What do you want to see in games?

UltraTaco

Gawd
Aye, well obviously great graphic.😍💚❤ And sound.

What taco really would like to see is some fascinating AI brains.🤖🤖Seems like many games, npc's are too bloody stupid. Why!? 🤔

If anyone played alien isolation, that creature was giving taco collywobbles😬☠very scary. We need more smart AI me thinks. Last of us2 seems decent too.

t1k

n00b
I really like path of exile and the developers approach of trying to make a game that you can play forever, with multiple layers of complexity and lots to explore. I wish there were more games like it to play. I need to give path of diablo a go at some point. Atmosphere is really important to me in a game.

@ UltraTaco Smarter AI in modern games would be pretty nice to see. I feel like the bar hasn't been raised much since FEAR and STALKER's haydays.

scojer

Supreme [H]ardness
Agreed with better AI.
You'll like this channel, UltraTaco https://www.youtube.com/c/AIGamesSeries/videos

Quite a few games have decent AI and this guy points out what works and what doesn't.

I want to see better animations.
Nothing like knowing a game costs millions to make, looks fantastic and ultra realistic, but a character moves their arm through their other arm, or their elbow vanishes into their abdomen.

SticKx911

2[H]4U
What taco really would like to see is some fascinating AI brains.🤖🤖Seems like many games, npc's are too bloody stupid. Why!? 🤔
Of all the trailers and previews for half life 2 I watched (back in the early 2000s), this was the only issue I remember them really harping on. I would imagine as soon as they develop better AI, we get better at beating it.

I want better campaigns. They can make all games BF2 short if they price them accordingly. Like $10 for a handful of good gameplay hours. Be upfront with consumers about what you’re delivering and people will be more receptive.

With kids and limited play time, hot saves (or frequent at least) are a must. I don’t have the time to invest in any game to actually enjoy multiplayer.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Go back to trying unique things and a more authentic feel. People need to think of how they can progress a game genre forward (not in terms of profits/sales) and center a game around those few things. More destructive environments? Okay, build gameplay around this. Want to make a shooter? Okay, but don't cheap out and make it 3rd person/over the shoulder. How can you make an FPS more realistic and dynamic than anything in the past? Figure something out, impress us. End of the day, unless you're going for something intentionally silly and over the top like Unreal/Quake games are supposed to be immersive. Give me as much control over my character and weapon as possible.

Cut back on useless generic "gamey" things. Unlocks, upgrades, progression and filler content to facilitate this process. Put effort and detail where it counts. Pretty much every game these days feels the same. A bunch of generic upgrades/unlocks throughout the course of the game, regardless of what it is. It can be a shooter or a sci fi or a fantasy game. They all blur together. If you're going to force us into weird inventory management, make it sensible for the specific game. EX) Weapon size/weight, magazine amounts, magazine type and their pouch sizes, and how long it takes to swap between them will matter depending on where they are mounted. Don't make me collect energy drinks, eat bugs for stamina or take poops to make my character temporarily run faster.

And not every game needs a cartoon look and feel, with female Navy SEALs with pink Mohawks and neon sun glasses. I'm fine with it if it fits the theme. Are you doing Saint's Row or Far Cry Blood Dragon? Fine, be as silly as possible. A serious game? Make it look real.

Parja

[H]F Junkie
Go back to trying unique things and a more authentic feel. People need to think of how they can progress a game genre forward (not in terms of profits/sales) and center a game around those few things. More destructive environments?

Yeah, definitely more realism in environments. Don't just slap a bullet hole decal on something when I shoot it. Make it react realistically. When something explodes, there should be a hole in the ground. When I blast a wall with a shotgun, there should be a hole I can see through. When I hack at brush with a machete, some of that brush should get cut away.

Oh, and realistic boob physics, of course. ;)

Pivo504

2[H]4U
Aye, well obviously great graphic.😍💚❤ And sound.

If anyone played alien isolation, that creature was giving taco collywobbles😬☠very scary. We need more smart AI me thinks. Last of us2 seems decent too.
I total agree with this. Games just keep pumping up better graphics while all else goes to crap...we have much better pcs now but games have not changed. Ai in 99% games is still garbage and the same as it's always been...the only game that tried to create better ai was alien isolation and even that was a pretty weak attempt at what should be possible in this day and age! Also how is it that hardly any games have destructive environments, insane...

UltraTaco

Gawd
polonyc2 😂😍agreed 100% mate. Thank you!!
Parja well, they were trying that even with cod1 if I remember correctly, but it was all scripted fence pieces, and holes. Better boobs?😁mate...I guess it's a guy thing.
Keljian mate, "plague tale: innocence" tried that and actually did a bloody good job taco thinks. It starts out as walk nd hide simulator, but really picks up when sling gets upgraded. Fantastic playable character too!

