What do you think of the newly released classic consoles?

biggles

2[H]4U
SNES classic, NES classic, Playstation 1 classic. I think there are some unofficial ones for Genesis too.

The only one that looked appealing was SNES due to the inclusion of previously unreleased Star Fox 2.

I liked NES games all right but find the visuals to be too dated, not enough color.

Playstation 1 classic not interesting since 1st generation 3d graphics were not great.

NES/SNES classics are great, especially with you able to add more games. PS1 Classic is trash.

NES/SNES classics are great, especially with you able to add more games. PS1 Classic is trash.
They all trash. It play nostalgia and nothing more. If people actually cared about these games they would of already gotten them by other means. I bet most people might play them once or twice and never touch them again.

They're garbage.

I kept the game I cared about growing up.
I own a Retron 5 to play NES/SNES/Sega Genesis games
a PS3 for PS1, PS2, & PS3 games.
A PC for DOS & up to today.

My PS3 took a crap lately so if I feel like playing PS1 & 2 I could use emulators on my PC.

Haven't got that itch though.

The NES classic is awesome! Have games from pretty much every retro console thru the PS1 installed and, with BT dongles, am able to use my PS4 controllers with it.

I'm in complete agreement about the PSX classic. Not only are the games "meh" but the fact that they chose not to include the analog controllers is downright criminal IMO. The price is outrageous as well.

They all trash. It play nostalgia and nothing more. If people actually cared about these games they would of already gotten them by other means. I bet most people might play them once or twice and never touch them again.
I disagree. For one, the TV I have only has HDMI, another is you can add any games you want very easily.

They are cashgrabs nothing more. If they put effort in it and actually made the games render at higher resolution or higher fps it might be an OK thing, still wouldn't buy one. For the really old stuff we have emulators, the not so old stuff I'm not so interested to play.

NES and SNES classic are quite good. Very nice front end interface and decent list of games.

The PlayStation one hardware-wise is neat aside from the exclusion of analog DualShock but that list of games is pretty terrible. You’ve got stuff like Tekken 3 there but also include Battle Arena Toshinden? Toshinden was novel for being a polygonal fighting game but not much else out of that. Twisted Metal 1 instead of 2? I love Mr.Driller but is it what you’d consider on your list of PS classics? There are some very good games there but overall a very strange list.

The decision not to include a USB adapter is weird as hell. Yeah I know you’ve probably got a few extra around the house but $30 burner phones come with a USB adapter.

Also surprised no one has mentioned the Neo Geo classic thing which also appears to be trash.

neo geo and c64 mini seem to be the worst by far.

I wanted to like the NES one but there was noticable lag so it was big fat "NOPE" for me (my pi->crt setup kills it)

It'd be cool to see dreamcast classic do well following the upcoming Mega Drive Mini, but I'm not holding my breath on any of it being a huge success

n64/ps1 doesn't interest me, never liked that period in crappy 3d console gaming... (spoiled by quake and other pc games)

Well, Sony sure doesn't give two shits about quality of it:

https://www.destructoid.com/nine-games-on-the-playstation-classic-will-be-pal-versions-532726.phtml

With the PlayStation Classic coming out next week, Sony has unveiled a few more details about the miniature console. The game selection could be considered divisive, but the real problem is going to be playback on the machine. According to a recent PlayStation blog entry, the Classic will be utilizing the PAL releases of nine games in every region.

The following games will be using PAL versions:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Grand Theft Auto
Jumping Flash!
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

What....the....fuck!?!?!?!?

dont really care for outdated graphics. i like gameplay
I still play master of orion for dos which is only 256bit colors but the fameplay is still awesome and unique.

there a tons of nes games i would love to retry with the original feeling ( and possible exploits)

Couldn't care less about them personally. Emulation works better than ever and is more flexible. Even those clunky Wiis, Xboxes, and Raspberry Pis with 500 old games on them work surprisingly well.
They're neat if you're just hooking something up fast/easy for the kids, though.

Using the PAL version in an NTSC zone for a fighting game is an incredibly terrible thing to do. Hope you enjoy all your muscle memory not working with King because they decided to be boneheads!

dont really care for outdated graphics. i like gameplay
I still play master of orion for dos which is only 256bit colors but the fameplay is still awesome and unique.

there a tons of nes games i would love to retry with the original feeling ( and possible exploits)

Sprites aged much better than polygon graphics. Most SNES games look better than PS1 titles to me.

Sprites aged much better than polygon graphics. Most SNES games look better than PS1 titles to me.

its funny because there was a time between brigt pixel art spirte grafics and and good 3d graphcis that i hostnley thougs the same
liek the downscaled video looking graphics just looked blurry to me
and the many early 3d games looked ugly to me.

It's also a huge problem of rose tinted glasses. In the years since graphics and mechanics have only gotten so much better. Stuff like tank controls, UI elements, inventory management, higher fidelity so that textures just don't look like mud.

There's a simplicity to flat sprite-based games with knowing what you can and have to display.

If only the Neo Geo mini wasn't so subpar. I've got a lot of good memories of Neo Geo stuff and still love a lot of their games.

I was at Wal mart earlier and there were a bunch of PS classics and I saw a woman and here son probably 13 or 14 looking at it and the mother exclaimed how expensive it was and wasn't sure if she wanted to spend the money on it.

Normally I wouldn't say anything like if it was a mother getting an obviously bad game not knowing any better but I wanted to say something, one to help keep this piece of shit from selling and to genuinely help her make a better decision.

So our conversation went like this:

Me: Yeah, it's not a good product at all.
Mother: Oh, really?
Me: Yeah, it has a lot of problems. The controllers don't come with the sticks, it doesn't come with a proper power adapter, the games on the system are European not American and run really badly and have a bad selection of games.
Her: Oh, wow, I didn't know that, thanks.

