What do you think of this flyer? Please give your opinions!

Trinic

One rule in poster making is always keep a half - 1inch border around the layout. Look at the other examples people have posted.

It will help it be more appealing.

Don't put a white outline around the type, that's a weak solution. Just design it right from the start. Please Yves, stop using Arial.

Please Yves, stop using Arial.

Arial is awesome. It's so plain, and standard. But you haven't qualified your statement with why it shouldn't be used, so it's kind of meaningless.
Perhaps you would like to post an image of your own showing how it should be done? It would help out.

I'm a good sport though, so here you are parkaboy, the final piece of trendwhoring:

computerrepair53cd.jpg

http://img35.echo.cx/img35/9193/computerrepair53cd.jpg

(It's just an idea for TheCoolGuy, not intended to be used exactly as is, in an ad.)

ps: None of the fonts are arial. Or Helvetica.

Arial is a cheap Microsoft knock-off. Mainly of Helvetica. If you're going for that look you should use Helvetica or Helvetica Neue. You have a lot more weight options with them as well. That said I don't think either is the right choice of typeface.

Is there a reason why you have your leading so tight that your acenders and decenders are crashing into the type above and below?

Don't say trendwhoring either, it's just really lame. What you are doing here isn't new, and it's not "trendwhore". If anything you're just ripping off the New Typography and International Typographic Style movements of the early-mid 20th century, and doing it poorly.

Check out some work by:
Laszlo Moholy-Nagy
Herbert Bayer
Jan Tschichold (his early work)
Emil Ruder
Josef Muller-Brockmann
Siegfried Odermatt

If I have time this week I'll do an example.

Don't take this wrong Yves, yours is the only one in this thread I can even stand to look at for more than 5 seconds. It's just still really bad.

The leading is so tight because I wasn't very concerned with legibility and liked the heavy block that the type became.

Yes, I know its not new. I call it trendwhoring as that's what Peach in page2 proclaimed it to be, so instead of being depressed by it, appropriated it.

My intention was imitating the style of the Typography Today book, which yes is New Typography. Got to start somewhere, right? You've called me on that, which I guess gives more weight to your opinion than anyone elses. Though we're yet to see your work which I'm hoping is amazing, as you've torn strips off mine, and everyone elses with this:

Don't take this wrong Yves, yours is the only one in this thread I can even stand to look at for more than 5 seconds. It's just still really bad.

I appreciate the honest feedback, and so far it's all been (justifiably) negative. You sound like a professional and as such would be in a unique position to tear the work apart, yet this also gives you the chance to temper the harsh truths with helpful feedback. Your criticism so far has just been like a subtle whack to the head with a brick. Maybe thats what was needed... but does tempering the negative with a small bit of advice on improving really take that much more effort to do?

First off, my work does not need to be amazing for me to know what I'm talking about and give a critique. However I believe my work adequate.

So let's start at the beginning. We need to set our parameters and goals for this project.

First, a flyer like this should probably work in black and white. Something that's easy to reproduce quickly and cheaply to post around on public message boards. Some of what has been posted have full bleed (printing right to the edge). Not that this can't be done, it's just more expensive. A logistical problem in the ones by Yves is how does the person pull the information tab off?

Who is the target audience here? Broke college students? Soccer moms? Elderly? Each of them has their own unique visual aesthetic and language. For example with the college students stressing the low price might be very important, possibly with a bit of humor.

So the parameters:

Paper size: 8.5 x 11
Color: Black & White Only
Bleed: Leave .25" around all artwork

The next thing to consider is what information is relevant, and what of that is most important. You need to come up with an informational hierarchy.

"Computer Repair" is probably very relevant. It's not memorable though. Just putting your name with it, something like Jason Penedo Computer Repair makes it more memorable. How to contact Jason should probably be 3rd. Then the details that nobody ever reads anyway are last.

I will try and post some examples tonight.

First off, my work does not need to be amazing for me to know what I'm talking about and give a critique.

Don't take this the wrong way, but while true to a limited extent, I'd propose that often it's quite a dissapointment when one's theory outdoes one's practice.

Anyone with a bit of knowledge can give a critique.

Sorry for not being around for so long. A friend of mine on another forum helped me out and we finally came up with a good looking one. Let me know what you all think.

computerflyer.jpg

Sorry, I got into this a little late, but oh well.

This one is much better. I know i'm nitpicking, but the black outside the line on the left of keyboard really bothers me. The main thing is, if you are going to be offering webdesign, you don't want a gmail account. If you want web traffic, you've first got to start by building a website for yourself. Your would-be clients are going to want to see what you are capable of before they decide to go with you. A gmail account would be fine if you are just doing computer repair, but for webdesign you should have [email protected] or whatever.

Trinic said:
Sorry for not being around for so long. A friend of mine on another forum helped me out and we finally came up with a good looking one. Let me know what you all think.

That's *much* better- very nice and crisp design. For what's it's worth- I like it much better.

Back