What do you use to browse the net??

I use Opera 99.9% -- Supperior product.

Fall back to Firebird when I want to "compartmentalize" something, or explore if a page is buggy.

Could have used Mozilla for everything, but I don't like the interface of Moz as much.

Originally posted by XOR != OR
Let us not forget that IE is the third most used virus delivery method attackers like.

I've noted that the line between spyware and virus has blurred considerably... and IE acts as a porous membrane between both and the user. Rather poor, huh?

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
do speed, stability, customization, and coolness count as reasons to change?

just give it a try, i'm sure you'll be amazed ;)

For me at least, IE runs faster than Firebird. Opera runs faster than those two. IE is also very stable (never crashes for me). Customization? Can you be more specific? It does what I need it to do, and every web site works. The only thing IE is lacking is the ability to resume downloads and tabbed windows which may be fixed with SP2.

Whatever is most convenient at the time. In order of most used to least:

- IE
- Firebird
- Mozilla
- Netscape
- Konquerer
- Lynx
- Something I made

I've got proxomitron sitting between the first couple and the net, plus I've got a brain between my left ear and right. Never had any problems with spyware, viruses, banners, pop-ups, exploits, worms etc.

If the next version of IE truly does have tabs, I'll wipe firebird from the list.

Firebird, can't wait for 0.8 should bring about more stability and a better more user friendly interface, with its download manager etc. I use IE as little as possible but if im forced to I will use it for the one page that wont work then back to firebird. I to have proxomitron iI can't pimp this freeware enough its just so damn good.

Originally posted by cuemasterfl
For me at least, IE runs faster than Firebird. Opera runs faster than those two. IE is also very stable (never crashes for me). Customization? Can you be more specific? It does what I need it to do, and every web site works. The only thing IE is lacking is the ability to resume downloads and tabbed windows which may be fixed with SP2.

well, as to running faster than IE...have you looked at www.mozilla.org and checked out the Tips and Tricks page? the pipelining + disabling the 250ms delay on web-page loading makes it CONSIDERABLY faster (this is the editing on the user.js file, which is not already made, so you'll have to make it, the page has good instructions)

as for Customization...there are literally hundreds of plugins (such as All-In-One Mouse Gestures) you can download for Firebird; as well as different skins so you can make the interface look however you desire.

don't forget the ability to go "carat" (sp?) browsing! what is this, you ask? well, carat browsing is where you can actually move your TEXT cursor through the webpage, it's kinda hard to explain (i think the hotkey is F7)

at any rate, there's a ton of things you can do in Firebird, to Firebird, and with Firebird, that IE just doesn't offer.

and sure, tabbed browsing could be fixed in SP2, but then again, so could virus vulnerabilities...yeah right

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
well, as to running faster than IE...have you looked at www.mozilla.org and checked out the Tips and Tricks page? the pipelining + disabling the 250ms delay on web-page loading makes it CONSIDERABLY faster (this is the editing on the user.js file, which is not already made, so you'll have to make it, the page has good instructions)

as for Customization...there are literally hundreds of plugins (such as All-In-One Mouse Gestures) you can download for Firebird; as well as different skins so you can make the interface look however you desire.

don't forget the ability to go "carat" (sp?) browsing! what is this, you ask? well, carat browsing is where you can actually move your TEXT cursor through the webpage, it's kinda hard to explain (i think the hotkey is F7)

at any rate, there's a ton of things you can do in Firebird, to Firebird, and with Firebird, that IE just doesn't offer.

and sure, tabbed browsing could be fixed in SP2, but then again, so could virus vulnerabilities...yeah right

Ok, I will definitely check out the tips and tricks page. If they work, and I do get Firebird to run faster than IE, then I will reconsider my stance on the program. :)

I don't care about mouse gestures, but I'll check out the other plugins too. Do you recommend any in particular?

Originally posted by cuemasterfl
Ok, I will definitely check out the tips and tricks page. If they work, and I do get Firebird to run faster than IE, then I will reconsider my stance on the program. :)

I don't care about mouse gestures, but I'll check out the other plugins too. Do you recommend any in particular?

i'm really glad that you've decided to try out Firebird; however, the only plugin i use / am familiar with is the "All-In-One Mouse Gestures" plugin :rolleyes:

so, if you're not gonna get mouse gestures, just take a look around the plugins section of www.mozilla.org, and anything that catches your fancy *BAM*. go and get it :D

post back with your results =]

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040124 Firebird/0.8.0+

Mozilla Firebird here (I normally run development/nightly builds of it :cool: ). I've been using Firebird since 0.4.0 and was using Mozilla before that.

Originally posted by Moparx
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040124 Firebird/0.8.0+

Firebird 0.8? That's not out yet is it?

Also, remember when Firebird was Phoenix? Yeah, that was a while ago, wasn't it. I didn't like it much then (too bizarre and new). What a difference a year makes, now it's my number 1 preferred browser. :D

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
Firebird 0.8? That's not out yet is it?

Also, remember when Firebird was Phoenix? Yeah, that was a while ago, wasn't it. I didn't like it much then (too bizarre and new). What a difference a year makes, now it's my number 1 preferred browser. :D

Its out as a development/nightly build only. There are still about two or so 'major' bugs to fix before its ready to be released to the public as a stable build.

I never really minded Phoenix, i liked it as it was smaller than my regular Moz client

Back