What do you use to play MP3s?

CrimandEvil said:
Actually they are about the same size (if I have iTunes on screen it's either in "mini" mode or sometimes I'll have to switch to the full mode) then I minimize to the system tray. Always it's a moot point.

--Edit--
Heres what I mean:
iTunes in full mode
iTunes in mini mode
Shot of my Desktop
(notice iTunes in the System Tray)

Also:
Another Desktop shot(Transparent)
Another mini shot(Transparent)

Heh, I think he meant the memory footprint--which i DO agree is a bit ridiculous.

However, since iTunes is the only thing I really like now, I excuse little things like that. (25ish MB vs. 5MB for Winamp5, though Winamp5 can go to 10-11MB if you use the Media library, which I did).

foobar! if the interface bugs you, just go and download FooAMP or some gooey.

I know why people use iTunes, and I know why people use WinAMP, but I have no clue about Foobar2000.

Anyone want to give me a quick run down of why you use Foobar2k over the other players?

Winamp 5.03c. I have never had it crash once, in fact it has been stable as a rock (more stable than WMP 9).

MusicMatch 8.2 and my speakers....waa waa waa. I paid the 50 bucks *at the time* for MM 7.5 or so and lifetime updates. Seems to be kick ass so far.

Winamp 2.97 with the MILKDROP visualization plugin.

Everyone here totally needs to get milkdrop and listen to some pink floyd. :cool:

zlooop said:
Winamp 2.97 with the MILKDROP visualization plugin.

Everyone here totally needs to get milkdrop and listen to some pink floyd. :cool:

funny you should say that, I was actually listening to pink floyd while reading the thread... now to get the milkdrop plugin? lol

also, I know foobar plays the 'flack' uncompressed format, but what about winamp? Does it play it?

I use Winamp 2.91 as I feel it is the fastest version of Winamp available. I've tried iTunes but other than messing up my CD drives there's nothing it really offers that my Winamp doesn't do and of course Winamp is most probably faster at doing it.

The Hockster said:
I use Winamp 2.91 as I feel it is the fastest version of Winamp available. I've tried iTunes but other than messing up my CD drives there's nothing it really offers that my Winamp doesn't do and of course Winamp is most probably faster at doing it.
Have you tried 5.03? It's much, much better than 3, and is "newer" than 2.91. :cool:

lorcani said:
Have you tried 5.03? It's much, much better than 3, and is "newer" than 2.91. :cool:.

Yep, I've tried it. I'd say it's practically the same as version 2 but I think it is slightly slower and tbh I don't really need/use the newer features, thus there's no real benfit from installing it rather than the older one yet.

sniper991122 said:
funny you should say that, I was actually listening to pink floyd while reading the thread... now to get the milkdrop plugin? lol

also, I know foobar plays the 'flack' uncompressed format, but what about winamp? Does it play it?

I seriously think this plugin changed my life.. lol... did you like it?

zlooop said:
I seriously think this plugin changed my life.. lol... did you like it?

have yet to try it, but I really want to.. I don't feel like re-reripping hundreds of cd's... Im assuming you like it though? :)

Winamp 5.03. Works great for me, and the transparency feature for the modern skin is cool. One of the these days, though, I think I'll check out foobar. And yes, Winamp can play the FLAC file format. You just need to download a plugin at the winamp.com website.

sniper991122 said:
have yet to try it, but I really want to.. I don't feel like re-reripping hundreds of cd's... Im assuming you like it though? :)

its a visualization

I use winamp 5. I've never had any problems with it. ever.
Some call it a resource hog, but on the machine most people around here run (2-3ghz cpu, 512mb-1gb RAM, etc), I don't think it matters.

colin said:
I use winamp 5. I've never had any problems with it. ever.
Some call it a resource hog, but on the machine most people around here run (2-3ghz cpu, 512mb-1gb RAM, etc), I don't think it matters.
Seriously, folks, we're blaming winamp for consuming <25MB (18 in my case) when most people here pride themselves in high end hardware? Not to mention, overcomplicated visual themes, and unnecessary background programs and services consume far more.

haha woah with all this conversation I am surprised no one has said Sonique... I used to use that for a while, it's not bad but it's not great either... Winamp 5.xx is my player of choice now...

i currently use zinf

if musicmatch ever adds ogg vorbis support i might switch back to that.

I use WinAmp 2.95, mostly for the AdaptX plugin that allows me to use my high end Waves Sonar and wrapped Cuabse VST effects. The BBE maximizer and Waves MaxxBass plugs work miracles on mp3s.

[edit] Oh yeah, Milkdrop roxx!

Back