What do *you* use your Dually for?

unhappy_mage said:
You mean :mad:
shocked.gif
cheap power supplies and lack of cooling!!! Unless you're talking about the diamondmax 8's, but everyone has their bad days...
QFT.

Ive never had a Maxtor drive die on me, mine have always been well cooled/

lithium726 said:
QFT.

Ive never had a Maxtor drive die on me, mine have always been well cooled/

I had two of those maxtor ultra ata-133 drives die in two years, one after another. Both were mounted directly in front of 2 80mm intake fans. Never buying maxtor again.

I've had Maxtor's fail on me, but never WD. I only buy WD these days.

Slartibartfast said:
I had two of those maxtor ultra ata-133 drives die in two years, one after another. Both were mounted directly in front of 2 80mm intake fans. Never buying maxtor again.
what series?

the DM8's were shitty. DM9 and 10/ ML II and III are pretty damn good.

lithium726 said:
what series?

I've got two Diamond Max 10's that I got a great deal on. They've been running in my file server now for 6 months or so without any issues. So far so good.

unhappy_mage said:
You mean :mad:
shocked.gif
cheap power supplies and lack of cooling!!! Unless you're talking about the diamondmax 8's, but everyone has their bad days...

I'm thinking they might be DM 8s Yes I have a low-end 350Watt PS but it's never given me any trouble. The drives do not have active cooling but they are spaced well apart in a large case.

weasel2htm said:
Yes I have a low-end 350Watt PS but it's never given me any trouble.
... other than maybe killing some disks... How do the voltages on that thing look? Check with a multimeter in the molex plugs. My POV would be that anything plugged into hardware that once worked and is now dead is suspect.

lithium726 said:
what series?

I don't remember, I got the first one over three years ago, it lasted six months, I RMA'd it to Maxtor, the replacement lasted a whopping 18 months. So that one died a long time ago.

Speaking of WD, I have a wonky 80gig WD with a strange issue nobody has any idea about (I've posted it in disk storage before). When I have in a comp, after a while it will start causing the system to lock when detecting IDE devices. Like, the bios won't see it. And sometimes, the drive will fail while being read from in windows, causing a hard lock. If I move it to another comp, it will be fine for a few weeks, then start doing it again.

I'll try and check when I get home, but the other two HDs in the system, Seagate 4GB(System Drive) and a WD 3GB have ran forever with no issues. The RMA replacement for one of the drives has also ran fine.

I have a an older PIII dually, but I use mine for a ventrilo server(public), small file server and I am in the process of putting mythtv and I will use it to encode shows.

I think I am going to buy a DVD burner and use it to encode DVDs and rip them.

Back