What Do You Use To Watch TV On Your PC?

I recently got rid of my cable tv and sense then have been looking into getting a TV tuner card for a HTPC to watch live TV through an outdoor antenna. I've been looking into how I would set it up, which tuner card, antenna, software, OS, etc to go with.

I thought I would ask here what you guys use to watch live TV on your HTPC's, both hardware and software?

*I've been leaning towards running NextPVR with Kodi.

Last edited:
People actually watch network television?

I can't think of any shows I watch on standard network television. Actually, I like NCIS but I wait until it hits one of the streaming sites. That's all I can think of. For me, network television is the bottom of the barrel.

I used to use Windows Media Center. I've since switched to Tivo for my DVR needs though.

I'm interested in knowing also. I gave up my NFL season ticket 2 years ago, but there was a couple local games I would of love to have on the side comp going on local broadcast while playing so video games. I've tried things like front row sport, but it felt more dangerous than diving into the local bar hopping groupies rancid vajayjay with how much shit it tries to do to your computer.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I use Media Center to watch TV from antenna and most of the shows I watch are on network television. I've even been watching quite a few old school shows on some of the sub-channels. There's still some things I watch on satellite channels but for the most part it's network shows on the local channels.

I don't watch live TV from my HTPC. I record all my OTA programming and watch it after the commercials have been edited out (with AVIdemux and saved into a .mkv container). If I want to watch something live I use the cable box.

I got rid of HTPCs long ago.

Antenna-->HD Homerun Extend ---> Desktop
" " ---> Tablet
" " ---> Fire TV

My most common use is having local news up on the desktop/tablet when nasty weather comes around.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I use Media Center to watch TV from antenna and most of the shows I watch are on network television. I've even been watching quite a few old school shows on some of the sub-channels. There's still some things I watch on satellite channels but for the most part it's network shows on the local channels.

I must be too, as my wife and I have several network shows that we watch.

Anyways, we have a TiVO Roamio, which aggregates all of our online/cable content the best IMO. It also supports Plex streaming, so 90% of the HTPC duties are covered for me. We have an Oppo for Bluray/DVD playback.

Personally if we did cut the cord then the Roamio has an OTA tuner built in.

Also have a TiVo Roamio, (Skip mode rocks!) and I'm totally cord-cut, so yes, I still watch network shows. I never thought of Network TV as bottom-of-the-barrel. It is if you watch only competitive reality shows, but that genre of TV is finally showing signs of dying.

Also have a TiVo Roamio, (Skip mode rocks!) and I'm totally cord-cut, so yes, I still watch network shows. I never thought of Network TV as bottom-of-the-barrel. It is if you watch only competitive reality shows, but that genre of TV is finally showing signs of dying.

Fuck yes, I'm digging skip mode too. Press D and you're done!

I don't watch live TV from my HTPC. I record all my OTA programming and watch it after the commercials have been edited out (with AVIdemux and saved into a .mkv container). If I want to watch something live I use the cable box.

Same.

I record with WMC (for the free guide), strip commercials and store for binging. I have a TV if I want to watch Live TV (news/Sports).

As far as all the slagging of network TV. I like/collect lots of network shows: Person of Interest, Elementary, Blacklist, Grimm, Orphan Black, Gotham (+ movies and documentaries). It's not high art, but it is free entertainment.

HDhomerun DVR windows 10 app for live tv on every PC in my house including our HTPC. I use the harmony remote with the bluetook keyboard added on... and the custom mapped IR/Keyboard buttons to the iOS Harmony app..... works well enough of the HTPC

everything is recorded, MCEBuddy strips commercials moves TV shows and movies into folders on my SAN and plex picks them up.... use Plex for everything other than Live TV

Back