What do you think died?

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
Well I think it is my mobo or perhaps mobo/ps combo... but here is the drill.

System started behaving oddly. Would not recognize a sound card on-board or otherwise with different driver revisions. So I say... lets rebuild this probably have something corrupt right?

So I reboot and go about rebuilding selecting drivers and everything and no matter what driver I choose now it will not recognise the on-board raid controller... well it will but on reboot it either blue-screen locks or insta blue-screen reboot depending on drivers selected.

So I ponder this for a while and then reload again this time not using the on-board raid controller a la gigabyte. I now use the on-board intel SATA 2 controller. I have to use the second bank because the first bank will not recognise any drives at all.

The second bank recognises the drive but for some reason is seeing the drives as less and less space. Both drivers are 340 gig drives. SATA II. Perpendicular write drives.

Also the system runs very hot.

When I do the install though even with only one of the drives connected it will get to the last stage even do a successful reboot. But it will never finish finishing the installation.

Odd eh?

Any ideas? I am looking at mobo and or power supply.

Potentially memory I suppose. But I want to get the power supply replaced regardless just because it is running too hot for my tastes.

Considering it only started when you started messing with software- it's probably where the problem lies.

Have you tried a system restore or something to get everything back to how it was prior?

What about removing the RAID card and running w/ minimal hardware- does everything still run OK?

Just doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me.

As recommended above, try a barebones setup...break it all down, start with just your mobo, cpu/hsf, one stick of ram and power. Once your sure it's posting ok, add one component at a time until you find the culprit...although it really sounds like your sound card may actually be the issue, if I'm reading your post correctly, things started acting funny when your sound card quit working....

The first step, however, should be booting a live cd (I use Knoppix) and see how it runs. If it won't boot from a live cd, odds are really good you have a hardware issue.... and I think you do based on your comment regarding heat.

Yea I pulled the sblive and reenabled the onboard sound for the gigabyte mobo.

Still the same problem. It seems like the drives, both of them, say they are loosing space. Strange no?

I will do one more drive flip flip to be sure.

And I ran a memory test to no avail.

Right now I am running dvd rom drive, both sticks of ram (that test good.), one HDD, one video card. Everything else onboard.

Edited two instances of dvdrom listed when only one is present.

If I had an operating system... it isn't like I am just getting a lot of data on the drive. It is as if the available image space for the drives is decreasing. Odd no?

Back