What do you have: SLI, Crossfire or single card solution?

What do you have: SLI, Crossfire or single card solution?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra

2[H]4U
I got qurious
So I am doing a poll to get the [H]ard numbers!
(open to prevent "cheating")

Terra - There is a hidden point to this thread also ;)

I have a 9800 Pro 128MB, and I am going to keep it until it doesn't work anymore... it plays Steam games at high but with no aa/af.... but it still looks and runs great.

Late 2008/Early 2009, I'm getting a whole new PC.

Dual cards here, just waiting for g80 (or r600?) before I upgrade again.

I know there has to be some ATI folks on this board? :eek: *L*

Terra...

I have dual ATIs in a box, but they don't run crossfire. I have a 7800GT SLI rig with a Quadro 3450 SLI rig on the way.

Currently got the 6800xt (agp) because my 5950ultra crapped out when I messed it up cleaning the dust out of it. (bent the card too much getting that stupid plastic cover off, lol) But, my next rig, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I know I'm going with an SLI mobo, but unsure of which card(s) I'll be putting in. Maybe a single 7950gx2 if they are cheap enough by time I get around to building, and then upgrade to quad-SLI later.

Single here all the way

never saw the benefits of having dual GPU's to play games with, since a single is almost more then enough for me, i've never had a problem affording high end rigs and i just can not convince myself that i need to have dual platform

i have had one before, but that was with the X1600's which i later sold once i was done having fun with them, was thinking i might go dual with R600's/G80's when they come out if there was really a killer app out that i'd like to run at max benefit, then i thought about it and realized it would be the same situation that it is now, so no i'm not planning on going dual with my next rig either

I have my single 6800 Ultra AGP here that I am trying to sell. As soon as it does then my vote would change to onboard....

Trimlock said:
Single here all the way

never saw the benefits of having dual GPU's to play games with, since a single is almost more then enough for me, i've never had a problem affording high end rigs and i just can not convince myself that i need to have dual platform
I couldn't agree more. I'd rather spend the cash on 1 good gfx board then get 2 decent ones. Besides, with talk of dual core GPUs and such, it really makes the SLI/Crossfire stuff look unneccessary unless of course you're going to spend a pretty fat wad of cash on getting this stuff better than everyone else.

Terra said:
I got qurious
So I am doing a poll to get the [H]ard numbers!
(open to prevent "cheating")

Terra - There is a hidden point to this thread also ;)

Is this hidden point to prove to Kyle that a large percentage of us have multi-gpu rigs?
If so shame on you. I liked the Conroe review.

mentok1982 said:
Is this hidden point to prove to Kyle that a large percentage of us have multi-gpu rigs?

Not, actually the opposite ;)
The percentage so far show that Kyle/Brent was right ;)

Terra - I liked the review too ;)

eVGA 7600GT x2 - I'm pretty happy with them so far, just waiting for better drivers.

mentok1982 said:

Larger surveys(like steam's) show that very few people have muli card rigs.

There's nothing to prove.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Multi-GPU Systems (5494 of 711282 Total Users (0.77% of Total) )

I still chuckle when I look at the crossfire install base.

99 people. out of 711282 Total Users have crossfire. LOL :p :D

foofighter06 said:
Larger surveys(like steam's) show that very few people have muli card rigs.

There's nothing to prove.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

I still chuckle when I look at the crossfire install base.

99 people. out of 711282 Total Users have crossfire. LOL :p :D

Multi-GPU Systems (5494 of 711282 Total Users (0.77% of Total)

Thats not .77 its .0077 which is less then 1% ;)

Single card, but SLI ready ;)

Have an SLI capable MB and I'll add a second card later down the road when the performance is needed. Currently I've got all the performance I need.

I have a single X1800, but I'm in a position to make one quick purchase and have Crossfire. I imagine if I can find a good deal I'll have CF soon.

Terra said:
Not, actually the opposite ;)
The percentage so far show that Kyle/Brent was right ;)

Terra - I liked the review too ;)

Yeah, but what about the close to 30 percent of us that do have SLI, don't you think we'd like to know the difference a new CPU can bring to the table? Don't we like to upgrade?

I did like the review, I would have liked it to be less one dimensional though...

ND40oz said:
Yeah, but what about the close to 30 percent of us that do have SLI, don't you think we'd like to know the difference a new CPU can bring to the table? Don't we like to upgrade?

I haven't read the review yet, but I doubt you would see a serious change in most games, unless they are severely CPU limited. In other apps, especially transcoding, etc, there should be a huge improvement.

For the record, I have a single Radeon 9500pro, and I am still happy with it, does everything I want it to do. I am going to have to dump it for my next rig though because there are no Conroe mobos with AGP support, and I want something that can run a 30" LCD at full resolution.

ND40oz said:

I did like the review, I would have liked it to be less one dimensional though...

Perhaps you should wait untill the make an Crossfire/SLI review.
AFAIK it's in the works...

Terra - So it was 30%(actual number is lower i suspect) that has been making all this noise? :eek:

I would say that SLI and CF is only worthy if you are going to game at 1600x1200 or higher.

Terra said:
Perhaps you should wait untill the make an Crossfire/SLI review.
AFAIK it's in the works...

Terra - So it was 30%(actual number is lower i suspect) that has been making all this noise? :eek:

The good thing is I don't have to wait, Anandtech did a very good review with a crossfire setup showing the benefits of conroe when you aren't GPU limited. I would like to see a [H]ard review with a multi gpu setup because I like they way they do the video card reviews here.

I have a Geforce 5600 128 mb. I'm going to get a new pc soon with conroe so maybe late 2008 i may go crossfire with my soon to be pc

What about those of us who have more than one? I picked Quad-SLI but I do have 7900GTX SLI, 7800GTX SLI, 6800Ultra SLI, a single 7950, and a single 7900GTX.

ND40oz said:

Maybe they got tired of all the reviews sayin things like "Intel finally set to smash AMD in performance stakes" (Hexus), and "Core 2 Duo Knocks Out Athlon 64" (Toms Hardware). I know core 2 Duo is faster, but comment like the ones previously mentioned would tick some1 who likes amd off.

When SLI can deliver 2x the performance for the same 2x price tag, then I'll consider it. However it's usually more like 25% more performance or less, and it costs twice as much.

And really, it's only beneficial to do with the very high end cards, since a 7600GT SLI setup is slower than a single card 7900GT, and more expensive, especially when you take into consideration the cost of the motherboard.

I mean, more power to someone if they can afford it but I can't justify throwing money away like that, and really the difference in eye candy isn't THAT huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back