how come alice the madness,gears of wars,batman,u3,transformers(and im sure there are more) all look the same? And this "same" is nothing like that tech demo,they all have muddy textures,foliage looks crap and grey, to bad i cant find the other video... with the car driving in the city,going to some open are with lots of great looking foliage and than a big zoom of the city. All this looked way better than what we have in these games. How come so many games with so different ideeas share the same art style?

If textures and lighting is all up to the artists and not the engine,how come alice the madness,gears of wars,batman,u3,transformers(and im sure there are more) all look the same? And this "same" is nothing like that tech demo,they all have muddy textures,foliage looks crap and grey, to bad i cant find the other video... with the car driving in the city,going to some open are with lots of great looking foliage and than a big zoom of the city. All this looked way better than what we have in these games. How come so many games with so different ideeas share the same art style?

Consoles being low power. Bad artists. Bad developers using the same engine calls as everyone else.

Have you looked at the ME3 demo? Because it uses UE3 and doesn't look too much like the other games. Generally, you can take one look at a game as tell that it is UE-based.

ha found it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGt8CqJd91U
look the grass looks green not muddy :))
i am sryy but the videos from few years back dont look like this...
gears-of-war-2-20080625073728939.jpg

Again, what you're referring to is "artistic style". That sort of washed-out grey muddiness is sort of what all of the cool kids are doing right now. CoD does it, Epic's games have it, etc.

For the thousandth time, it's an artistic decision, and not an attribute of the engine itself.

Look, here are links to several Polycount threads (CG artist forum, focused primarily on games) that have environments that are being constructed using UDK (free version of UE3).

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93986
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93856
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94097
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94181

Once again, what you keep referring to as an attribute of the Unreal Engine itself is actually artistic style. I REPEAT, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ENGINE ITSELF.

so how come so many games choose the same artistic look?

Mainly it's to help compensate for the lower specs of consoles. Using effects such as color grading allow them to enhance the mood or feel of a given area while using lower-poly and lower-res assets. And again, because right now, brown/gray seem to be the cool "thing".

Unreal engine is absolute garbage. It is like all icing and no cake or something, know what I mean.

Bingo.

While tech demos are almost always higher quality than what is achievable in a full game it doesn't change the fact that today's games are built to run on the lowest common denominator which is consoles, their hardware hasn't improved for 6 years so the games look 6 years old. That's the unfortunate truth here.

It's actually way worse, because Epic have revealed tech demos for the new generation of rendering which the consoles can't even use, in an attempt to entice them into a new generation of hardware, these effects are do-able on even medium end graphics cards and have been for years but we're still not seeing them in any decent quantity for the same reason...we need a new generation of console hardware before we'll see significant increases in the quality of graphics.

so how come so many games choose the same artistic look?

The muddy look with ridiculous bloom and saran wrap gloss on textures are all ways to hide low quality textures because for instance... the PS3 only has a 256MB of texture memory!

Mirrors Edge is by far the best looking game made in the unreal engine so far then maybe mass effect 2. Gears of war is a joke, i have played them all and i still think the gears of war 1 on the pc looks the best because of the higher resolution and texture filtering... gears 3 has slightly better looking shader effects and the same damn textures and grass.

The muddy look with ridiculous bloom and saran wrap gloss on textures are all ways to hide low quality textures because for instance... the PS3 only has a 256MB of texture memory!
Unreal engine has the ugliest depth of field like fog effect that blurs out everything i don't know why a lot of games use it constantly.

Back