What does it mean when the screen gone off for 2 seconds and come back on?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just got this brand Viewsonic 43" VX-4380 last Fri., it's been 4 days, and the screen got black for about 2 sec., then come back on. Has anyone seen this before? I was simply using Firefox and Wordperfect, 2 screen open. Firefox has 4 windows, none of the windows has any video on it.

I have 4 display port cables:

1) this one that could be a cheap cable, it has the label "DAEC" on the cable

2) A cable that has the label DAEC at the top, but a logo that looks like a bold letter D at the bottom

3) A cable that c/w another Viewsonic monitor, label "COXOC" at the top, and yet strangely, the very same bold letter D at the bottom

4) The display port cable that c/w this new monitor, but the other side is micro display port, and my video card doesn't have micro display port

So the prefer choice would be to switch over the one that label COXOC, what do you think?

I have 4 display port cables:

1) this one that could be a cheap cable, it has the label "DAEC" on the cable

2) A cable that has the label DAEC at the top, but a logo that looks like a bold letter D at the bottom

3) A cable that c/w another Viewsonic monitor, label "COXOC" at the top, and yet strangely, the very same bold letter D at the bottom

4) The display port cable that c/w this new monitor, but the other side is micro display port, and my video card doesn't have micro display port

DAEC and COXOC are electronics manufacturers, so no suprise they'd label their products with their names. And there's nothing strange about the bold letter D. It's just the DisplayPort logo embossed on the connector.

So the prefer choice would be to switch over the one that label COXOC, what do you think?

Switch them out and see if the the blanking goes away. If not, order a new quality cable.

BTW, it seems to be pretty common for manufacturers to include junk cables with their TVs and monitors. I had to replace the supplied cables for all three of my Dell monitors as well as the the LG my oldest son has. And the HDMI cable that came with our UHDTV couldn't do 4K.

that doesn't make any sense. It can't be. If they ship junk cable, clients are going to do RMA because they think it's the monitor. So it's to their best interest to ship high quality cable. Anyhoo, I'll swap cable tomorrow morning. Thank you

that doesn't make any sense. It can't be. If they ship junk cable, clients are going to do RMA because they think it's the monitor. So it's to their best interest to ship high quality cable. Anyhoo, I'll swap cable tomorrow morning. Thank you

Welcome to the land of corporations run by accountants. Marketing says an included cable would boost sales; engineering says it needs to be a decent quality cable; accounting says it can't increase the cost. So they find bulk cables for $0.50 and up the price of the monitor by $10.

Displayport is a wonky connection, if I accidently move mine my screen goes black and comes back up in a few sec. Poor connector design, should have screwdown mechanism like old VGA cables had.

Only my 3014 does this. The Samsung and ancient Dell 2405 have never done this. I was under the impression that it's typical of the newer Dells lmao.
*But now seeing this happen on a non-Dell, maybe I should look at the cable hmm.

That issue can be a combination of bad cable or to many displays connected at too high a resolution or refresh rate.

to be fair, I use that very same cable on my 40" UHD Philips, and never have this problem. But I have seen after switching monitor to newer one, that the old video card no longer valid, as to cable, first time

This can also be a duff monitor (likely the port it's connected to). Happened on an LG I had... every cable I tried did it.

That issue can be a combination of bad cable or to many displays connected at too high a resolution or refresh rate.

my old setup for 4.8 yr. is a 40" 3840x2160 UHD monitor w/ a 60" Sharp 1920x1080. Both are connected to a asus 650 GTX Ti Boost. The old UHD is connected via DIsplay port, and the Sharp is connected via HDMI.

My current new setup is the same as the above, except the 40" becomes defective, so I switch to this new 43" VX-4380 UHD monitor. The resolution is exactly the same.

So I wonder, could this be a EDID problem? I am inferring what you are saying. I have came across an old case that also happened to me, that 2 x 30" 2560x1600 monitor was working to an old video card, but once those 2 monitor becomes defective (both dead Samsung 30"), I switch over to HP 30", the screeen is dead. Turns out the video card EDID is too old

the Asus 650 GTX Ti Boost was purchased either 4 or 5 yr. ago.

update: I remove the HDMI port to my 2nd monitor. The screen still blacks out 2 times in a row. So it's not the HDMI port on my 2nd monitor causing this. At this point, I can try yet another cable, a faster video card.

this is my card's spec., it doesn't say what is the max. resolution of the HDMI.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX650TIBDC2OC2GD5/overview/

I can actually try to use the HDMI port on my video card, but I don't know if that support 4K. The cable does c/w the box, but don't you have to have a HDMI 2.0 cable to support 4K?

