What do you think Oblivion minimum specs will be?

mash

Limp Gawd
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is coming out in March. Based on the videos, the incredible detail, and the last installment, it will obviously require a nice rig. I'm ordering my first system soon, and Oblivion is one of the games I plan on playing.

With a $1000 rig, do you think I'd be able to run it well? I'd like to buy a new monitor, but I'll sacrifice that for a bit if it means being able to play Oblivion on full. By sacrificing the monitor, I'd be getting an AMD X2 3800+, and a eVGA 7800GT. Without, I'd probably get a Athlon 3500+ and 6800GS. I know the first rig will be able to run any game for at least a year, but what about the second? Should I stick with an old monitor so I don't have to upgrade parts later?

Hold off on the monitor.

I have been contemplating this as well. I have read the Oblivion forum and talk around the campfire is that 2GB RAM is essential to smooth operation. The 7800GT is a good choice for graphic heavy title like Oblivion. It would be a shame to downgrade your resolution on such a nice looking game if you chose to go with the 6800GS. Good choice with the 3800+. If you want concrete specifications, wait a couple of weeks after it launches as you will then get real world usage reports.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards. Hopefully I'll be able to get another gig of ram by then.

And another question. Since more and more games are releasing with 2GB of ram suggested, how long will it be before 3GB+ is the standard? Since I'm going to end up with no slots for ram left after my second gig, would it be better to switch to 1GB sticks sooner rather than later? Bah, this PC building takes too much thought :p

At this point it's really just speculation.
I would definitely get an x1800/7800 class card.
The developers did a poll back around August asking what video solution you'll be using
for Oblivion. In the poll, they labeled a 9800pro as medium and any of the newer x800/6x00 and up cards as "high end". Personally I think cards like 9800pro will be the minimum for an enjoyable experience. I pity the fool that trys to play with an FX5200 or 5700LE. There are sadly quite a few people on the official boards with comps like that.

I think the specs will break down like:

Min---------------------Recommended---------------------------Best (comparable to x360)

512mb-----------------1 gigabyte--------------------------------->1 gigabyte

1.5 ghz---------------------2.5 ghz--------------------------------3 ghz Intel, 2.0 ghz 64 bit AMD

sm 2.0 card--------------------X800/6x00----------------------------x1800/7800
9x00/FX5900

Really it all comes down to how good this engine is and how well they've optimized.
I'm hoping to run 1280x960 x2 AA X8 AFwith all the graphics options on high and get playable 30-40 fps average frames. I think if it's much worse than that, we have another MW fiasco on our hands. I remember a top of the line system when that game came out
got <20 fps at just 1024x768 no eye candy in some instances. (Balmora in the rain)

If they've put enough options in, probably even old cards like a 5800 will be playable, just with reduced graphics that won't have all the fancy shading.

An Xbox 2 is a lot cheaper. If you are only looking foward to that game, then you might go the cheaper route.

Nah, I'm building for FPS online games mostly, and maybe an MMO. The elder scrolls series, fable, and MMOs are the only RPGs I really need to keep me sane. The rest of my time will go to new FPS games, and "oldies" like half life 2 and CSS.

I was considering a 360, but the game lineup is sad right now. Oblivion is the only thing that intrests me coming out for it, I find the release games average at best. Maybe once it drops in price and gets a solid game lineup, but PC has so many games that I've never even been able to play. I need to make up for the past two years of having a celeron laptop ;)

mash said:
Nah, I'm building for FPS online games mostly, and maybe an MMO. The elder scrolls series, fable, and MMOs are the only RPGs I really need to keep me sane. The rest of my time will go to new FPS games, and "oldies" like half life 2 and CSS.

I was considering a 360, but the game lineup is sad right now. Oblivion is the only thing that intrests me coming out for it, I find the release games average at best. Maybe once it drops in price and gets a solid game lineup, but PC has so many games that I've never even been able to play. I need to make up for the past two years of having a celeron laptop ;)
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm making my next pc for FEAR MP and Huxley, whenever that comes out. :rolleyes: I'm waiting for the new cards to come out and the current gen to drop in price. Also, definitely think about getting an X-Fi, maybe one of the PhysX cards, unless ATI integrates that into their card.

I am wondering if they will have dual-core optimizations in the PC code. All the life simulation, physics, and AI going on at once is going to put a huge strain on the CPU.

Hopefully the devs have made Oblivion much more efficient than Morrowind. That games still chugs with a 7800GTX/2 Gigs/AMD 64 3700+. Okay, I have to admit I have a ton of mods that mess everything up but the Morrowind engine still has issues.

As for the 360 version I will play that first while I wait for some good mods to come out for the PC.

Minimum spcecs means 5fps with all setting on "crap" @ 640 x 480. I think it'll probably be:
CPU: 2.0GHz P4 or equivalent, faster reccomended
VIDEO: Nvida FX 5200 or ATI Radeon 9250, Radeon 9700 or FX 5800 or greater reccomended
RAM: 256 required, 512 MB reccomended

MH Knights said:
I am wondering if they will have dual-core optimizations in the PC code. All the life simulation, physics, and AI going on at once is going to put a huge strain on the CPU.

Well, 'Morrowind' itself was heavily multi-threaded, as is the XBox360 (which 'Oblivion' was developed for), so I can't imagine why it WOULDN'T take advantage of that on the PC.

you could just wait till say february to find out what the requirements will be (I'm sure we'll know by then) and then order your system. Who knows, things will probably be cheaper by then as well.

I'm a regular on the official forums, so I guess you could say I'm kinda in the know.

-Oblivion will support dual core optimizations for PCs(as with xbox360)
-Xbox360 and PC versions will be capable of the same graphics detail, but you'll need a very nice PC to run it at highest detail with a decent framerate.
-Xbox360 will never go below 30 FPS.

Bethesda will constantly make new content for download on both PC and Xbox360. For instance they are planning on adding Horse armor and Holidays. some addons may require $.

Obi_Kwiet said:
Minimum spcecs means 5fps with all setting on "crap" @ 640 x 480. I think it'll probably be:
CPU: 2.0GHz P4 or equivalent, faster reccomended
VIDEO: Nvida FX 5200 or ATI Radeon 9250, Radeon 9700 or FX 5800 or greater reccomended
RAM: 256 required, 512 MB reccomended

This isnt Halflife2 :p

Back