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
Much, much better AI, and I don't mean just difficult, I want more reactive and realistic and less of the AI rushes to its death for the millionth time.

Less emphasis on graphics and more on quality of design and gameply.

Less emphasis on balancing everything like its a competitive twitch game, and more on sheer wow and fun factor. Make it crazy, go wild, abandon reality for insane fun.

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm pretty sure we are limited by hardware but I would like to see objects and materials in games react like you would expect. IE mainly destruction expanded so much more than it currently is. I feel like we are decade away at least before games really start getting destruction accurate.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
I'm pretty sure we are limited by hardware but I would like to see objects and materials in games react like you would expect. IE mainly destruction expanded so much more than it currently is. I feel like we are decade away at least before games really start getting destruction accurate.

I'd like to see a lot more micro destruction. Realistic micro destruction. Not a frag grenade blowing a 6 foot hole in a wall. Things like realistic fire and water would be nice too. Far Cry 2 brought an interesting fire mechanic, but it kind of stayed that way since. No other game really made fire behave much more realistically after that. I understand why, a wildfire out of control can break gameplay. But if there was a game that made fire or water a central theme or gameplay mechanic and they both acted realistic it would be interesting.

socK

2[H]4U
Someone make a shooter without blatantly shoehorning skills or characters into it. You're easily especially guilty if one of those skills or characters lets you see though walls in some capacity.

Somehow we've come to think that's what adds depth to a game when you can spend 400 hours at CS or Quake and still be getting better because the underlying mechanics themselves are just rock fuckin solid and deep as the ocean.

Swede88

Lurker
For me, I would like to see the environment/landscape/city etc. change as your actions evolve. This is done already to a modest degree in some games, where you can build up towns a little, NPC's are walking around, but it would be nice if it were a bit more robust. Some realism would be nice too, for example playing Fallout 4 and no one picked up any damn trash at all despite living in a settlement.

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
My list of wants is simple.
I want to be able to save the game at any time.
I want another FPS game similar to Dark Messiah. I loved the rope bow and arrow for climbing, I loved the way magic could be used (freeze enemies or freeze the floor and see them slip), and I loved the way you could end up in a cross swords situation with an enemy, and I love that you could kick an orc down a flight of stairs.

UltraTaco

Gawd
I almost forgot, would love to see more evil mastermind supervillains! Like bloody evil ones!!(but good looking)

Like that guy in FedEx sim, what's his name? So charming voice!

Domingo

Fully [H]
I'd like to see more first-person RPG's. Games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout that aren't just sequels in those franchises. Either that or games like Rage and Borderlands that have a little bit of twitch to them, but are full-on RPG's rather than just shooters with skill trees.

On the other side of the coin, I'm totally over every game being open-world/sandbox. We've been pointlessly exploring empty open worlds for 20 years now. I want to see more games that tell a story and put you on a defined path to do so. Games like Naughty Dog's Uncharted and The Last of Us.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I'd like to see more first-person RPG's. Games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout that aren't just sequels in those franchises. Either that or games like Rage and Borderlands that have a little bit of twitch to them, but are full-on RPG's rather than just shooters with skill trees.

On the other side of the coin, I'm totally over every game being open-world/sandbox. We've been pointlessly exploring empty open worlds for 20 years now. I want to see more games that tell a story and put you on a defined path to do so. Games like Naughty Dog's Uncharted and The Last of Us.

I agree with the part about open worlds. It gives an illusion of freedom, but most games landscapes are too boring and dull to make use of them. They distract you from the narrative simply to pad the game's time to completion. It's not generally meaningful in any way.

LazyGamer

Weaksauce
I'd like to see better character animations. Clunky character animations take you of the game real quick.

I'd also like to see a real focus on responsiveness. id does this the best, I think, but it needs to be a focus for all genres.

UltraTaco

Gawd
I'd like to see better character animations. Clunky character animations take you of the game real quick.

I'd also like to see a real focus on responsiveness. id does this the best, I think, but it needs to be a focus for all genres.
+1 on that, which brings taco to another point. Fantastic soundtracks!!

Deusex manking divided was fascinating with the music, even though gameplay wasn't very ultra. Music just made it feel like you're doing something epic and the world appreciates you for it!!

But those animations, especially lip sync, bloody failure!

Krenum

[H]F Junkie
A game that is actually finished in development upon release. You know...like the olden days. Of course that will never happen again.

Flybye

Limp Gawd
I want to see more bullet sponges and impossible beings. I want the enemy to force me to come back when I am better prepared. I want an enemy so impossible that it will make me sweat while fighting it. I want an enemy so impossible that it will make me question my life choices. I want an enemy so difficult that I won’t even have time to look at it. I want the the monster that forces all other players to go whining at the developers at how impossible the fight is.