P.S. would a new nvidia driver makes any difference?

Last edited:
update: I remove the HDMI port to my 2nd monitor. The screen still blacks out 2 times in a row. So it's not the HDMI port on my 2nd monitor causing this. At this point, I can try yet another cable, a faster video card.

this is my card's spec., it doesn't say what is the max. resolution of the HDMI.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX650TIBDC2OC2GD5/overview/

I can actually try to use the HDMI port on my video card, but I don't know if that support 4K. The cable does c/w the box, but don't you have to have a HDMI 2.0 cable to support 4K?

P.S. would a new nvidia driver makes any difference?

the HDMI port will do 4k@30hz(HDMI 1.4a), the display port is version 1.2 so should theoretically support 4k@60hz. it could be something as simple as static electricity which i currently have an issue with on 1 of my 3 asus monitors.. just touching the cable with my foot after walking across my house will restart the monitor and doesn't matter what cable i use(tried 6 of them) it'll always restart. if i use HDMI it seems to be better but i need the HDMI port for my VR headset so i just deal with it.

the other possibility is that due to the limitations of that card the monitor could be dropping below the minimum refresh rate and is causing it to restart. just a guess on that one though.

I feel like I'm in an episode of Star trek the next generation, when ?? said "we have more questions than answers". Which is exactly what I have created just yesterday:

-) switch over to the HDMI cable that c/w the box. The following is a list of things that I can't explain and what happens afterwards:

1) the monitor specification said it's a 3840x2160 4K monitor

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/catalog/product_datasheet/view/key/vx4380-4k.html
strangely, the LIST ALL MODES now allows me to do 4096 x 2160 at 60 Hz, 32 bit true color

2) mysteriously, my moue pointer changes and go to the mouse pointer icon, it is not even listing those icons. And I sure didn't change them. It happens immediately after I switch the cable to HDMI. For e.g., the arrow icons when we reduce / enlarge a windows is now a very tiny arrow. The finger pointing mouse pointer is now a very thin, narrow human hand

3) There is shades of red on ASCII Text. For e.g., say the text is "first name, last name". I can easily see the first few character is red or the edge of each character has a trace of red, whereas the rest of the character is black, w/ black being the normal color of text. So far, it seems the smaller font size text has the shade of red, whereas Font size 12 text is normal.

4) now comes the good news, in the past 2 days after I switch over, I no longer see any black out.

===================================================

I really need an expert who have seen the above 1 to 3 scenario, and tell me what is going on. On a brighter note, I am watching "Ghost in the machine" right now in blu-ray:D

1. This is very normal, every 4K TV I have had has also offered this mode. Just set it to 3840x2160 which it should suggest as native resolution.
2. DPI scaling level probably just got reset. Try a reboot or messing with the Display settings options.
3. Sounds like it is running at YUV 4:2:0 or something. Check Nvidia control panel and set it to 8-bit RGB instead.

at no. 3) the digital format is already set at RGB

for no. 2) The only way to change your mouse pointer is at the mouse icon. I am at the Display setting, there is no setting that can change those mouse pointer.

Having said the above, what is causing all these problems between display port vs. HDMI? I mean, it's like Display port has that problem, and switch to HDMI has a whole new set of problems. What is the root cause of all these? Is it EDID on my video card? 650GTX Ti boost is not that old, but I am setting up s/w on my new PC w/ a 950 GTX

at no. 3) the digital format is already set at RGB

for no. 2) The only way to change your mouse pointer is at the mouse icon. I am at the Display setting, there is no setting that can change those mouse pointer.

Having said the above, what is causing all these problems between display port vs. HDMI? I mean, it's like Display port has that problem, and switch to HDMI has a whole new set of problems. What is the root cause of all these? Is it EDID on my video card? 650GTX Ti boost is not that old, but I am setting up s/w on my new PC w/ a 950 GTX

3. So "output color format" in NVCP is set to RGB? Then there should not be fringing unless the display uses BGR subpixels in which case running Better Cleartype tuner could help.
2. I expected that different DPI scaling level changed the size of stuff. If it doesn't go away messing with that setting then I would try using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling the latest GPU drivers.

The issue could be static electricity, cable quality or a fault in the monitor or GPU. Try different DP ports if your GPU has them.

Update:

you're right. The new driver does fix the funny mouse pointer problem. thank you very much

It does NOT fix the red shade on the small text.

could there be some setting a monitor that can fix fringing? as it the button at the back side of any monitor? Or is it always software control

I'll download that software and try out in the morning

update: it's been a no. of days using the HDMI cable. There is no more 2 sec. black out. I don't think the original problem is the display port cable, as I have tried 2 separate cables.

