What do you use VMs for at home?

Screen shot :)

Ordering 4 more 8 gig sticks soon, going to get this R415 to 64gigs ram :)

april-xen-vms.jpg

I found it nicer to use, flows easier to find and do things.

the free version is unlimited ram and cpu, where esxi limits you to 32 gigs.

Is there a utility to convert ESXi VMs to Xen VMs, or are they interoperable?

The free version is unlimited ram and cpu, where esxi limits you to 32 gigs.

How does the memory management work with Xen? I've heard if you allocate say 2GB to a VM, that 2GB is GONE from your total, whether the VM is using it or not, and you have to pay to get past this. It was my understanding vSphere and others don't have this limitation.

How does the memory management work with Xen? I've heard if you allocate say 2GB to a VM, that 2GB is GONE from your total, whether the VM is using it or not, and you have to pay to get past this. It was my understanding vSphere and others don't have this limitation.

If you look at my screen shot, that is true, however you can see that some of my vm's are allocated 4 gigs but only use 1 gig..

If you look at my screen shot, that is true, however you can see that some of my vm's are allocated 4 gigs but only use 1 gig..

I think he means.... If you allocated 4GB and the VM is only using 1GB, are other VM's not able to use the other 3GB?

This isnt really an issue for me. My VM's have dedicated purposes and I give the machines as little as they possibly need.

I use the following VMs on my Mac Pro with VMware Fusion 4:

Windows 7 64 Standard Install (For testing various things)
Windows XP Standard Install (For testing various things)
PHP/Postgres Dev environment on Ubuntu
Minecraft Server on Ubuntu
Oracle DB 11g
Oracle Application Server 10g
Oracle Business Intelligence 10g
Oracle Business Intelligence 11g

I think he means.... If you allocated 4GB and the VM is only using 1GB, are other VM's not able to use the other 3GB?

This isnt really an issue for me. My VM's have dedicated purposes and I give the machines as little as they possibly need.

if you allocate ram to a vm, the others cant use it.. on the free version..

Just one VM, Mint 12 for learning dvorak. Windows' habit of changing keyboard layout randomly when you press modifier keys annoyed me too much.

Yeah, wish I could learn Medicine by experimenting at home... :p

You can, however is may have a diverse effect on your life. :eek:

Virtualization system: VMware vSphere5

VM Running:
- pfSense (router/firewall)
- Trixbox (VoIP server)
- Exchange 2010 (Mailbox/Hub Transport/Clien Access)
- Exchange 2010 (Edge Transport) + Forefront for Exchange
- Windows 2008 (Active Directory master)
- Windows 2008 (Active Directory slave/replica)
- Linux (DNS Master)
- Linux (DNS Slave/Replica)
- Exchange 2010 (Edge Transport) - MX Backup
+ 15/20 other VM for testing/dev (Windows/Linux/Unix/MacOSX)

And the beuty of it all is your rig probably burns 500watts at most haha!

All of those on separate servers is probably 5000+ watts/hr of energy.

And the beuty of it all is your rig probably burns 500watts at most haha!

All of those on separate servers is probably 5000+ watts/hr of energy.

Depends really.

First, pfSense, Trixbox, DNS Master/Slave and ADC Pri/Backup can be run on ultra low power boxes and still have performance to spare. This with certain systems being perfectly suitable to be run on the same hardware and OS.

Second, I'm wondering on how many ESXi boxes he has those VM's running.

If it is 1, then having 2 DC's, 2 DNS, backup MX, etc, is utterly worthless and totally defeats the purpose of having them at all.

If he has the quality 2-3 box setup for redundancy, you are likely already over 500W/h.

You always should keep "backup" and "secondary" machines on separate hardware (be it a second ESXi or physical hardware), otherwise having them is completely pointless and actually wasting more power. Since they are useless for redundancy yet use CPU cycles.

As for the 5000+W thing, nah, not even close, that can be built for under 1000W/h under normal operation. No need to exaggerate things further then likely already using 1/2 the power on much less hardware cost.

But power savings alone don't excuse you to ruin all redundancy.

Hide from physics teachers. They'll hate you. :>

You draw power in W and use energy in Wh. W/h is useless.

if you allocate ram to a vm, the others cant use it.. on the free version..
If you are using XenServer you might want to change your signature, it says Xen 6.0 which doesn't exist. Xen is not the same thing as XenServer.

If you switch to XCP it supports DMC

I really can't see the point of using XenServer instead of XCP if you look at this feature comparison...
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP/XenServer_Feature_Matrix

If you are using XenServer you might want to change your signature, it says Xen 6.0 which doesn't exist. Xen is not the same thing as XenServer.

If you switch to XCP it supports DMC

I really can't see the point of using XenServer instead of XCP if you look at this feature comparison...
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP/XenServer_Feature_Matrix

Fixed the Sig :) thanks :)

One thing i hate about esxi xen etc etc, is there is no web gui :( Proxmox was the only one i could find that had a web-interface that was controllable from mac pc and linux.

To get that kind of functionality, you have to install a 3rd party software on a vm, to controle the host.

:(

Im sorry- I meant VM the 2008 media wiki- just curious its details and what u use it for.

Accidentally said box :(

I use the following VMs on my Mac Pro with VMware Fusion 4:

Windows 7 64 Standard Install (For testing various things)
Windows XP Standard Install (For testing various things)
PHP/Postgres Dev environment on Ubuntu
Minecraft Server on Ubuntu
Oracle DB 11g
Oracle Application Server 10g
Oracle Business Intelligence 10g
Oracle Business Intelligence 11g

How is the performance on this?

