What do you think of the Dell Mini 10?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Im starting to look for a birthday present for my wife, and she always complains about how slow her computer is (even though its not really, Dell Latitude D420). She only does web surfing, listening to music, etc. So I am looking at for a netbook. I am a hardcore Asus fan, but my new laptop has kind of sold me on Dell (Dell Studio XPS 13) and I love the look of the Mini 10.

Does anyone here have an experience with them? I have read some reviews, and they are $279 right now on the Dell Outlet so you really cant go wrong.

All the mini's are nice little machines for what they do best, email and web surfing.

The thing people seem to either love or hate are the keyboards on them, esp the 9's which is much smaller than normal.

My local Staples and Best Buy have the 9's for sale and usually a display model running that you could at least mess with for an idea.

I plan to snag a Mini 9 soon as a backup for when my main PC tanks. :D

it will be slower than a D420.

just reinstall a lite version of XP to the d420 and it'll FLY.

The HDD on the D420 is really slow. XP will definitely run better on it. The Mini may well feel snappier due to the better HDD.

I don't like the Mini 10 because the RAM can't be upgraded.

Last edited:
if you want to make a netbook 'feel' faster then you should invest in a decent ssd. Even a JMicron 602b based controller should be fine if not under XP. Just be sure to order a mini 10 with enough ram since it is not upgradeable. I highly doubt your gf will multi-task with a netbook to the point where the stuttering will come to effect. I know it doesn't for my fiancee's netbook.

I don't like the Mini 10 because the RAM can't be upgraded and the HDD is on a PATA interface.

SATA...(from Dell's site)

120GB5 SATA HDD 2.5 inch 5400RPM.
160GB5 SATA HDD 2.5 inch 5400RPM.

Back