What do you want to see in games?

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Aye, well obviously great graphic.😍💚❤ And sound.

What taco really would like to see is some fascinating AI brains.🤖🤖Seems like many games, npc's are too bloody stupid. Why!? 🤔

If anyone played alien isolation, that creature was giving taco collywobbles😬☠very scary. We need more smart AI me thinks. Last of us2 seems decent too.

I really like path of exile and the developers approach of trying to make a game that you can play forever, with multiple layers of complexity and lots to explore. I wish there were more games like it to play. I need to give path of diablo a go at some point. Atmosphere is really important to me in a game.

@ UltraTaco Smarter AI in modern games would be pretty nice to see. I feel like the bar hasn't been raised much since FEAR and STALKER's haydays.

Agreed with better AI.
You'll like this channel, UltraTaco https://www.youtube.com/c/AIGamesSeries/videos

Quite a few games have decent AI and this guy points out what works and what doesn't.

I want to see better animations.
Nothing like knowing a game costs millions to make, looks fantastic and ultra realistic, but a character moves their arm through their other arm, or their elbow vanishes into their abdomen.

What taco really would like to see is some fascinating AI brains.🤖🤖Seems like many games, npc's are too bloody stupid. Why!? 🤔
Of all the trailers and previews for half life 2 I watched (back in the early 2000s), this was the only issue I remember them really harping on. I would imagine as soon as they develop better AI, we get better at beating it.

I want better campaigns. They can make all games BF2 short if they price them accordingly. Like $10 for a handful of good gameplay hours. Be upfront with consumers about what you’re delivering and people will be more receptive.

With kids and limited play time, hot saves (or frequent at least) are a must. I don’t have the time to invest in any game to actually enjoy multiplayer.

Go back to trying unique things and a more authentic feel. People need to think of how they can progress a game genre forward (not in terms of profits/sales) and center a game around those few things. More destructive environments? Okay, build gameplay around this. Want to make a shooter? Okay, but don't cheap out and make it 3rd person/over the shoulder. How can you make an FPS more realistic and dynamic than anything in the past? Figure something out, impress us. End of the day, unless you're going for something intentionally silly and over the top like Unreal/Quake games are supposed to be immersive. Give me as much control over my character and weapon as possible.

Cut back on useless generic "gamey" things. Unlocks, upgrades, progression and filler content to facilitate this process. Put effort and detail where it counts. Pretty much every game these days feels the same. A bunch of generic upgrades/unlocks throughout the course of the game, regardless of what it is. It can be a shooter or a sci fi or a fantasy game. They all blur together. If you're going to force us into weird inventory management, make it sensible for the specific game. EX) Weapon size/weight, magazine amounts, magazine type and their pouch sizes, and how long it takes to swap between them will matter depending on where they are mounted. Don't make me collect energy drinks, eat bugs for stamina or take poops to make my character temporarily run faster.

And not every game needs a cartoon look and feel, with female Navy SEALs with pink Mohawks and neon sun glasses. I'm fine with it if it fits the theme. Are you doing Saint's Row or Far Cry Blood Dragon? Fine, be as silly as possible. A serious game? Make it look real.

Go back to trying unique things and a more authentic feel. People need to think of how they can progress a game genre forward (not in terms of profits/sales) and center a game around those few things. More destructive environments?

Yeah, definitely more realism in environments. Don't just slap a bullet hole decal on something when I shoot it. Make it react realistically. When something explodes, there should be a hole in the ground. When I blast a wall with a shotgun, there should be a hole I can see through. When I hack at brush with a machete, some of that brush should get cut away.

Oh, and realistic boob physics, of course. ;)

Aye, well obviously great graphic.😍💚❤ And sound.

If anyone played alien isolation, that creature was giving taco collywobbles😬☠very scary. We need more smart AI me thinks. Last of us2 seems decent too.
I total agree with this. Games just keep pumping up better graphics while all else goes to crap...we have much better pcs now but games have not changed. Ai in 99% games is still garbage and the same as it's always been...the only game that tried to create better ai was alien isolation and even that was a pretty weak attempt at what should be possible in this day and age! Also how is it that hardly any games have destructive environments, insane...

Much, much better AI, and I don't mean just difficult, I want more reactive and realistic and less of the AI rushes to its death for the millionth time.

Less emphasis on graphics and more on quality of design and gameply.