And how much ram are you using?

And what disks, i.e SSD or the standard HDD's?

Thanks,

G.

Had a quick question.. do you guys setup AD servers for lab use or for your entire home network? and is it just for security or just testing or just exchange?

How is the performance on this?

And how much ram are you using?

And what disks, i.e SSD or the standard HDD's?

Thanks,

G.

Sorry for the late response - Performance is decent, though I only run at most 2 VMs at a time.

My Mac Pro has the 6-core 3.33ghz xeon and 12gb ram. I usually only give 8-10gb total towards VMs. All of my VMs are on a standard 7200 rpm WD Caviar Black.

Had a quick question.. do you guys setup AD servers for lab use or for your entire home network? and is it just for security or just testing or just exchange?

Mine serve AD for my home network. I need GPOs pushed to the kids computers. :)

I now have a properly setup SBS 2010 server at home that I'm loving, works great.

Now to upgrade my storage situation & move my vm's to local.

MAN computer hobbies are NOT CHEAP!!!

All on VSphere 5

Production VMs:
1 2008 Domain Controller
1 2008 Web Server serving out 2moons
1 2008 Webdev Server
1 2008 App Server serving out Bukkit
1 2008 App Server serving out Killing Floor
1 2008 App Server serving out Terraria
1 2008 Vcenter server
1 2003 Legacy Kerio Mail Server

For learning:

2 2008 R2 Exchange Mailbox Servers
1 2008 R2 Exchange CAS
1 2008 R2 Exchange Hub
1 2008 R2 Exchange Edge
1 2008 SCOM
1 2008 SCCM
1 2008 SCSM
1 2008 SCORCH
1 2008 SQL 2008

2011 Mac Mini - OS X Lion - 2.3GHz i5 - 8GB RAM

Vmware Fusion:
- Ubuntu Development Web Server
- Win7 Minecraft server and IE browser tester

I know, hardcore ;)

VirtualBox 4.1.x on my workstation, and on a Dell PowerEdge 1900.

Workstation VMs:

Windows XP Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Linux Mint 12
OpenSUSE 12.1
QuantaStore 3.0 Technology preview

Server VMs:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard running SQL Server 2008 R2

I had a dev server, test server and DB server for my gaming server, but I recently shut that down. Basically everything got coded on dev, put on test for public beta testing, then put on live which is hosted online as I don't have enough bandwidth at home.

I also have a p2p server running Transmission. I have a bunch of other vms like windows 8 to mess around with as well.

A lot of my stuff runs on the host server itself. Eventually I want to separate the functions into different servers, so have a separate file, mail, dns etc server. On the other hand it is kinda easier to manage when they're all on one.

I recently built a new machine with 16GB of ram so chances are most dev vms like testing different versions of OSes will be done on that machine now.

pbx server (piaf)
Download box (server 2003)
subversion server (ubuntu server)

Server 2008r2 (for learning)

Anyone use a VM to run an OS for security cameras? Thinking about getting a geovision card with some monoprice cameras but would like to tie it into my server.

Anyone use a VM to run an OS for security cameras? Thinking about getting a geovision card with some monoprice cameras but would like to tie it into my server.

BlueCherry - Ubuntu
Ubiquity AirVision - Ubuntu

I just run stuff to break and fiddle around.

I5 MacBook Pro. 8gb, 512ssd

Then I run a w7 mgmt machine, 2 vESXi, a P4000 and a NetApp Sim. It actually holds up quite aright.

I just run stuff to break and fiddle around.

I5 MacBook Pro. 8gb, 512ssd

Then I run a w7 mgmt machine, 2 vESXi, a P4000 and a NetApp Sim. It actually holds up quite aright.
This is exactly where I want to get too. Maybe keep one beefy server. I'm thinking about:

i5 macbook Pro
16GB upgrade from newegg
256GB SSD
Superdrive replacement that houses additional 500GB 7200RPM harddrive, maybe a hybrid.
Fusion, Windows 7 Pro and a couple of vESXi and an UberVSA

I'm not sure what the new job is going to provide..so i'm waiting it out. I'm guessing a Windows Laptop..which I'll forego and just get myself a Macbook again. I'm also thinking about running a Hackintosh on some spare hardware I have around here.

Last edited:
I use VMWare so I can run OSX and do iOS development on my PC without the need for a real Mac.

VMWare ESXi5
Microsoft Exchage / Email
Jabber IM
Domain Controllers
File Server
PBX / Phone System
Web Host

Two host cluster running ESXi 5 using Synology for storage.
Exchange 2007 & 2010 running in coexistence mode.
View 5
Xen App 6.5
Two DC's
SQL Server (2012)
Web Server (IIS)
SRM

Have been using ESXI/XenServer/Hyper-V in production environments for a few years. I've juggled back and forth between HV for home use but I'm currently using XCP 1.6 + XenCenter 6.1.

It provides 95-100% of the XenServer Platinum's features at none of the cost. For those that don't know, XCP is derived from the Xen Hypervisor just like Citrix's XenServer and a few other solutions out there. It offers a much greater feature set compared to, imo, both Citrix and VMWare's Free Licenses.

I'm running a few linux boxes currently, one file server, one web server and bunch of play around / destroy rebuild VM. I'm limited with what I can really do by my X6, I plan on upgrading at some point to either a Xeon E3/E5 setup.

Sorry for the necro, but this threads fun!

Back