What do you think of Doom3 now?

After being out for a little while now and since it is no longer shinny and new, how would you rate it today compared to when you first got it?

kinda boring really...

i guess i just havne't gotten far enough.

edit: I wasn't really all that impressed with the graphics either. I didn't find it any better than halo actually.

Repetitive. Waste of $50 I could have used on something better.

Gameplay is very classic old school, not the most exciting, but the scares more than make up for it. All around, I'd give it an 8/10.

Right now I am playing it just to finish it. I think i'd give it about a 6/10 due to all the damn imps hidding in a closet or crouching behind a door. WTF could they have come up with something a little more creative? When I first got it I would have given it an easy 9.

its crap i'd rather play unreal 2 again.

i'm still hopeing for a good multiplayer mod to come out and save the game.

I thought it was ok. It definetely had one of the best atmospheres of all the games I have played except for maybe system shock 2.

as far as gameplay, dead even or better than painkiller, at least theres a point. Graphic wise.. still top notch. Mod wise... who the fuck cares about hl2? You hardly even need a SDK to mod doom right now.

Heck I loved it, dont see how anyone can call doom boring and turn around and say they liked halo... lol. After I upgrade my comp im going to go through it again. Oh yeah, heres a question to those who dont like doom, what the heck are you playing right now?

I loved it when it first came out, and I like it even more now. When it first came out I thought it was a very polished, bug free game with lots of atmosphere, great sound, and jaw dropping graphics. Going through it again in a modified nightmare mode( stopped the health decrease and upped the absorb on my armor a bit) has been fun. The monsters are a lot tougher and it makes for more fun gameplay

i really enjoy doom 3. im playing it again the second time through and i still get the shit scared out of me. the story isnt novel quality but it was still good enough to make me want to see the ending. the graphics are awesome. far better than any other game ive played. far cry is still a runner up on graphics. the controls are excellent and the sound is amazing, especially while using a 5.1 speaker setup. only thing i could ask for would be different weapons. that far into the future and they still have a 60 round limitation to the clips? and it wouldve been awesome if those sentries had frikkin laser beans! wouldve been cool to see an Imp get cut in half and still try to crawl towards you and attack you. creepy! :eek: thats my opinion :D have a nice day

I still like it. I don't think it's the best game ever, but I still think it's fairly good. I guess the game would get really repetitive if you played it for hours and hours on end... but when I played it I'd play it for an hour or two and then take a break and come back to it later.

My main complaints with the game are awful AI, a lack of dramatic, edge of your seat battles, and being too easy.

Awful AI
The game's AI was atrocious. The enemies were flat out stupid. Now, the argument has been made that these are zombies and creatures for hell and so they should be stupid... wrong - that's making excuses. If the game had awesome AI that redefined gaming AI as we know it these same people would be bragging about it instead of making excuses.

A lack of dramatic, edge of your seat battles
Nowhere in the game are you confronted with a ton of monsters at once. Battles are usually 1 or 2 things at a time, and they usually form trains so you can just pick one off after another (i.e. spiders + flying babies). This leads to a lot of repetition (hence people complaining about boredom) and no memorable moments.

Too easy
This is the result of awful AI and simple battles. The game was just too damn easy. Any veteran FPS player should have no problem disposing of 1 or 2 things at a time, especially when they have hideous AI, no tactics, and have projectiles/leaps that are easy to dodge. Hell knights were a complete joke, they were nothing more than imps on steroids. Their attacks were so easy to dodge and they moved so slow you'd have to have aim worse than Doom III's AI in order to not kill one before it closes in on you. Imps went down fast and the only threat they ever posed was when they were in a monster closet or behind a door and leapt at you. The enemies without ranged attacks were just pathetic. Revenants weren't bad, but were wayyyy too slow. I don't even know if Archvilles can attack other than by summoning things, I disposed of them too quickly. Also, the bosses got SIGNIFICANTLY easier in the game as it went on. Fighting the cyberdemon was about as difficult as taking out an imp with a BFG or rocket launcher (actually, that's all it was...).

kinda funny knowing that the hardest boss for me was that spider queen demon. i dont remember the name but she was pretty easy for me and the hardest one to beat.