At this point her son chimes in saying he really wanted to play some original Playstation games so I recommend they go to the local Vintage Stock and get a used PS3 as it plays PS1 games and you can buy many on the store. They thanked me and left.

I felt as if I did a good deed today:)

Would rather see these released on current gen consoles via a emulator wrapper... than some static hardware box that's stuck with a handful of selected titles.

Personal Opinion: I buy the classics for the game play licenses. I have NES and SNES classics

They are cheaper to get this way than hunting down legit carts, especially the NES ones because there were so many bootlegs back in the day.

If I ever get the PS classics, it will probably be the same: buy it to be able to play them on completely different devices.

Hardware wise, the Famicom Classic is by far the worse, since everything, including the controller, is shrunk down (to conform with the form factor), PS classic follows next because PSTV can do it better if you hack it.

EDIT: I am a collector, so if I were to hunt down a game, I hunt a legit one, because they give me the legitimacy of license to play. Bootlegs don't, and carts often have problems, so if my other option is bootleg, I would not buy it at all.

There weren't that many NES bootlegs back in the day. Maybe in China and Brazil, but not most places in the world.

There weren't that many NES bootlegs back in the day. Maybe in China and Brazil, but not most places in the world.

Taiwan too, which is where I reside.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if none of the Famicom games I played back in the day were bootlegged, hell the console itself could have been bootlegged, since I don't ever remember seeing any official Famicoms coming with turbo buttons, but my Famicom does. It's not controllers either, since famicom controllers are wired directly to the console, and isn't detachable like the NES were.

You got me, but I'd imagine it can't be any worse than pirating them completely.
Wants legit licenses to play games on another device so buys a classic system. I am pretty sure when you buy a classic you only get a license to play them on said device. Just pirate the damn games instead trying to justify some morale weird morale cose you have.

Uhhh yeah emulation is very funky. I'm not a lawyer but, from what I remember hearing, the courts in the US say that emulating a game is fine as long as the emulator is reverse engineered or you've dumped your own bios to use with an emulator. That was for the way back days where people were using the original discs in their emulators. I'm not sure about this whole idea of obtaining the license for the game.

While I'm sure people out there appreciate morality in some way I guarantee you the publishers and system creators do not want you emulating a single damn thing on your own. Yet, at the same time, not everything you want is available from them.

Wants legit licenses to play games on another device so buys a classic system. I am pretty sure when you buy a classic you only get a license to play them on said device. Just pirate the damn games instead trying to justify some morale weird morale cose you have.

Why did you think morals at anything to do with this, considering that my post didn't even have an ounce of the word?

I got the SNES classic and apart from the short cables, I love it. I just picked up 10' extensions from amazon.

Zelda: LTTP is worth the price alone. I'm going to dive into that classic and then play through BOTW for the first time.

Also with Super Metroid, Super Mario World.... very excited.

Played Contra 3, JC, that game is hard.

The OG controllers are one of the best things about the NES and SNES classic systems.

I got the SNES classic and apart from the short cables, I love it. I just picked up 10' extensions from amazon.

Zelda: LTTP is worth the price alone. I'm going to dive into that classic and then play through BOTW for the first time.

Also with Super Metroid, Super Mario World.... very excited.

Played Contra 3, JC, that game is hard.

The OG controllers are one of the best things about the NES and SNES classic systems.
Controllers are a good point because it seems all of the repro USB ones I've tried never get the D-pad right, and the feel of the ones for the Classic consoles are just right, so kudos to Nintendo on that front. It's just a shame input lag is so bad in some of the games.

Controllers are a good point because it seems all of the repro USB ones I've tried never get the D-pad right, and the feel of the ones for the Classic consoles are just right, so kudos to Nintendo on that front. It's just a shame input lag is so bad in some of the games.

In my experience, it's always been better to purchase an OEM Nintendo Controller and run it through a USB adapter, then mess around with the non-OEM ones.

Few quick pics of my setup at home: (got my USB 3.0 Hub with SNES, N64 and GC adapters all right under the lip of my desk)

20181101_211107.jpg 20181101_211122.jpg

The USB adapters were 15-20 bucks each, and same with the N64 and SNES, GC one was 40 when I got it (gotta say, nothing beats the feel of tight joysticks that haven't been Mario Party'd to death :D). Now the prices have skyrocketed since Melee got huge, but anyway...

Input lag is very minimal on the SNES and GC emulators, and in my experience the N64 emulators have been the most finicky controller-wise, I need to continue to play around with the plugin's I'm using, some are night and day better then others. I recall the N-Rage ones being the best in my experience.

Nothing beats pure analog though like the old systems were though, but you can certainly bring it to acceptable levels by screwing around with the plugins.

I got the SNES classic last year from Amazon treasure truck. Playing Super Mario World again with the controller brought back to my childhood. Nostalgia factor makes the experience for me.

I got the SNES classic last year from Amazon treasure truck. Playing Super Mario World again with the controller brought back to my childhood. Nostalgia factor makes the experience for me.

^^^

Playing on the original controllers gives me all that nostalgia good feelings.

Just got an SNES classic and especially after modding it, it's AWESOME! Unlike the PS Classic it already comes with an amazing selection of games (that actually run well) but being able to add new SNES games is awesome, got Turtles in Time, Aladdin, Final Fantasy IV V and retranslated VI. Not to mention GBA, NES, Genesis games.

Recently purchased a Playstation Classic from Target for $35. Haven't opened it yet due to the fact that their still working on the Retroarch / Bleemsync portion to mod it, once that is ironed out I plan on having a blast with it. Seems to be coming along nicely. So overall, my impression, great value for a hobby or to tinker with.

Back