What do you think videogames will be like when we're all old?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
By old, I mean 65+. As amazing as games look now how do you imagine videogames will look like by the time we're officially senior citizens? Photo realistic graphics? Games that feel like living in a VR world? Something interesting to think about.

I dont, know alot of games seems to be taking a step back to the 4,8 and 16-bit route lately

KhLSBfLl.png

You mean .. Like when the PS5 and Xbox Two bring incremental updates in 15 years?

I dont, know alot of games seems to be taking a step back to the 4,8 and 16-bit route lately

and ppl wonder why PC gaming is meh. GFX aside that is. If i have to get excited about an AWESOME PC game that looks retro, then someone is doing it wrong on the platform.

I imagine it won't be too much different than today's games being that is only 10 more years for me.... :D

I'll be 65 in 2057 where upon they should have all the kinks of downloading your conscious worked out, and I will then have the athleticism and mind of my current young self as I am now in a robot.

It is relative. Games will hit a plateau.

holodeck I hope, but the world as a whole I think would look like a complete mind fuck to anyone of this time period currently.

Wonder if this question was ever asked on BBS forums or usenet way, way back when... and for them, perhaps here we are.

VR and surround sound gaming would be cool.

Considering how most AAA games these days are nothing but interactive movies, I have little hope for the popular ones 30 years from now. They will most likely be just holo-novels. Nothing wrong with that really.

I am actually looking forward to gaming where you control stuff with your brain. RTS games such as Starcraft will be amazing

The day we have a full working holodeck... well, you won't see me for a few weeks. as long as the door has a lock and there is no way to trace all the filthy things I conjure up in there.... life will be good. Also stocks of industrial cleaner companies will go through the roof lol.

I'm 32, so in 2047... who knows what games will be like. I'd hope they all have some neural interface would be pretty sweet.

I've had the thought too - imagine how fit and buff I'd be if we had Battlefield 4 in holodeck form. Sure the first few weeks you'd get your ass kicked physically, but it would be an absolute great way to get in shape and learn combat techniques.

I don't have much faith in future gaming considering the direction we've been going. Microtransactions and DLC everywhere. It's only going to get worse.

And think about development time. Games are already ridiculously complex, but if you multiply that by 2, 5, 10... I'm thinking game length will be sacrificed even further. And that's bad considering the average $60 game is what, like 8 hours long these days?

That's my cynical view on things. The glory days of having games with boatloads of FREE content (e.g. Unreal Tournament) are over.

But look on the bright side, we'll probably get to play HL3 by the time we're senior citizens.

The day we have a full working holodeck... well, you won't see me for a few weeks. as long as the door has a lock and there is no way to trace all the filthy things I conjure up in there.... life will be good. Also stocks of industrial cleaner companies will go through the roof lol.

I'm 32, so in 2047... who knows what games will be like. I'd hope they all have some neural interface would be pretty sweet.

I've had the thought too - imagine how fit and buff I'd be if we had Battlefield 4 in holodeck form. Sure the first few weeks you'd get your ass kicked physically, but it would be an absolute great way to get in shape and learn combat techniques.

Holodecks? Shit when kinect was announce people bitch about getting off the couch and move their legs or arms lol. Good luck with a holodeck

Some sort of VR/AR solution. Eventually some kind of dream simulation tech...it could even be some sort of some of criminal punishment where you serve 10 years in prison but it's only like 1 yr irl. There was a twilight zone episode like that.

Mostly the same as it is now with maybe better graphics and resolution. I don't see the traditional way of playing a video game ever going away.

But we need to tell our age!

I'm 32 and I say that when I'll be at this age, it will be photorealistic for some games and some other will be awsome cartoon or alike with super awesome graphics.

im assuming some sort of virtual reality, but like someone else stated, its hard to see that far ahead, im so used to gaming how its always been. pretty much why i never got into the kinect/move/wii.

30 Years from now Blizzard will announce that it is halting development on a new IP that was expected to be the next WOW.
Blizzard will announce the 25th expansion to WOW, Halls of Cheese, Carebear edition.

Photorealistic, chock full of ads, and dumbed down to the point where it'll basically be "click here to win!".

I'm gonna go ahead and be the contrarian here and say that I think games will be awesome. I think games are already getting interesting again as indie devs experiment with different formulae that bigger houses then put $$$ into. I think the future is bright, and I certainly think that some sort of VR will be the norm by the time I'm old.

Last edited:
By that time we should be on the verge of only using our brain to immerse ourselves into a game.

It'll be awesome as long as you don't build up too much hype... keeping some distance may help a ton... not saying to move to console or become "casual", but IMO the internet has ruined some of the magic surrounding games, because we are so quickly able to get the scoop so-to-speak, like living in a candy shoppe, you can lose interest in all that sweet and become a cranky lil' baby who needs some beddy-bye and a few months of pure mashed carrots to calm the nerves

then again, different strokes etc....

It'll be awesome as long as you don't build up too much hype... keeping some distance may help a ton... not saying to move to console or become "casual", but IMO the internet has ruined some of the magic surrounding games, because we are so quickly able to get the scoop so-to-speak, like living in a candy shoppe, you can lose interest in all that sweet and become a cranky lil' baby who needs some beddy-bye and a few months of pure mashed carrots to calm the nerves

then again, different strokes etc....

What does this have to do with videogames in the future?

Won't need em. The world will literally be like being in the world of STALKER by then.

Virtual reality will definitely be the platform. Not sure if they will have neural connection by the mid 2040's when I hit 65.

I think VR will both alleviate traffic congestion and the need to be collocated to work effectively. Both real estate, tourism/travel, will collapse as why go places when you can instantly go there in the virtual world. Why would you need a bigger house when you can escape your 1 room apartment by throwing a helmet on your head (or whatever the tech allows 30+ years from now.).

All shopping will be virtual and items will be drone delivered. People will go outside even less than today. I think VR games will mirror games in the real world a lot more. So think sports, etc. Hopefully the kill or be killed games will drop off some as the more realistic it becomes the more difficult it is for people to separate VR from R.

Back