What does it take to drive three 2K or 4K monitors for desktop applications?

djoye

2[H]4U
I'm curious as to what it takes to effectively drive three 2560×1440 or 3840×2160 monitors for basic desktop usage and maintain a smooth experience dragging windows, opening menus, etc.; no 3D applications, just Windows desktop applications. Many years ago, we had Windows XP computers that had Matrox cards in them, they drove 3-4 monitors at 1280×1024 and the Windows UI was not smooth; I can't remember how much VRAM those cards had, but I want to say that it didn't seem like much for the time (2007-2008). Those cards were possibly old even for that time.

Not much these days. $100-$150 card?

1050 or RX470 for instance.

You could get away with even less on 2K as long as the video card has 3+ outputs. I run triple 1600p and I could easily do it for Windows desktop on less than the equivalent of a RX460 or 1050. Windows desktop isn't a huge consumer of VRAM, 1GB would suffice for triple 2K.

For 4K I would get at least 2GB VRAM just to be safe.

Integrated is fine for triple 2k, assuming you have three outputs on your motherboard, and are buying a brand-new processor.

To run triple 4k you'll have to pony up for at least a 1050 or RX 470. This is the cheapest one I can find with three 4k-capable outputs:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125917

Those Matrox cards were outdated the day they were released, based on the Parhelia, and later updated to support Windows Vista DX9 Aero. Today's onboard will run circles around it.

Last edited:
Make sure the card you buy has the connectors you need

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/acce...port-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained

As far as I can tell if you want AMD you need the RX470 over the RX460 if you want three 4k displays. (And prefer not to buy addition hubs or hardware). I can't find anything that clearly states that but it looks like rx460 has one dual dvi link output rather than three display port outputs and dual dvi link is good to 2560x1600 @ 144hz. Not 4k.

MaAs far as I can tell if you want AMD you need the RX470 over the RX460 if you want three 4k displays. (And prefer not to buy addition hubs or hardware). I can't find anything that clearly states that but it looks like rx460 has one dual dvi link output rather than three display port outputs and dual dvi link is good to 2560x1600 @ 144hz. Not 4k.

Yes, RX 460 is DVI-only on that third display. I can't find an RX 460 with more than 2 4k-capable outputs, whereas that $135 GTX 1050 I linked above has FOUR 4k-capable outputs. See the outputs here:

14-125-917-04.jpg

This is the REASON I recommended the 1050 above, because the 460 lacks these ports, and the RX 470 is way too expensive.

Dual-Link DVI is limited to 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, or 1920x1080 @ 144hz. It's not capable of driving a 4k display.

You said 1050 or RX460
If you knew Dual link DVI doesn't support 4k 60hz then I think you meant RX470?

Yes, read my post above.

I made the recommendation before I did the research, figuring somebody would break the RX 460 port reference design, like that 1050 I linked. I was wrong.

I'd go with a RX 470 or the 1050 linked above. As long as there are not demanding applications, most modern cards can drive desktop apps easily. Hell, i think my 5770 can drive 2 4K panels with ease.

You know, considering the ASS-WRINGING you just gave me for NOT checking to see if it has triple-4k outputs, you deserve the same :D

Most of those single-fan models trade cooler size for better efficiency. And that means moving more air out of the card, with a perforated panel. There's a lot less room for that airflow if you have the quadruple outputs like the card I linked above.

14-487-290-02.jpg

They could ditch the DVI, but that's not the target market of this card. So next time CHECK.

You know, considering the ASS-WRINGING you just gave me for NOT checking to see if it has triple-4k outputs, you deserve the same :D

Most of those single-fan models trade cooler size for better efficiency. And that means moving more air out of the card, with a perforated panel. There's a lot less room for that airflow if you have the quadruple outputs like the card I linked above.

14-487-290-02.jpg

They could ditch the DVI, but that's not the target market of this card. So next time CHECK.

lol rekt

Back