What do you use to browse the net??

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
Just want to find out what you all browse the net with?

I browse with Mozilla Firebird (just switched from IE)

Firebird for 99% of the web. myIE2 for the other 1% that don't display correctly except when rendered by the IE.

i use firebird, and IE only when firebird displays sites "too corrently" and its messed up. I thought opera looked good, but i think its too slow 2 load.

Generally, I use Opera, but I've slowly been converting over to ye olde dinosaur for most my personal stuff.

At work, my boss has a crappy timeclock system built around ASP that is IE dependent, so I have to use that there.

Rough break down:
IE 10%
Mozilla 25%
Opera 65%

Opera has a new beta out that looks really nice. It should be really good when they get it all done. I currently use Firebird and the main reason im useing it over opera is cause i like the look of the interface more. The favicons and bookmark seperators are a big plus to me. Other then that Opera is alot more feature rich. I miss my ability to right click and save text or web links in my notes with Opera. That was really handy for on the fly browseing. I only use IE6 when i can't get Firebird to load a page.

Accually, I just use IE6

No need for anything else

Plus firebird and all that dosent have the Windows Feel i like (WTF is up with the sideways hand pointer anyway? :confused: )

I've been using Opera for a few years now except for when a site isn't truly HTML standards compliant and doesn't work properly except with IE. Then I'll use IE for as short of a period as I can. At least, that's my choice at home.

I work for a state govt agency and they can be Nazis when it comes to installing "3rd party software" and so I haven't installed Opera on my work system yet. I'll probably get around to it one of these days though since it's highly unlikely I'd ever get into any type of real trouble. That's if anyone even notices.

I currently use IE6. I hav'nt had any problems with it yet.

But, i will say that after trying Mozilla Firebird, the firebird is everything IE6 is plus a little safer (such as warnings that IE just does not have, but should) or (notifiying you of downloads, where as IE will just start downloading).

The only thing i hate about firebird, is that its DEATHLY slow with Java, compared to Microsofts's default java. I use Java intensive programs alot (such as for stocks), and for me i like it fast.

I am not a big fan of normal Mozilla, or Netscape. I hate AOL. And im going to try Opera very soon (downloading now).

To sum up though, if you want the IE6 "feel" but don't need the fast speed of its Default Java, then Firebird is what i would recommend.

~Hope this helps

Originally posted by Bio Hazord
I browse with Mozilla Firebird (just switched from IE)

same applies to me.

my favorite part about firebird actually is the way it prints webpages

I've become addicted to firebird. At first I didn't like it, and I was skeptical.... but now you can't pull me away from it. I only use IE for windows update.

Originally posted by mcryptic
mozilla 99.9%*

*i just can't use it for windows update:(
Obvious solution for that: Stop using windows. :) Seriously tho, Fedora Core is, fucking awsome.

where can i get mozilla firebird and how much?
http://www.mozilla.org. It's free.

Originally posted by mcryptic
no i don't do red crap stuff... slackware > *
hey, nobody loves slack more than I do.

But damn it, Fedora Core is just so easy to use and install. For a desktop OS, the only thing I've used that beats it is Max OSX, and that's only by a thin margin.

IE6 only. I only use Firebird and Opera to make sure a website I have made looks ok across browsers.

Firebird user here. The only time I use IE is for windows updates and one anime site where the menus freak out in Firebird for whatever reason.

Also to note: With firebird, it does not accept certain content....... Very "certain" content... and im not sure what it is.

If you goto www.yahoo.com with IE6, you can see above the search bar tabs like "web" "images" "products". With Firebird, i do not have these "tabs".

Also to note, the pictures load diffrently. Instead of big "leaps" in IE, they load in very small incriments. The only other diffrence ive noticed is that the scrolling with a "mouse wheel". IE will go slow, but then make a huge jump in speed, whereas the Firebird does not have this "jump" in speed.

Just little things that are diffrent, but nothing too bad.
Like i said before, the only thing i don't like is the slow java.

thats weird that yahoo would do that.. i don't know why, those tabs are hella easy to do in CSS, and i know that Mozilla can do that effect since i was working on a site with very similar tabs.

ahh i see they have a java script to detect your browser, so yahoo disabled the CSS for all non-IE browsers, since Netscape 4.x cannot do the CSS i think.

i use avant browser. it's not really too bad.

i've tried using firebird, but i just can't. it pisses me off when stuff just doesn't show up...:mad:

I use only Firebird- Best browser IMO. If a site doesn't display properly I fire off a helpful email and then stop going there.