DirtyApe said:
kinda funny knowing that the hardest boss for me was that spider queen demon. i dont remember the name but she was pretty easy for me and the hardest one to beat.
Yeah, that boss was definitely the hardest and it wasn't that hard.

Scary. I'm still only ~25% into it... haven't had a chance to play it. But then again, I'm a wuss.

Hm... I think F.E.A.R. might compete against Doom for scary though :)

//edit: Ms. Spidy was the most difficult?! I just unloaded the chaingun on her and she was finished...

I liked Q3 better, even in SP. Doom is just kind of scary and very repetitive. I honestly don't know if I will even finish it. I hope some great mods come out in the next 6 months. I play games to have fun, not to be scared.

KevC said:
//edit: Ms. Spidy was the most difficult?! I just unloaded the chaingun on her and she was finished...
Yes, that's really about as hard as it gets.

Its not really the replay value of DOOM 3 that matters as much as the games that will be based off its engine. Quake 4, RTCW 2, and the new Soldier of Fortune are just a few that we will probably see within the next year.

DOOM 3's graphics are beyond anything thats released to date. The D3 engine itself is a total perfection as a result of many years, months, days, and hours put forth by the man John Carmack.

fun level was equal to unreal 2, doom 3 had some more impressive graphical moments. And overall was alittle better. (unreal 2 was horrible at first and got progressivly better)

Doom 3 stayed about teh same throughout the game (which gives it the appearance of worsening as you do get bored)

Eh, like most others have said the game was just boring. The only reason I finished it was just to see it end. IMO the graphics are not really that good, I would have rather them push the poly count up a bit and play at 1024x7 than see textures that look like they are drawn in mspaint.

loved the game, most fun since Halo PC or FarCry.

I don't know why people say doom 3 is boring, the game play is pretty similar to halo..

It was fun the first time through, but I have no real desire to play it again. I'd probably give it a 6/10. Gameplay-wise it was nothing special. Fun but nothing to write home about. Graphically it's pretty damn impressive, but there are little things that bug me. Like how even though it looks really good it kinda looks like everything is made of plastic. And the fact that all human characters' heads look to be sculpted from silly putty.

awesome 1st time around, absolutely no replay value at all.

I've been slugging through it a second time. Once you know where all the monsters pop out of, it gets pretty boring, and listening to the audio recordings to get the locker codes is just about unbearable a second time around.

Too bad they couldn't have implemented random mob spawns and key locations, or multiple paths to the end.

mjz_5 said:
loved the game, most fun since Halo PC or FarCry.

I don't know why people say doom 3 is boring, the game play is pretty similar to halo..

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot as well (I also enjoy Halo for xbox a lot :confused: )

oh well to each his own.

I didnt like it when it first came out and i still dont. I`m not even through with it. I make my self play it when i`m really bored just to justify the money i spent on it. The game was too dark to appreciate the graphics engine. The lighting was tight but thats it. It didnt like that you can only hold your flashlight or you weapon. That sucked. It reminded me of unreal 2 and i never finished that game because it got borng walking around shooting things. It was pretty but thats it. At least in unreal 2 you could appreciate the graphics.

I`d give it a 5/10.

Fanatik said:
I didnt like it when it first came out and i still dont. I`m not even through with it. I make my self play it when i`m really bored just to justify the money i spent on it. The game was too dark to appreciate the graphics engine. The lighting was tight but thats it. It didnt like that you can only hold your flashlight or you weapon. That sucked. It reminded me of unreal 2 and i never finished that game because it got borng walking around shooting things. It was pretty but thats it. At least in unreal 2 you could appreciate the graphics.

I`d give it a 5/10.

Try out the duct tape mod. Everyone who doesn't like the fact that you can't hold your flash light and a gun at the same time seem to like it.

I personally had no problem with the lighting and stuff, but again to each his own.

Every now and then a game comes along and gives the gaming industry a little nudge to the next level. Whether it is by improving graphics, sound, gameplay, immersion, or whatever. Some games that come to mind are Doom, the Quake series, System Shock 1 and 2, Half-Life, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty, Far Cry, etc.