Less emphasis on balancing everything like its a competitive twitch game, and more on sheer wow and fun factor. Make it crazy, go wild, abandon reality for insane fun.

I'm pretty sure we are limited by hardware but I would like to see objects and materials in games react like you would expect. IE mainly destruction expanded so much more than it currently is. I feel like we are decade away at least before games really start getting destruction accurate.

I'm pretty sure we are limited by hardware but I would like to see objects and materials in games react like you would expect. IE mainly destruction expanded so much more than it currently is. I feel like we are decade away at least before games really start getting destruction accurate.

I'd like to see a lot more micro destruction. Realistic micro destruction. Not a frag grenade blowing a 6 foot hole in a wall. Things like realistic fire and water would be nice too. Far Cry 2 brought an interesting fire mechanic, but it kind of stayed that way since. No other game really made fire behave much more realistically after that. I understand why, a wildfire out of control can break gameplay. But if there was a game that made fire or water a central theme or gameplay mechanic and they both acted realistic it would be interesting.

Someone make a shooter without blatantly shoehorning skills or characters into it. You're easily especially guilty if one of those skills or characters lets you see though walls in some capacity.

Somehow we've come to think that's what adds depth to a game when you can spend 400 hours at CS or Quake and still be getting better because the underlying mechanics themselves are just rock fuckin solid and deep as the ocean.

For me, I would like to see the environment/landscape/city etc. change as your actions evolve. This is done already to a modest degree in some games, where you can build up towns a little, NPC's are walking around, but it would be nice if it were a bit more robust. Some realism would be nice too, for example playing Fallout 4 and no one picked up any damn trash at all despite living in a settlement.

My list of wants is simple.
I want to be able to save the game at any time.
I want another FPS game similar to Dark Messiah. I loved the rope bow and arrow for climbing, I loved the way magic could be used (freeze enemies or freeze the floor and see them slip), and I loved the way you could end up in a cross swords situation with an enemy, and I love that you could kick an orc down a flight of stairs.

I'd like to see more first-person RPG's. Games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout that aren't just sequels in those franchises. Either that or games like Rage and Borderlands that have a little bit of twitch to them, but are full-on RPG's rather than just shooters with skill trees.

On the other side of the coin, I'm totally over every game being open-world/sandbox. We've been pointlessly exploring empty open worlds for 20 years now. I want to see more games that tell a story and put you on a defined path to do so. Games like Naughty Dog's Uncharted and The Last of Us.

I'd like to see more first-person RPG's. Games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout that aren't just sequels in those franchises. Either that or games like Rage and Borderlands that have a little bit of twitch to them, but are full-on RPG's rather than just shooters with skill trees.

On the other side of the coin, I'm totally over every game being open-world/sandbox. We've been pointlessly exploring empty open worlds for 20 years now. I want to see more games that tell a story and put you on a defined path to do so. Games like Naughty Dog's Uncharted and The Last of Us.

I agree with the part about open worlds. It gives an illusion of freedom, but most games landscapes are too boring and dull to make use of them. They distract you from the narrative simply to pad the game's time to completion. It's not generally meaningful in any way.

I'd like to see better character animations. Clunky character animations take you of the game real quick.

I'd also like to see a real focus on responsiveness. id does this the best, I think, but it needs to be a focus for all genres.

I want to see more bullet sponges and impossible beings. I want the enemy to force me to come back when I am better prepared. I want an enemy so impossible that it will make me sweat while fighting it. I want an enemy so impossible that it will make me question my life choices. I want an enemy so difficult that I won’t even have time to look at it. I want the the monster that forces all other players to go whining at the developers at how impossible the fight is.

No damm DLCs for sure. Can't stand that marketing strategy.

I have a very different opinion on this. I actually like it when I buy a game and a company continues to put out content for it. I don't want content that was clearly supposed to be part of the game from the beginning. I want something that expands the gameplay experience and gives me something that keeps my interest and even improves the gaming experience retroactively. This can come in the form of added features, story content or repeatable experiences within the game. We can look at the Mass Effect series for examples of how to do this right and how not to do it.

