What do you guys think of this case?

Nuitari

n00b
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-142&depa=1

I looked it over, and I think it looks pretty damn nice. I don't wanna spend a fortune on a HTPC case, and when I seen this came with their True series PSU, I was pretty much sold. The only problem is the placement of the HDD rack, which I've got a solution for. Since I only plan on using 1 HDD and 1 optical drive anyways, I figured I'd take out the HDD rack, and put it in one of these...

http://www.xoxide.com/vavohadrcosy.html

What do you think?

I also plan on cutting a fan size hole and putting a filter over that area, right above where the HSF should be. Good? Bad? Opinions please.

many users have experienced problems with heat. I know I had som major heat building up in the overture review I did but it didnt cause any immediate problems. Long term it could be a big problem. Cutting a hole above the cpu could do it too. I would reccomend saving up a little more and go for a better case if you can. Unless you plan to have cooler comonents then by all means go for it

nintari said:
many users have experienced problems with heat. I know I had som major heat building up in the overture review I did but it didnt cause any immediate problems. Long term it could be a big problem. Cutting a hole above the cpu could do it too. I would reccomend saving up a little more and go for a better case if you can. Unless you plan to have cooler comonents then by all means go for it

Yeah I read about the heat problems too. Thats why I was considering cutting a 92 or 120mm opening above the HSF, and possibly running a duct of sorts from the HSF area out the back of the 92mm exhaust fan.

Force, I absolutely love that case, but it's a miniATX, and I want an ATX case. I looked at the Silverstone ones, but the only cooling those have are 1 40mm rear exhaust fan, and the PSU. Thats it. I'd have to mod fans into it, and if I have to mod fans into it, I might as well get the Overture and mod some more into that right? I mean, the difference in price is $30 or so plus the cost of a PSU.

I am going with a Silverstone LC03 when the times comes. IT has a 60mm fan in the back and IIRC you can put an 80mm intake on the bottom up front. Takes a full sized ATX mobo and should be decent with a stock P4 2.4Ghz proc in it.

I would just go with the antec and mod a 92mm into it. I mean this is [H]ard after all.

I was in the same boat as you when i purchased my Antec Overture. The 380W True PSU sold me since i didn't have an extra "reliable" PSU laying around. It's actually a really nice case, and i have read all the issues about heat but have never experienced any. I'm running a P4 1.7 in my HTPC. Runs nice and cool for me, even in the current summer heat :cool: .

Now, if i had to do it again, i would DEFINATLY fork over the extra cash and purchase the Silverstone case because it fits in with AV equipment better has more of a "quality" look to it. The Overture (in my personal opinion) sort of looks out of place with my AV equipment and even a little cheezy.

Workstation2.jpg

It definatly does the job though, and is over all a good value since it comes with a nice PSU.

How about this one

A little pricey now, but when you can get it without the vfd and the remote it should drop considerably.

It is full-atx, has an 80 mm exhaust, and a properly oriented power supply bay.

Actually Coolermaster has the new cavalier HTPC case availible. It supports Full sized ATX boards too! The case doesnt look too bad and the cooling looks to be better than the overture. We hope to have a review of it soon up at htpcnews.com

I have an overture case sitting in the closet, I dyed the whole face black to match all my components (didn't like the silver) and put an LCD in one of the drive bays. It turned out to be just a little too long and hung out the front of my rack a little too much to make me yank it out. It's pretty solid, but you will have some heat issues, the PS fan isn't to powerful and it actually an intake fan and not an exhaust fan.

Now it's sitting in the closet after I picked up an Aria case for my HTPC.

Ahanix has said that they are making a new version of their Dvine 5 case that uses full atx PSUs (it already takes full size boards), kind of pricy but it is one of the better cases out there and (personally) this is what I've been waiting for.

I've got an overture and they do run a little warm.. I just put a blower in one of the PCI slots and it dropped the CPU and MB temp by a couple of degrees... although still not that great considering what it was running at in a normal atx upright case. I usuallyl average mid 40's idle and high 40s under load... I'm using an XP2500 (non mobile), no overclocked with a 9000pro AIW. I never have any studder or problems with the system acting up over heat (no reboots for the last month)but the system does run hotter according to MBM in this case... however a fan over the cpu would help I'm sure when it comes to temp but if you wanna keep the beautiful shiny case unblemished I'd look into some quite PCI slot blowers.. it helps keep the airflow much better.... the PSU is nice but it is in the front blowing hot air in your case which I think was a bad idea... I saw one guy modded that to blow the opposite direction and the temps in his case lowered several degrees... although it took a little work opening up the PSU section... either way it makes a smooth looking case and looks good with my Onkyo 6.1 surround sound :p... the revo 7.1 has made and excellent sound card and movies, video files, music, etc... have sounded great... good luck with your build

nintari said:
Actually Coolermaster has the new cavalier HTPC case availible. It supports Full sized ATX boards too! The case doesnt look too bad and the cooling looks to be better than the overture. We hope to have a review of it soon up at htpcnews.com

Thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU for mentioning that lineup! I just looked on their site and that case looks to kick some serious ass! Very nice looking, full ATX support, and a 120mm Exhaust fan make me really want that case! :D

FrozenCPU is selling them now. Some are in stock, though at least one of them is out of stock.

Thats pretty cool although I have noticed that Frozen's prices are kind of on the high side, I'm assuming that it takes a standard PSU?

I'm hoping so. That would make me shy away from it if it didn't run a standard PSU. If it does, I'll throw me a modular PSU in there to cut back on all the extra wires running around in there. :D

nintari said:

The heat issue is because of a major error. The 2 fans both point in the same direction. I believe when I got mine they were both blowing out. This left the intake air to be pulled in thru the hot PSU. I also installed a 120mm fan right over the CPU. Looks pretty sweet cuz its a blue LED fan, so it casts blue out of the case and matches the power button. I left the hard drive cage inplace, and have no room issues. Overall I'd say the case is great, the paint job on seems to be of great quality, doesnt chip easily. I think they could have done away with the ugly floppy bays though. :eek:

Specs:
Soyo SY-K7VME mATX Motherboard 266/333 AGP 8x
XP 2500+ 333FSB
512MB PC2700
ATI AIW 9600
80GB WD 7200RPM HD w/ 8mb buffer
Chaintech AV-710 w/ Optical Out
Samsung 16x DVD

Jiffylush said:
How about this one

A little pricey now, but when you can get it without the vfd and the remote it should drop considerably.

It is full-atx, has an 80 mm exhaust, and a properly oriented power supply bay.

Do you know of anywhere that you can pick up one of those cases. I really like it a lot, but didn't find anything but review after a quick google search. The Arisetec web site is under contruction as well too. Do you know how much they sell for as well? Thanks

Back