Like the rest of these games, Doom 3 sets new standards, particularly in graphics and sound presentation. This is great for the industry and for us gamers. Yes, the gameplay is very straight forward and old-school, not bad mind you, just old-school, with nothing innovative about it. Still, the importance of Doom 3 is that it made a good dent in the gaming world and has now pushed the industry forward.

Bottom line, Doom 3 is not the greatest game in the world, but for me it was one heck of a ride and it reminded me why I love being a gamer. Above all, I respect it for taking us one step further to the future of gaming.

i enjoyed it while playing it, although it was really easy (veteran mode) and a little repetitive at times i really enjoyed the graphics, the gameplay is old school which i like, and i did end up jumping plenty and having to stop playing etc.

i'd give it an 8/10 i enjoyed it, and eventually i'll get back to reinstalling it

the game pretty much sucked. i give it a 6 out of 10. i cant really see the similarities to halo tho (except that neither plays the way id like on my pc).

my advice, play sims 2!!!!!!

The game was too dark to appreciate the graphics engine. The lighting was tight but thats it. It didnt like that you can only hold your flashlight or you weapon. That sucked
Well, that's the dilema of the game. In the year 2145 we must have forgotten to make weapons with lights, nightvision, a friggin' non submarine like base, decent wiring for the lights in the base, about 10 redundant power systems for the lights! Yup, we surely are stupid in the future. Then again, without all those retarded lights going out, the game would have been even more boring than it is now. The game should have been based in WW1 or WW2 era settings :p

I did like the game. Alot! The first time that is. I do look forward to many many more Doom3 engine based games in the future that will blow our minds but Farcry is a better game :) That reminds me, where the hell is that 1.2 patch. Crytek sucks alot more than id does. Doom3 is damn near bug free dammit.

/rant off

Still like it, am still playing it, and I still haven't beaten it yet. Unfortunately my video card has been crapping out lately so i ahven't been able to play it as much as I would like. I can't wait to play it again on my new system(when I get it) and really enjoy the graphics since right now I am limited to 800x600 medium quality 2X AA. That and there is great mod potential, I have already seen some awesome looking concept art for a star wars/jedi mod, as well as some others, that and some excellent maps are being created as well. If I was anygood at level design with levels editors, and had the time and determination I would try doing it some myself. If i actually had the talent I would like making a level/replica/MP map of the Event Horizon, since this game seems like it would be the perfect game for such a mod. Alas I am not so talented, so hopefully someone else will be able to make it as good as I could envision it. :p

So I still think it was well worth my $43.99 I paid for it at Fry's, the game was/is good, and also has great potential, I think more great things will come out of it as time goes on.

Its a great game but has no replay value. 60.00 bucks for 15hours of gameplay kinda blows

IxGOxSOLO said:
Still like it, am still playing it, and I still haven't beaten it yet. Unfortunately my video card has been crapping out lately so i ahven't been able to play it as much as I would like. I can't wait to play it again on my new system(when I get it) and really enjoy the graphics since right now I am limited to 800x600 medium quality 2X AA. That and there is great mod potential, I have already seen some awesome looking concept art for a star wars/jedi mod, as well as some others, that and some excellent maps are being created as well. If I was anygood at level design with levels editors, and had the time and determination I would try doing it some myself. If i actually had the talent I would like making a level/replica/MP map of the Event Horizon, since this game seems like it would be the perfect game for such a mod. Alas I am not so talented, so hopefully someone else will be able to make it as good as I could envision it. :p

So I still think it was well worth my $43.99 I paid for it at Fry's, the game was/is good, and also has great potential, I think more great things will come out of it as time goes on.

Oh Even Horizon. As in the movie? That was a pretty creepy move when I first saw it :p

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
Oh Even Horizon. As in the movie? That was a pretty creepy move when I first saw it :p
YES!!! I loved that flic. Anyway, back on topic...let's just say that I played about 2 hours of it and haven't played since. I'm waiting for the mods like D3F and so forth before I spend anymore time with it.

I'm so hoping they don't screw up D3F.

Back