Text display on Website and on word processor, excel etc. are perfect.

The only thing that I haven't fix is the "shade of red" on smaller text. These are NOT smaller DISPLAYED text on website or on wordprocessor, it's the smaller text when I type in on for eg.. search enquiry. And only on those smaller text appears to have shades of red.

I'm switching over to a new PC w/ a 950GTX (also 2GB of DDR5 RAM) so there is no sense to fix this as the new PC will be up in a week or 2. I just have to install the software.

I'm glad it's not a monitor problem

Probably won't happen on the new computer.

But this blanking out for a couple seconds is a very, very, very widespread problem.

Things that can cause it:
motherboard Firmware / BIOS
Bad cable (not very often)
Drivers
Docking station needs to be power cycled (if you have a laptop with a docking station)
Power saving settings (BIOS or OS)
Bad or poorly implemented port on video card (can happen with HDMI or DP).
Poor quality cable or cable that is not the correct spec for the connection throughput being used.
Video card flakey.
Video card BIOS has bugs.

This problem is almost never solved by swapping out the monitor.

You know card to monitor protocols are negotiated. It's possible the monitor is lying or not quite meeting its specs?

Probably won't happen on the new computer.

But this blanking out for a couple seconds is a very, very, very widespread problem.

Things that can cause it:
motherboard Firmware / BIOS
Bad cable (not very often)
Drivers
Docking station needs to be power cycled (if you have a laptop with a docking station)
Power saving settings (BIOS or OS)
Bad or poorly implemented port on video card (can happen with HDMI or DP).
Poor quality cable or cable that is not the correct spec for the connection throughput being used.
Video card flakey.
Video card BIOS has bugs.

This problem is almost never solved by swapping out the monitor.

I have seen something similar as I said earlier. I had 2 x Samsung 30", they are running 2560x1600, they both die after 1.2 yr., so I manage to refund it under warranty. Swap it 2 x HP 30", also at 2560x1600, and you guess it, totally doesn't work. The video card was a XFX ?? GTX, I really like it because it's heat sink (no fan). In the end, the video card is too old, the EDID can't talk to the new monitor.

My video card is the 650GTX, it talks to the old Phlips 40" that is 4.8 yr. old, but the Viewsonic is brand new, I don't know the exact yr. it comes out, but Viewsonci could also upgrade its firmware, so that would explain why the video card not talking to the new monitor. The Video card is also about 4 to 5 yr. old.

The old XFX that has outdate EDID is much older than 5 yr. But it's possible 5 yr. is still too old to talk to the new Viewsonic. I would know in a week or 2, w/ the new PC, on a 950GTX, then go back to the old Display port cable.

That makes absolutely no sense. EDID is not part of the video card. It’s a data structure in the monitor that tells the OS and driver about the monitor (physical size, manufacturer, resolution, timings, color range, etc). EDID 1.4 came out in 2006 and hasn’t changed since. Display ID has replaced it as a standard, but it’s still just a data structure to tell the OS about the monitor. Both can be overridden.

If you want to use DisplayPort, then buy some good quality cables from the list that VESA has certified. Then If you’re still having trouble, you’ll know it’s not the cable.

https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/(Notice that COXOC and DAEC are not in this list)

So I thought that is the end of all these problems until this just happend a few minutes ago. When the entire screen is filled w/ green square, is this cause by the monitor?

now I did do 1 changes:

1) I only have 1 HDMI port, so I use a DVI to HDMI adapter and connect 1 end to my DVI port, the other end to my SHarp 60" HDMI TV. I have this the whole thing w/ my current video card for years, except I was using the HDMI port at the time. THis changes were made just the other day

has anyone seen green square on your screen before?

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    955.4 KB · Views: 0
Yeah that sounds like your GPU might be on the way out. Check temps, remove overclocks if you have any, reinstall latest drivers.

that would be strange. It's 5 yr. old, I don't have any games, and it shouldn't be set to overclock all these years

as to driver, its' the one in Jan 2020

that would be strange. It's 5 yr. old, I don't have any games, and it shouldn't be set to overclock all these years

as to driver, its' the one in Jan 2020
run ddu and then reinstall the newest drivers. if it continues it could be the gpu dying. after 5 years its isnt strange. download unigine heaven or valley and run that for a while, see if you get glitching there.
google ddu and heaven to find them

that's great. Just got my insurance cheque on the dead Philips 40" and now this fails. Good thing I'm switch over to the new PC

Back