What ever happened to that Sega?

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Leave it to 4CR to echo my thoughts of what was once one of the greatest console gaming companies... And actual competitor to Nintendo, not just for hardware, but great ideas... niche titles, quirky games, everything. And then it dawned on me... once you stop making your own hardware, you lose control of much of what your studios make, due to overwhelming pressure to follow through on profit margins and staying alive! (Think every other studio that's plagued with idea-stealing and sequilitis right now... yech)

Anyway, for those of you who want a short, editorial read... here it is:
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/arch...-buttons-sega-does-what-nintendont/#more-2803

Excerpt:
Sega’s sheer creative force made it so brazen that they packed in a 56k model with each console with the intention of bringing online gaming to the masses… and they did. Chu Chu Rocket while a bit laggy… introduced me to how fun it was to communicate with those who I competed against. Then came Phantasy Star Online, which managed to grip me for at least 300 hours of my life.

Sega, needless to say, was highly regarded on my list of game companies. I loved its games, I loved its franchises, and more than anything I loved it’s commitment to innovation and advancing new gameplay ideas. Unfortunately... not everyone saw it that way.

Sega was very innovative, but way ahead of their time. It's a damn shame though, I enjoyed my Genesis and a lot of the cool ass first party games. I'm glad they're still around making games here and there, but I hope that one day, they make a new system... and this time design a controller that doesn't aid in carpal tunnel.

^^^ I agree, I long for the day when Sega decides to jump into the console wars again. Not sure if that will ever happen but it would be nice to see. ;)

I loved the competition between Sega and Nintendo, it always brought out great games... it was a fantastic rivalry. I wish Sega was still around... let PS3 and Xbox360 duke out the graphics and cpu power wars, bring Sega back to give Nintendo someone to have an innovation war with ;D!

Did much of the development teams at Sega leave after the Dreamcast was deep-sixed? When Sega used to announce a game they were developing, you knew it was going to be something, weird/innovative/or otherwise. Now....meh? (Except of course for the VF series. Had to throw that in. :D )

chojin_1999 said:
Did much of the development teams at Sega leave after the Dreamcast was deep-sixed? When Sega used to announce a game they were developing, you knew it was going to be something, weird/innovative/or otherwise. Now....meh? (Except of course for the VF series. Had to throw that in. :D )
But wasnt' VF1 very innovative?

Sega made some really questionable hardware decisions- 32x, sega cd, monad (what was that, like 2 hours battery life?). Plus, all their good games were designed for their own consoles, they haven't really done anything lately. They're rehased sonic into some really terrible games, and while they've had some good ideas the games are always just kinda lacking.

Nomad^
They had their downs hardware wise but in terms of Software I think Sega made 9 good games to every 2 bad ones.

They are still around, just not really competing anymore, making games for any and every system it seems. Its probably better this way, they seemed to have bad karma when it came to making sucessful consoles (yeah yeah, dreamcast lives ok thx), I owned a Saturn and I LOVED VF2, too bad.

The problem with not having your own hardware, is that you have a LOT less creative control of your software. Why do you think Nintendo is so staunch about remaining its own hardware maker? Aside from the fact that they're the most profitable company :p

I agree... back when Nintendo and Sega were battling it out, they pushed eachother to innovate more and more... now Microsoft and Sony are in an E-Penis match and Nintendo's the only one left with some actual balls. I hope one day Sega surprises us with a new console... but there's already too many players in the field :(

Sega seems like a shell of their former company. I mean who keeps authorizing these sonic games? They need to give that shit a rest. They do still make some pretty sweet games, though. I think most everyone wishes they would make another console.

Back