What does mobile data throttling even mean?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Everyone is so up in arms over it but what exactly does it even mean? If they throttle my LTE, does that mean it goes down from 20Mbps to 10MBps? Does it go from 20Mbps to 1Mbps?

Because geeks are the biggest whiners out there, I wouldn't be surprised if throttling was something completely minor and nothing drastic like cutting you off completely like some loud complainers would have you believe.

You go down to about 20kb/s, sometimes less. If it was in the mb/s range, nobody would be as upset as they are now.

On Virgin Mobile, being throttled caps you at 256 kbps. Of course, since I usually don't even come close to breaking a meg, that's not much of a difference from the status quo :p

If they throttle'd you down to 3g speeds and offer'd higher data caps it wouldn't be so bad. But they come out with LTE which they show and advertise the ability to download, transfer, send, sync, upload HD data and higher speeds. And then they throw a 2GB cap on the plan for $30 starting out. And if you got over you get sent to edge.

Even EDGE speeds would be OK if the latency were low- EDGE speeds and high latency would suck though.

Back