What do you want to see in a new Mass Effect title?

zamardii

2[H]4U
With everything trying so hard to emulate Call of Duty, and being disappointed with Mass Effect 3 there is a lot to questions about the next Mass Effect. We know it is in development (http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/07/bioware-teases-new-mass-effect-with-n7-day-photos/) so what is it that you want to see and not see in the next Mass Effect?

Personally, I thought the atmosphere of the first game was fantastic. The soundtrack was amazing, and I personally loved traveling the solar system and landing on foreign planets with the Maco. I did not like the way weapons were handled in the first game... Too complex and took away from the game for me.

I would love to see a return of the exploratory elements of the first game and the exploration with the Maco. I would love to see the combat incorporated from ME2. I thought the controls for ME2 were perfect for the series. Would love the music and mysterious atmosphere of the first game brought back. What I mean by mysteriousness is the ominous music sometimes, and the feeling of immensity in space. Like that feeling of seeing the glare of a close star from a planet you just landed on.a I love great dialogue and side stories like in the first game. I loved reading about the different races, and the information about the planets when traveling to them. Not to mention with the new consoles, and the advances in PC capabilities I hope they build the game on top of a great looking engine.

Anyway, what are you looking forward to or don't want in Mass Effect 4?

I kind of want the inventory system of the first one again. I enjoyed the "complexity" of it(It really was quite simple). The exploration of the first would be welcome if it wasn't so linear and boring after a while, I think Skyrim Radiant Quests got their idea from that because it was just as boring. Really though, I want the choices to have more of an impact. I felt like none of the choices really mattered throughout the series up until the third one(For the ending, seems most of the ME1/ME2 choices just increased/decreased your military level or w/e it was called).

Nothing. End the series. The real BioWare died a long time ago.

Maybe a more open world, more side missions, a reason to keep playing after the storyline was over. No painful gathering of minerals with probes ><

a new mass effect game will be multiplayer, co-op squad based action game with slight RPG elements. i don't want this but that's how i imagine them going. i feel like it's how they think they can sell the most copies of the game.

on the other hand, i want to play the first game on the ME3 engine. the story, dialog voice acting, music, everything was phenomenal but the leveling engine and the game play is hard to go back to after how much smoother it feels in the recent titles.

I'd like to see a proper ending for ME3 so that ME3 is finally worth buying.
Also, ME IP would make for a good MMO.

a new mass effect game will be multiplayer, co-op squad based action game with slight RPG elements. i don't want this but that's how i imagine them going. i feel like it's how they think they can sell the most copies of the game.

on the other hand, i want to play the first game on the ME3 engine. the story, dialog voice acting, music, everything was phenomenal but the leveling engine and the game play is hard to go back to after how much smoother it feels in the recent titles.

I was predicting it a year ago.

Battlfield Call of Mass Dragon Crysis Age Duty Effect 1942

You guys not wanting the ME universe to continue are nuts! Everything about ME3. Music, storytelling/characters, sound effects, gunplay, how you build your character, etc. I loved it all and want them to make more games of the ME trilogys' caliber.

It wont happen, but I would love to see a return to a more traditional RPG system like in the first game. Dynamic inventory etc.. Move away from a linear storyline and branch out into a larger scale world.

I would actually enjoy playing more than just Shepard too. Actually I would like Mass Effect to be just like Dragon Age : Origins lol. Control my entire squad on the fly, would be a dream.

You guys not wanting the ME universe to continue are nuts! Everything about ME3. Music, storytelling/characters, sound effects, gunplay, how you build your character, etc. I loved it all and want them to make more games of the ME trilogys' caliber.

How you built your character kind of sucked in all of them. No matter what you did you pretty much always inevitably ended up with an ugly ass character.

The artificial limitations were downright annoying in 2/3. Like in #2 all the good looking DLC armors had non-removable helmets that hid your ugly-ass PC, which maybe isn't such a downfall so much as a "feature". In #3, both #2 and #3 short of modding coalesced your armors were all pretty atrocious looking....and in #1 all the armors were ugly low-res reskins.