Take for instance, From Ashes. This was day one DLC for Mass Effect 3 that was clearly content that was cut from the original game and repackaged as DLC. The bonus character Javik wasn't a bonus character like Zyeed or Kasumi from Mass Effect 2. He was clearly an integral part of the story and separating him from the base game worsened the experience. The only goal here was to fleece customers for an extra $10 over the $60 they already spent on the full version of the game. However, there were several DLC's for the multiplayer mode of ME3 which were all free. These were provided for free as a means to make sure the multiplayer community didn't end up fractured by a pay wall as is often the case. It kept the game alive and kept it fresh by adding new enemy types and additional maps. Gameplay was rebalanced, updated and improved over time.

Now, that was an example of a free DLC that was designed to increase longevity of the game. An example of story based DLC would be the Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC. We got quite a bit of new story content with it and there were things like the arena challenge modes that added to the game. There was an entirely new area to explore on the Citadel and of course, there were new weapons, etc. The DLC takes quite a few hours to get through if you do everything. All for $20 if I recall correctly. It's the single greatest DLC I've ever purchased for any game. It adds to the experience. It makes the game much better and not just longer for the sake of being longer. It's design was also a direct result of fan feedback and the developers allowed you to do things in the DLC you couldn't do in the base game.

DLC can be a good thing when free or even when it's a paid DLC. It's possible to create an add on for a game that's worth money, without having to buy an entirely new game by adding onto an existing one. The problem I usually have is that such paid DLC's are rarely worth the cost and the season pass model often sucks as we get drip fed an hour or two of content every other month or something. It's both quality and quantity that are often lacking in such arrangements. But, when executed correctly, they can be a good value add for the game and I see nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, many of not most DLC content is rarely worth the price of admission.

Oh man...

• Games have always shipped with bugs. Not all are show-stoppers, just degrees of them. I think companies should work to up the standard for levels of bugs, as most go by frequency. But if the game is freakin' huge, good luck finding and fixing all the bugs.
  • I would like to see games just go on for development in private and not have to announce a game like 10 minutes after it's been greenlit for production. The interaction with fans, the need to pre-order I understand and see why companies do it. But I really like developing a game and it gets announced like 5 months from release.
  • Sh*tty DLC needs to stop. Stop. Just stop it. Putting out color swaps and hats. Dead or Alive I am looking at you. Cut content that is served as DLC is fine for me, just make it worth my time. Stop milking players money.
  • Modding games is nice, I like seeing what people can do. But it takes time to add these features where the user doesn't get some in-house bug filled engine that has no usability in UI or workflow. Like Valves Hammer Editor.
  • I don't need a physically large game so someone can show off their engineering/game design d*ck size. It better be fun. I can deal with condensed game size.
  • Stupid dated game mechanics. Resident Evil with cutting the tape on the boxes to access them? The more realistic things look the more design has to evolve. Big strong guy can't kick down a door? Can't smash a lock with that stone? Annoying.

The thing I'd like to see is a game with a huge number of NPCs in battles. Maybe something fantasy RPG, medieval, Roman empire v. barbarians, or perhaps modern. Just thousands on each side and not like say a Total War game where they all move as a unit. They should work together, but thousands of independent NPCs all on screen at the same time if you're in the right spot (up on a hill getting the fireball spell or artillery ready). Could be a single player RPG where you have near godlike powers like you get near the end of the Baulder's Gate series, an online multiplayer game where you're just a hero who can kill 4 NPC grunts with one swing, an online FPS with modern weapons and you're an officer leading a bunch of bots against other human players leading squads of bots, or maybe a stealth game where you sneak around and try to influence the outcome of the ongoing battle, but I'd like to see a battle involving army scale massed troops in a first person game.

This... mostly.
When DLC is an Expansion Pack, like The Last of Us: Left Behind, that's fine.
But when it's a pack full of extra skins and other crap, then that is what needs to stop.
DLC of craps seem fine, it is easy to just not buy it, is it not an issue when it is actual content ?

If it was just extra skins would it not be perfect without anyone caring ? huber fan giving money to the studio to enjoy some extra skins.....

Has for the question, game to go either more I am a game with points a la Nintendo/Unreal tournament or if they go for immersion that they go a bit more for it: "plague tale: innocence" being talked above, the game go to immersive but you have a sack of rock in the middle of the wood just before you happen to want to shoot rock at something (and it is like that for all the rest of the game, perfectly spaced source of fire to keep rats away) everything feel like a made up, impossible game mechanics and not a story at all, may as well make it an arcade game.

