What do you guys use to clean your LCD Monitors?

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong...but I'm getting some streaks on my LCD monitor...I only use a clean microfiber cloth that I lightly damp with water....then slowly go back and forth on the panel. I also make sure my monitor isn't warm/hot

The thing is, the streaks aren't visible when the monitor is turned on...its only visible when I turn off the monitor and shine my room light directly onto the panel...is this normal?

If you're using tap water that isn't particularly pure, it's possible that it is leaving a very light residue. Try distilled water instead, which can be found for cheap in most grocery stores.

I keep a bag of clean, old, cotton socks. For me, they work much better than microfiber cloth. Lightly damp one side of the sock with distilled water and slide it over your hand. I use a swing arm lamp shining on the glass at a steep angle. If you get the angle just right, everything on the LCD glass shows up well. Use light pressure on the LCD glass. Spot clean where needed, then back and forth followed by up and down. Repeat as needed. When it looks pretty good except for a few light streaks, rotate the sock on your hand to a dry area and wipe off the streaks.

Don't worry about lint or dust from the cotton sock. Old socks don't put out much lint, and after an hour of use, the monitor will already have collected much more dust than the sock leaves behind.

I keep a bag of clean, old, cotton socks. For me, they work much better than microfiber cloth. Lightly damp one side of the sock with distilled water and slide it over your hand. I use a swing arm lamp shining on the glass at a steep angle. If you get the angle just right, everything on the LCD glass shows up well. Use light pressure on the LCD glass. Spot clean where needed, then back and forth followed by up and down. Repeat as needed. When it looks pretty good except for a few light streaks, rotate the sock on your hand to a dry area and wipe off the streaks.

Don't worry about lint or dust from the cotton sock. Old socks don't put out much lint, and after an hour of use, the monitor will already have collected much more dust than the sock leaves behind.

So you are using used socks? except they are washed & cleaned? fruit of the loom, or haynes? lol

The thing is...I don't notice any of the smear or streaks left behind by my method above...this is with the monitor on and I'm doing tasks...but with the monitor off, and I look at the panel at a certain angle with my shop light on....the streaks/smears will be very apparent....now if I were able to get those streaks off, there could be a possibility I might see a difference when the monitor is turned on...and I just don't see it now because I've been running with a dirty/streaky screen the whole time...haha

70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Thats it. I tried the distilled water method but it leaves spots. With the alcohol --no spots. :D

70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Thats it. I tried the distilled water method but it leaves spots. With the alcohol --no spots. :D

do you really recommend 70% isopropyl? just straight up or 50/50 with disstilled?

also what kind of product do you use to wipe on and wipe off?

First I try to remove as much dust on the screen as possible using a spray of compressed air. I use a hand-operated Giottos blower typically found in camera cleaner packs. This reduces risk of scratching the surface when I wipe the screen.

Then I really just use plain water on some microfiber cloth to clean. Or sometimes I use Q-Tips to clean small spots.

I've read that diluted isopropyl alcohol is safe but I just can't risk it. My monitors have not gotten that dirty to warrant such a move. My usage environment is also dark enough that if there are streaks I can see only when I shine a bright light on it I leave it. No point risking damage when I can't even notice them when using them normally.

I use Oakley Lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth.. I highly recommend anything that is used to clean optics on monitors. The Oakley lens cleaner comes in a metal refillable spray canister that is refillable for life for free (provided you have an Oakley store near you.) Well worth the investment.

I used to use isopropyl alcohol, but I stopped as it can damage coatings on monitors.

do you really recommend 70% isopropyl? just straight up or 50/50 with disstilled?

also what kind of product do you use to wipe on and wipe off?

I use 70% iso to clean everything --well almost. But Ive cleaned probably 10 or so LCD/LED displays with it with no ill effects.
As for the material I use to clean it. Well I've used all sorts of things. Old socks ( the inside) to lint free terry cloth towels to camera lens microfiber to soft paper towel. They all have their good and bad points. Obviously paper leaves little paper globs, anthing other than lint free or camera lens mcro leaves lint. Some terry cloth.towels are too rough etc.
Basically anything that is super soft. As another member mentioned, blowing ooff the surface before wiping is a great idea. Basically treat it like the nicest gloss black paint finsh youve ever seen. Where even touchng it with ypur bare finger can scratch t.

First I try to remove as much dust on the screen as possible using a spray of compressed air. I use a hand-operated Giottos blower typically found in camera cleaner packs. This reduces risk of scratching the surface when I wipe the screen.