Animations pretty much sucked lots too...Why would a female Shepard run around like a male NFL football player?

The textures in all the games set a new low bar for sucking.

Soundeffects/music were decent

Story telling in 1 was good...2 sucked and was the font of tedium....3 was better than I expected.

Dialogue options were pretty much cookie-cutter "I'd never say that" that all pointed to basically the same outcome in every conversation.

So nope. I hope they don't make any more games of Mass Effect "caliber", they all sucked for varying reasons. Fun enough for what they were (I did spend many hours in #1 and less in #3, #2 was a 2 playthrough game), but not that great.

Last edited:
Keep all the "feel" of ME3, inventory, gunplay, etc. Better exploration than in ME1, the Mako got boring after a while, but could be good with more effort. Story length, depth and decisions mattering like they did in ME1.

I liked the universe, and I'd love to see a much less "epic" story just exploring the world that was built with ME1. That said, I thought series went into the shitter in ME2 because of the writing, the mainstreaming of various systems (lets put a generic ammo system in guys), etc.

I want a game that is devoid of connection to the old ME games - as in you don't deal with saving the universe, old characters, don't fly around on the Normandy, etc. I want to play a generic foot-soldier off saving his family somewhere or something, with believable characters to interact and not have sex with

I liked the universe, and I'd love to see a much less "epic" story just exploring the world that was built with ME1. That said, I thought series went into the shitter in ME2 because of the writing, the mainstreaming of various systems (lets put a generic ammo system in guys), etc.

I want a game that is devoid of connection to the old ME games - as in you don't deal with saving the universe, old characters, don't fly around on the Normandy, etc. I want to play a generic foot-soldier off saving his family somewhere or something, with believable characters to interact and not have sex with

But ZOMG! Horny teenagerz like the non-screwable robot with what look like lady parts that walks around nekkid!

I liked the series, and the first was my favorite even though the combat was the worst. Many things I would like to see in a future ME game:

- Put a larger focus on the broader picture of the story and a larger emphasis on the science fiction aspects. Don't focus too much on individuals as that is generic and gets old. ME2 dumbed this aspect down a lot and placed a larger focus on the characters; and all the aliens may as well have been humans dealing with their mundane problems. Make it a science fiction game, not a science fiction backdrop.

- Some exploration on uninhabited or very sparely inhabited planets like in ME1. Just make them more interesting with more things to do and discover.

- Make maps open. It does not have to be extremely open, but all the ME1 and especially 2/3 were extremely linear.

- Make the different upgrades/classes allow for different styles of gameplay. Or just allow more options. In Mass Effect there is really only one way to play and your upgrades are really just different ways to kill enemies. Dues Ex Human Revolution gave you more freedom of gameplay choice (stealth or loud and lethal). Something along those lines would be nice.

- More ports that are more interesting, larger, and have more side missions. I am thinking of 7-8 ports, larger than the Citadel in ME1 for each.

- Some things/ways to interact with your ship.

- If you make a big decision, make it have consequences. Most of the important choices you made in ME1 had little affect in ME2. Choose Anderson over Udina? All we got were a few different lines.

- Bring back the order in which we do story missions.

- Quality side missions.

- More consistency with the weapons. Are we shooting bullets or lasers? Seems to change depending on the line being spoken. If there are bullet and laser based weapons, make them have different properties and behave differently.

I want the Origin requirement to be removed.
+1

The best part of the series has always been the characters. It's always been the sort of game that when I'm talking about it with friends, every time we talk about a character, I realize they are one of my favorites in the series.

With the way ME3 ended, though, I would want to explore something completely related to existing characters. Perhaps a dramatically different time in the history of the fiction, even.

I liked the ammo/heat system in the first game better than what followed in 2 and 3. I thought it was a nice change and I liked the different weapon mods/ammo changed the dynamics.

personally I don't see how they can go forward with the story. or even sideways. I would rather see them do something along the lines of the first contact war, the rachni wars and the krogan rebellions.

