what else should i do?

wankrtron

Gawd
hey guys. sorry if i put this in the wrong place, but this is the place i thought it would go best. i didnt do this in photoshop, i used pixelmator, which is a simplified, easy to use program for osx similar to photoshop. anyway...

heres the scoop. a friend of mine came to korea to visit me. we went to some places and snapped some pics, yadda yadda. i shot this one with my 400d (rebel xti), which is new to me, and my first dslr. being that i dont yet know how to use it properly, the original pic came out really washed out. she wants to print this pic out as an 8x10 (not this one, the full res file), so i told her i would try to fix it. this is the result.

sorig.jpg

srw.jpg

is there anything else that needs to be done to this picture? i bumped down the exposure, boosted the color, adjusted the hue slightly to green, and bumped up some contrast. i had to do this on my macbook, so i am not sure how accurate the picture will be compared to the print either.

which brings me to another question. i have never printed an image from this camera. the 400d/xti is a crop frame camera. i dont really understand what that means yet, but im wondering if there will be any problems printing it as an 8x10. i know the pixel count doesnt come out to the normal count as with my sd900. for instance, the posted pics are 800x533 instead of 800x600. will there be any problems printing the pic as an 8x10? what would be the best way to go about it? will the pic have to be cropped?

any advice you guy can give me will be much appreciated. thanks for the help. if you need to know anything else, ask, and ill tell you what i know.

anybody got anything for me? at this point i am very interested in the printing question. she is really wanting to get this printed out.

The colors all depend on how you wanna do it. You could make it brighter or darker and it would still look realistic, so it's a matter of what You want it to look like.

As for the printing part, just remember the DPI. You'll need about 300dpi for a good print. On your PC, the image is generally at 72dpi, so if you print it on a large page, it'll look very blurry. As long as your full res. file is big enough, it'll print out fine.

yeah, she will print it with a high dpi. actually she is taking it to be printed, but what about the actual pixel size of the image? since the 400d/xti is a crop frame camera, will this image have to be cropped or adjusted to get a full 8x10 print?

the crop doesnt mean anything once you take the shot (the image sensor only picks up the inner 1.6x of the frame vs a 35mm sized sensor like the 5d. You get the full resolution of the sensor inside that area, so it effectively lengthens the lens, except for so DoF stuff which is irrelevant on this anyway.

yeah, so the picture you take comes out to the dimensions of the sensor. is there a reason they make these sensors "odd shaped" compared to 35mm?

if i print this as an 8x12, i can manually crop the image, and not loose anything right? then matte and frame in a standard size frame (next size up of course)?

I think you need to get the detail back in her hair that you lost lowering the exposure. This can be done by selecting the hair and using the levels tool (Ctrl/Apple - L )

Also about your camera 8 x 12 will not require a crop the image should be in 3:2 format already as with most DSLRs

Back