Then I really just use plain water on some microfiber cloth to clean. Or sometimes I use Q-Tips to clean small spots.

I've read that diluted isopropyl alcohol is safe but I just can't risk it. My monitors have not gotten that dirty to warrant such a move. My usage environment is also dark enough that if there are streaks I can see only when I shine a bright light on it I leave it. No point risking damage when I can't even notice them when using them normally.

ahh yes. I forgot to mention that I do use a datavac to blow off excess dust before I go in and wipe...so for sure my streaking/smears are not due to excess dust being re wiped onto the monitor

I use water and a paper towel usually. Or the occasional, "what's that?" *Licks Finger* "It's gone.... now there's a trail left behind..."

Isopropyl Alcohol is commonly found as rubbing alcohol in the grocery store, usually in a 70% isopropyl alcohol 30% distilled water mix; there is no need to dilute it when it comes that way. Some stores may sell 100% isopropyl alcohol which should be diluted. Something about the 70/30 mix causes the alcohol to evaporate away in the most efficient manner, so it's better to do that than a 50/50 mix.

Isopropyl alcohol should be used only when distilled water won't do the job, because repeated applications can eventually damage more delicate finishes.

Solutions that eyeglasses stores sell to clean glasses should certainly be safe for monitors, for finishes on glasses can be even more delicate. They are a good place to find the microfiber cloths which really are the best material for the job.

Windex and other ammonia-based cleaners should never be used; they WILL ruin your monitor, staining the finish a yellow color that can't ever be removed.

Isopropyl Alcohol is commonly found as rubbing alcohol in the grocery store, usually in a 70% isopropyl alcohol 30% distilled water mix; there is no need to dilute it when it comes that way. Some stores may sell 100% isopropyl alcohol which should be diluted. Something about the 70/30 mix causes the alcohol to evaporate away in the most efficient manner, so it's better to do that than a 50/50 mix.

Isopropyl alcohol should be used only when distilled water won't do the job, because repeated applications can eventually damage more delicate finishes.

Solutions that eyeglasses stores sell to clean glasses should certainly be safe for monitors, for finishes on glasses can be even more delicate. They are a good place to find the microfiber cloths which really are the best material for the job.

Windex and other ammonia-based cleaners should never be used; they WILL ruin your monitor, staining the finish a yellow color that can't ever be removed.

I have a bottle of 91% isopropyl from wal mart...I use it for my CPU heat sink...I also saw a 70% version when I was at walmart...so this 70% version is already diluted with 30% distilled water? And you would recommend keeping it at 70/30 instead of diluting it even further at 50/50?

I have a bottle of 91% isopropyl from wal mart...I use it for my CPU heat sink...I also saw a 70% version when I was at walmart...so this 70% version is already diluted with 30% distilled water? And you would recommend keeping it at 70/30 instead of diluting it even further at 50/50?

I found the really good answer here:

"Alcohols work by denaturing cellular proteins and dissolving some cellular lipids. Since proteins denature more quickly in the presence of water, and water is needed for alcohol to cross the cell wall, alcohols are most effective below 90% concentration. Above 90% concentration, alcohol will only dehydrate the cell wall without entering the cell and denaturing its proteins."

When you're using isopropyl alcohol to clean monitor screens and CPU heat sinks, your main goal is to remove fingerprints - which are skin cells and proteins. As for 50/50 vs 70/30, the 70/30 will evaporate faster, meaning less time to do any possible damage.

I was at walmart earlier and saw a bottle of 50% isopropyl...I picked it up cuz it was only 80 cents

I like the results...its not 100% perfect...as I can still see some streaking when I shine my shop light near it...but nowhere near what it was yesterday

thanks for the link evilsofa...I'm thinking of trying 70% later....do you think its a good idea to have a fan blowing behind me? Just so I can get that slight breeze to catch and evaporate the alcohol quicker? Overall, I'm happy with the 50% isopropyl...I didn't dilute any of it since I assume its 50/50 already from the bottle

Usually I just wipe gently with a dry microfiber cloth since I never touch my monitors thus there are never fingerprints to clean, just dust. Do you guys regularly touch your monitors?

I do eat at my desk a lot so occasionally there will be some residue on the screen so then I use distiller water. I've never needed more than that.

Usually I just wipe gently with a dry microfiber cloth since I never touch my monitors thus there are never fingerprints to clean, just dust. Do you guys regularly touch your monitors?

