what do you guys use for 'heat shrink' on cables ?

nightwalker

2[H]4U
im about to do a bunch of stuff and have all of the sleeving but then i realise ive never used heat shrink before lol. i know you're suppose to use a heat gun but there must be a more ghetto way of doing it......

you can dry a hair dryer or use a lighter with quick passes under the flame. but you can get really cheap heatguns that work fine for like 30 bucks at Home depot or Lowes

Harbor Freight, heat gun for 6 bucks on sale, 12 or 13 bucks normal, its worth it.

thanks both of you :)

i will probably use a lighter for tomorrow, but will order a gun from harbor freight as theyre only like 15 bux for next weeks stuff.

Another thing, you don't happen to have one of those small butane powered soldering guns do you? Most of them you can take the tip off and work great on heat shrink, though I do find a full blown heat gun much nicer.

Another thing, you don't happen to have one of those small butane powered soldering guns do you? Most of them you can take the tip off and work great on heat shrink, though I do find a full blown heat gun much nicer.

i only have a regular soldering iron, but i think it would be too hot to use, maybe i'll experiment just for the hell of it lol

Rub your palms together quickly and then hold the shrink tubing tightly in your warm palms..

I've always used a lighter, but it didn't work on the heat shrink that came with my Nexus 120 mm fans.

I use a lighter... Usually melt a bit of the fan housing plastic...

Got a Black and Decker heat gun at Sears on sale for $25 = Best thing ever for case modding with heat shrink. Even heat is the best and the heatshrink looks so much better. In fact, gotta post my case soon! :eek:

Im thinking of cutting the extra foot of wire that Silverstone decided to add on my 2nd PCIe 6 pin connector that is connected in series to the 1st connector, cut and resolder the wires for around 3-5" length only and i intend to cover the affected area with heatshrink would the cables stay flexible enough ?

Back