Here's what I want from games:

1. Player choice
    The designer should not choose how to solve each problem, they should just give the player tools that can solve the problem. And everything that makes sense in the game's world should be allowed to work.
  2. Reputation system
    The player character should have individual reputation with each NPC in the game world. Depending on their actions. And this should affect which NPC can be called on for help later. Or which one will attack you on sight.
  3. Extensive character customization
    Not just choose from face 1,2,3,4. But full on character creator that allows you to customize every aspect of the character's outside appearance. Even if the game is not an RPG.
  4. Reward exploration
    Hidden and hard to find locations should have unique plunders or secrets, not just a version of the same shit that can be found littered everywhere else in the game world.
  5. Obey the laws of physics
    A car should drive like a car, even if the game is not a racing sim. And a high caliber handgun should stop a humanoid enemy dead in its tracks with one center mass hit. And incapacitate it when hitting limbs.
  6. Better AI
    AI that doesn't go back to normal patrol after 10 seconds of hearing something, but changes behavior and becomes more twitchy for the duration of the encounter at least.
  7. Better Stealth
    Stealth should not be a requirement but an option that is viable at any point in the game see #1. Stealth oriented missions should be made with less enemies but better AI that does not have a 30° field of vision. And knee height grass should not make you invisible. Silencers shouldn't be completely silent, they reduce noise but in a calm night it should still be heard far and wide when someone is shot.
  8. Weather and day and night cycle should play a bigger part
    For now its mostly just decoration in games. But combined with #7 and #6 thunderstorms could be used to mask your sounds. Also currently the dark of the night offers no real advantage in stealth in most games. As the AI is almost blind in the day as well.
  9. Story
    Of course it should go without saying that story must come first. The gameplay is only a means to an end, not the end itself.
  10. Pay attention to side missions
    They are not things to be relegated to the interns to deal with, while the core team works on the main storyline. They should be an integral part of the story, sometimes even crossing paths with the main story. Side mission /= collecting garbage
  11. Better level design
    Levels should be designed like you are designing an actual street or office building / etc. Not something specifically tailored to be a game. If anything feels like its just there for the players convenience you are doing it wrong. Like crawlable vents leading from one side of a closed gate to the other but nowhere else.

Abandoning of open world. Please and thank you.

Yeah, I'm with you. While it still belongs in certain titles (Bethesda RPG's, GTA, Witcher, etc.), literally every game has it now. It doesn't add anything in most instances. Well, I guess it adds playtime while you have to trek all over the place to get anything done. I want more titles to follow what Naughty Dog has done. You can still make epic, massive games and tell a focused story without forcing players to trek all over kingdom come fetching bullshit.

Yeah, I'm with you. While it still belongs in certain titles (Bethesda RPG's, GTA, Witcher, etc.), literally every game has it now. It doesn't add anything in most instances. Well, I guess it adds playtime while you have to trek all over the place to get anything done. I want more titles to follow what Naughty Dog has done. You can still make epic, massive games and tell a focused story without forcing players to trek all over kingdom come fetching bullshit.
RPGs are one thing. When it extends to racing titles...you lost your way. It just makes navigation more complicated. Just stick with menus. I remember when SSX3 introduced that "mountain." It just made navigating the different events/maps more painful. I really was excited for the game because I loved Tricky. But, that killed the franchise for me.

Abandoning of open world. Please and thank you.

One-hundred-fucking-percent.

Most people want their games to be longer, or value their games based upon dollars per hour of gameplay. Not me. I want games to be shorter and smarter. I'd rather play 10-20 hours of a really good game than 50-100 hours of basically anything Ubisoft is making these days. I don't inherently object to open world games, but I'm fine with getting like, one a year, and having that one game be exceptionally well done. I'm good with Skyrim, Witcher, GTA V. I expect CP2077 to be fantastic. Those are games with years and years of development, huge budgets, and very clearly projects of passion. So many other games have looked to those and said "We should make Skyrim, with guns" or "We should make GTA, but in the future" -- but then they try to do it in half the time with half the budget and we're left with yet another boring, lifeless, time waster of a game. Ubisoft is the worst offender right now, but there are certainly other companies doing it also. Back when Skyrim came out, an "open world" was a badge of honor. It was a reason to be interested in a game. Today, it's the exact opposite for me. Any time I see an open world game, it almost always is immediately filed into the "not worth my time" category.

Back