What ever happened to abit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkle

[H]F Junkie
What ever happened to abit? Their site is still there, but the only mobos they have are old ones.

Wikipedia is your friend

Abit experienced serious financial problems in 2005. The brand name "ABIT" and other intangible properties, including patents and trademarks, were purchased by Universal Scientific Industrial Co., Ltd. (USI) in May 2006.

Universal Abit has announced that it will close on December 31st, 2008, and officially cease to exist on January 1st, 2009.[1] By 2009, Abit will no longer sell motherboards and may focus on CE field. Warranties will still be handled by Abit for another 3 years or so.

It's too bad what happened to them. I actually had a couple of their boards and they were pretty sweet. Guess that's just how business goes sometimes.

I read the wikipedia but I guess I totally missed that since it is 5 in the morning:p

I'm still sad about this. My Abit x48 and AN9 Fatality were rocks and are still running.

Sucks. I just searched google and came across this thread. I'm finally upgrading after 6 years. I had an old Abit IC7-G board, P4 3.2 with LL Corsair ram have been in there since March 2004 running rock solid without ANY problems related to the motherboard. I'm actually giving the PC to my g/f to use now.

Going to try my luck with ASUS and see what happens, hopefully their product will do the same for me.

(Brought this back from the dead :D)

True. Only mainboard manufacturer I would recommend to friends and family back in the day. Sad stuff. I heard about this back when I was shopping to build a AMDx2 system. My first build consisted of a BE6v2

The BP6 with dual 366Mhz celerons @ 550 was the first affordable dual core machine.

Fixt.

I had one with dually 333s, but it wasn't stable overclocked. Plus, Win2000 wasn't out yet so no good USB/sound card support existed in operating systems that allowed you the use of both processors.

I ended up running that bish at 500 single core under win98 and wishing I had just bought a PIII-550 like everyone else.

Another old Abit fan here. This box, which will be retired next month, has an IC7G and it's probably the best motherboard I've ever used.

It might live on as a Windows Home Server machine if I can get the drivers to work with the Abit board.

Another fan here ... I still have one of their boards running for over 6 years with NO issues. Never overclocked as good as I hoped, but that was likely more the processor's fault than the board. As others have said, it is rock-solid stable and trouble free.

Fixt.

I had one with dually 333s, but it wasn't stable overclocked. Plus, Win2000 wasn't out yet so no good USB/sound card support existed in operating systems that allowed you the use of both processors.

I ended up running that bish at 500 single core under win98 and wishing I had just bought a PIII-550 like everyone else.

I had a VP6 with dual coppermine 733s @ 1Ghz...They were sweet considering I'd gotten a free copy of Win2K from MS for something or other:D

I was as disappointed to hear about Abit dying as I was to hear that DFI's LanParty line was no more. From what I've heard, they're going to focus strictly on their professional line of products now.

I still have a NF7-S and two NF8's in the closet. And I kinda wish I hadn't sold my IP35:(

I can't remember which but abit was my first experience in overclocking, with the proven celeron 300a. Had a sandwich cooler and everything. Wonder how many others busted their cherry with abit?

I can't remember which but abit was my first experience in overclocking, with the proven celeron 300a. Had a sandwich cooler and everything. Wonder how many others busted their cherry with abit?
I know I did. Although, this was more recent than many others. It was certainly a breeze with the IP35-E. There was a large gap between having the IP35-E and my Asus A7V266-E which died years before. Ended up just using a laptop for a couple years so I never really had overclocking experience as I never looked into it with the AthlonXP 1700+.

Either way, Abit was awesome and left a good impression with me. It's too bad they will have no new products as they would be high on the consideration list.

Yeah, ABIT was my go-to for years. Out of the 6-7 PC's I've built for myself, 5 of them were ABIT based.

I was always a Abit fan. Most of the boards I have owned were from them. I guess my favourite board is probably the NF7-S 2.0. Great little board. I have always preferred them and went out of my way to get their products via special order and all, because the local mom/pop shops ONLY always carried ASUS (I have this dislike for them...) and this is before e-tailers. My last board from them from a KV8-Pro. I also had a DFI LanParty UT, Soyo, ECS KV7A, and a Epox. Those old days... lol.

My ASUS dislike still carries with me to this day, and now I only exclusively buy Gigabyte.

I was a huge epox fanboy during the celeron 300a days, sad to see them gone as well :mad:

I've had an AN8, NF7, AG8-V, and my current AB9 Pro i currently use now. Out of everything listed, the AB9 is the biggest pile of shit have ever owned. Then there was that whole badcap fiasco from a while ago that not to many people remember. All in all, Abit had a few fantastic boards, but they mostly made shit.

I remember starting out with some major WC and TEC cooling on my Abit BP6. Moved on to the kt7a and then the nf7s which I stayed with for a few years. Wish they were still around too...

... the AB9 is the biggest pile of shit have ever owned. Then there was that whole badcap fiasco from a while ago that not to many people remember. All in all, Abit had a few fantastic boards, but they mostly made shit.

Don't hold back ... tell us how you really feel!

i ran abit almost exclusively until my dfi lanparty in the 939 years...then i went back in the ip35 pro.

bh6 i broke 600mhz with the celly 300a, then to the kt7a-raid, then the kr7a, then the kx333 raid, then the glorious nf7-s (i probably had 5 or so of these boards floating around my house at one point i loved them so much), then followed oscar to dfi, then came back for the sublime ip35 pro, and was doing all my budget builds with the ip35-e

damnit i miss them, i always feel a bit dirty buying asus since they were the "rival" back then..and gigabyte, while excellent boards, they just don't feel the same

i was an abit man for many years and through many upgrades....never had a problem with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back