I do eat at my desk a lot so occasionally there will be some residue on the screen so then I use distiller water. I've never needed more than that.

My daughter (not yet 2) regularly touches and "spits" on my screen.

Normally use a clean damp cloth with screen off, to get the thick mess off, and then "polish" with a microfiber cloth. Works well.

I have a NEC 20WGX2 for reference (glossy coating).

I heard from a guy that used to work at the LCD factory that they clean the screen with 80% ethanol before they pack monitors.

I've checked with the guy again and he said the one that used at the factory was 95-100% ethanol, which you need a permit to buy them. So he suggested to use 80% ethanol with a cloth and wipe the screen sideways.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong...but I'm getting some streaks on my LCD monitor...I only use a clean microfiber cloth that I lightly damp with water....then slowly go back and forth on the panel. I also make sure my monitor isn't warm/hot

The thing is, the streaks aren't visible when the monitor is turned on...its only visible when I turn off the monitor and shine my room light directly onto the panel...is this normal?

I clean my monitor after I leave it off overnight. When I come back from work I usually clean it before I turn it on.

I use:

*Flamesuite on*

Windex and some paper towel. I've been doing it for years and not a single monitor has lost its AG coating.

*Jumps out of this thread*

Endust makes some wipes made for plasma and LCD's. I usually pick up a tube of them for $4 at Big Lots. Works like a charm.

I use the microfiber cloth that came with the old Antec P182SE. I've been using it for more than 3yrs now.

Go 2 a drugstore & get 93% isopropyl alcohol & a bottle of distilled water for ur clothes iron. Make a mix of 50/50 mix of water & alcohol in a spray bottle & dampen a soft cloth wash rag. Wipe ur monitor, lcd tv, phone, whatever, it won't damage ur screens & cleans streak free. Been using that formula for years with no problems. You're welcome & Happy New Year, Yeah. :D

Go 2 a drugstore & get 93% isopropyl alcohol & a bottle of distilled water for ur clothes iron. Make a mix of 50/50 mix of water & alcohol in a spray bottle & dampen a soft cloth wash rag. Wipe ur monitor, lcd tv, phone, whatever, it won't damage ur screens & cleans streak free. Been using that formula for years with no problems. You're welcome & Happy New Year, Yeah. :D

would you say 70% isopropyl and using it straight from the bottle is cool too?

I have used this for the past several years. The Rosewill cleaner works real well on any lcd or plasma screen. Newegg carries it all the time for low money. It also helps keep the dust away.

For a quick dust, a microfiber cloth is best.

would you say 70% isopropyl and using it straight from the bottle is cool too?

I've only used it with 93% so I don't know. I also bought a little $1 spray bottle & make small batches of the mix which I pour down the drain when done, just to keep the mix the same. Maybe I'm being anal but I try to keep that mix, in case of evaporation, whatever. And use a soft wash cloth or dish rag, if it feels rough on your skin, I'm not using it on my screens. I never tried microfibre so I don't know how well it holds the solution when sprayed onto it.

I second the lens cleaning solution, safest option and it works well.

I've checked with the guy again and he said the one that used at the factory was 95-100% ethanol, which you need a permit to buy them. So he suggested to use 80% ethanol with a cloth and wipe the screen sideways.

You sure about that? Ethanol is almost universally never recommended to clean LCD screens. Maybe he was referring to isopropanol? Maybe methanol? It's easy to confuse the alcohols if you are not familiar with the chemical terms.

I've actually used methanol to clean my screens too, I actually find it works the best (excellent oil removal and no streaks/residue) but is more toxic and harder to find.

P.S. it's easy to buy 95% ethanol. It's called Everclear :). Greater than 95% is more rare since you cannot distill ethanol to greater than 95% purity by common methods. Undenatured ethanol is the stuff that's harder to buy, since you can drink it, so it does require a permit or an alcohol license to sell. Denatured ethanol is what you usually find in the hardware store.

The easiest, cheapest and least toxic and harmful alcohol to use is rubbing alcohol which is around 80 cents a bottle in the grocery store. I wouldn't mess around with the stuff you guys are talking about.

I use eyeglass cleaner and towels from Lens Crafters.

Serves a dual purpose for my entire family.

Disposable screen wipes. Cheap* and they work well.

* Not if you follow the recommend usage of 3-4 times per WEEK. I use them once maybe twice a month and they last ages.

Distilled water on soft paper towel to clean, then microfiber lens cloth to dry.

Back