I'm not entirely sure how lore can continue in the current ME universe without the story becoming even further bungled

I'm not entirely sure how lore can continue in the current ME universe without the story becoming even further bungled

Start with Joker's mechanical banging of EDE. There I said it. Things can only get better from that point on.

I'd like to see some space combat. They could keep ME 2 and 3 ground combat but balance it out with player controlled/commanded ship to ship warfare (and more MAKO!). It could be a side story during lulls between game canon (i.e. when Shepard was "dead" during ME2 or the 6 months he was grounded before ME3) based on new player character and crew. They could stumble on the pre-Reaper invasion on some secret mission around colonies and yadda yadda they save the galaxy from something but die or were never heard from again thus not influencing the main storyline.

I dont want more Mass Effect. Mass Effect for me is one of the best games/sagas/whateveryouwanttocallit ever made. It has a start, a body and an ending. DONT screw up the name of Mass Effect, just make another game that has NOTHING to do with Mass Effect even if its based in that universe.

BUT PLEASE DONT DO ANOTHER MASS EFFECT.

I want to be able to pick a race, kind of like Dragon Age: Origins let you pick elves or dwarves for example. Instead of a human you could play as Krogan, Asari, Drell or Elcor. Ok maybe not that last one. :D

I suspect it's being built with the Frostbite 3 engine. I just hope they will implement a good action RPG with depth. I want the best of ME1 & ME2 combined into a better game. ME3 failed to capture my imagination w/ the screwball plot that falls flat on its face.

I want to be able to pick a race, kind of like Dragon Age: Origins let you pick elves or dwarves for example. Instead of a human you could play as Krogan, Asari, Drell or Elcor. Ok maybe not that last one. :D

It'll be like the Blasto movies.

Nothing. End the series. The real BioWare died a long time ago.

Mmmmm hmmmm...

papaea.jpg

For those of you worried about more Shepard, they've already said it won't involve Shepard. Hopefully they aren't lying this time, like they were with the comments "there won't be multiplayer in ME3" and then "you don't need to play multiplayer to get all of the SP endings."

For those of you worried about more Shepard, they've already said it won't involve Shepard. Hopefully they aren't lying this time, like they were with the comments "there won't be multiplayer in ME3" and then "you don't need to play multiplayer to get all of the SP endings."
Mass Effect 4: The Search For Shepard.

No matter what they do with it, the shooting mechanics always feel stiff and not fluid enough. Give me a better way of evading and going to cover - make them different buttons or improve the object detection. Too often I find myself doing somersaults into the corner of an obstacle instead of getting behind cover.

Plot-wise, I'd love to see some normal interaction and day-to-day wars that aren't based on the end of the universe. Focus on the discovery of a new alien race, planet, etc. or a conflict that doesn't end up with everyone working together.

System-wise, I'd like to see the special abilities tweaked to make the characters actually different. As of right now there are 7-8 powers that seem to randomly be distributed to different characters. I'd prefer to have every character to have totally different powers and abilities to the point of having little to no overlap.

Inventory-wise, I'd suggest a clean break from all 3 previous games. Diablo got all of this right years ago. Just give me a paper-doll inventory with the add-ons working like gems.

What do I want in the next Mass Effect title? The same thing I wanted in ME3 and never got: Steam availability. I refuse to use Origin, so it looks like I'll never get to play. So far it still doesn't look like I'm missing out on much.

Ship battles and boarding like Buck Rogers for Sega Genesis. Would be a dream come true.

More coherent storytelling and more believable characters.

One had a pretty strong story and nice story telling method, IMO. Characters were rather believable given the theme.

ME2's story was weak, the characters were odd, yet so human and modern like it was mundane.

ME3's overall story was okay. Stronger than the second, but still kind of dull compared to ME1. I did not like the ending much either.

Back