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
Firebird for 99% of the web. myIE2 for the other 1% that don't display correctly except when rendered by the IE.

me too, i used to use Opera, then i switched to Firebird and i was like *yes*. I just downloaded the "All-In-One Mouse Gestures" plugin, and configured it like Opera's mouse gestures, and *BAM*.

Opera Mouse Gestures + SPEEEED. :D

Originally posted by towert7
Also to note: With firebird, it does not accept certain content....... Very "certain" content... and im not sure what it is.

If you goto www.yahoo.com with IE6, you can see above the search bar tabs like "web" "images" "products". With Firebird, i do not have these "tabs".

you do realize that instead of the "tabs" there's a "pull down menu" after the space for your search query, right?

it says "Search in: *pulldown* Web / Images / Products"

open your eyes son.:)

I'm another of those who uses Opera for 99.99% of websites out there. The other .01% consists of .0075 for MozillaFirebird and the last .0025 is Internet Explorer. To explain how it ends up like this, I use Opera for everything I can, and usually when I run into websites that use those stupid non-compliant things (such as the recent complaints about the ms website, I think MSN) I usually just set Opera to identify as MSIE (F12 shortcut key for simplicity) instead of Opera, then I switch back when done because I feel that it's important that the websites see people are using browsers other than IE and Netscape. On the rare occasions that Opera identifying as IE doesn't work for the things that pure Opera doesn't work I first try MozillaFirebird which works in almost all the rest, then when that fails I go to IE. At this point, usually I only have to use IE when giving people instructions on how to fix one of it's many, erm, "features" that let people install virii on your pc...

BTW, USMC2Hard4U, what do you mean "Windows feel"? I mean, you do know you can change how all the other browsers besides IE look, right? Even Netscape supports skinning. However, if you are like me and prefer the simpler look, you can just choose a skin that's meant to look like a normal window. And I have no idea what you mean about a sideways hand. My browsers at least just uses the cursors built into windows.

well "sonny boy", its not that i don't know how to do a search.

I just said that it does not display it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just mearly showing some of the downfalls to firebird. Not saying i dont' know how to search on Yahoo, ^_^

Interesting. I just checked now with MozillaFirebird on my own PC and this browser (Opera) and I also don't see the buttons when using mozilla. Weird. Oh well, google rules anyway ^_^

Originally posted by towert7
well "sonny boy", its not that i don't know how to do a search.

I just said that it does not display it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just mearly showing some of the downfalls to firebird. Not saying i dont' know how to search on Yahoo, ^_^

point taken, true, Firebird does have a few pitfalls, though i like to claim it's the Website's fault, not Firebird's :D

Yea, your 100% right, website's fault. Now, thats a shame.... a companie SO HUGE, as yahoo........... and they don't even accomidate for non IE browsers.....

Oh well, in time it will change im sure :rolleyes:

I use Opera for most of my browsing. Sites that don't display properly in Opera, gets accessed with MyIE2. I really like MyIE2 because it still uses IE, so it can display any website. But it just doesn't have as many features as Opera.

I just downloaded mozilla and I like it a lot. The only problem I have with it is that my middle mouse button doesn't work. Does anyone know how to make it work?:confused: Also, I think that yahoo might just be optimized for IE6 instead of mozilla and that's why it doesn't display those tabs. Kinda like www.msn.com. Go to it using IE6 then use Mozilla and see the massive amount of differences obviously programed by microsoft to only appear on IE6.

I use Mozilla 1.6, the new 1.6 version has the firbird core for browsing and includes Chatzill for irc and Mozilla Mail, all which i use, on my second pc i got Firebird, thunderbird and Chatzilla, they work about the same in my opinion, some say Mozilla uses more ram then firebird but in my experiences thats not the case. Dont let your hate for Netscape and AOL steer you away from mozilla, all netscape really is the mozilla core crapped up with a bunch of useless bloat.

Originally posted by The Hockster
I just use IE6...haven't had too much of a reason to change.
do speed, stability, customization, and coolness count as reasons to change?

just give it a try, i'm sure you'll be amazed ;)

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
do speed, stability, customization, and coolness count as reasons to change?

just give it a try, i'm sure you'll be amazed ;)
Let us not forget that IE is the third most used virus delivery method attackers like.

Back