What do you guys think of the PSP?

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Don't feel like quoting all of Terpfen, cause he said it all already :) Thats exactly what I meant, I was referring more to the portable market but thats the general idea. I'm not saying psp won't have ports, but didn't they release four swords on gamecube? They ported the gba game to gamecube. Not to mention the fact that the game was on original game boy before that. Oh, and before that, on SNES. Its the same damn engine, gah!

Oh and one more thing- go check Ign.com's review page, they have less than half the psp launch titles reviewed and 5 are already above 8.0. DS doesn't even have that many yet.

What? You haven't even played Four Swords, have you.

It's in no way based on the GB game. It has 3D graphics, sheesh!

There was no "GBA game" of Four Swords...there was a demo of it included on the Link to the Past cartridge for GBA. The actual game was the GameCube one.

The DS is going to have a game based on the ideas in Four Swords, but not a port.

Hate_Bot said:
You know why? Sony sends them crap for free, they give them news and info about there products, for free.

IGN Is one of the most highly Sony-biased sights on the web. You cant trust any review sights. Especially if it's first party stuff (made by like Microsoft, nintendo etc..) cuz if they did, they would lose all the free info and news they get.

Definitely. It's sad.

Matt in the GameCube section is cool, and has some very good points about the DS even though he's in the GC section, while Craig running the DS section is always making "PSP rules DS sucks" comments :rolleyes:

Hate_Bot said:
You know why? Sony sends them crap for free, they give them news and info about there products, for free.

IGN Is one of the most highly Sony-biased sights on the web. You cant trust any review sights. Especially if it's first party stuff (made by like Microsoft, nintendo etc..) cuz if they did, they would lose all the free info and news they get.

IGN isn't really Bias in my opinion... rather they accept bribes from anyone, lol. Look how they hype Xbox titles constantly, they say anything as long as they get the money to back it.

Gamespot is my favorite review site, its alot harder to get a high score from them.

Peoples,

I have both the DS and the PSP and I have to say,

DS : Astheticly a tragedy. Games, well, Mario is a PORT (it is, with a bit extra added), Wario, well, thats kinda a port (I know, you can touch it) but its basically more minigames. Ridge racers on the DS is poor, no other realistic racing games (for example)....the hopefulls mentioned above...Castlevania, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon etc etc....well, they are ports as well (or at least in the context the DS people have called the PSP software ports)

PSP : Fckin gorgeous. Games, well, I have ridge racers, minna no golf and lumines....so far, ridge racers looks freakin awesome but gameplay is so so, minna no golf is full of japanese (the american one will of course not be) but its pretty fun (and pretty) and lumines, well, thats awesome fun and gorgeous....but the sound.....the umb lets them do nice, very nice music, which adds ALOT to the whole experience.....and from what I have seen with my battery times, seems like so far devs are caching that nicely.

DS does get better battery, but for when I use it (60-90 min a day on the tram) both are fine

DS and PSP BOTH seem to have release schedules full of "same 'ole" games, you get the DS for your marios, zeldas etc, you get the PSP for your gran turismos, devil may crys, wipeouts etc.

Both are fun, both have their place and it really goes down to what you are more comfortable with....

me, I am being more seduced by the PSP....

Kristo said:
Games, well, Mario is a PORT (it is, with a bit extra added), Wario, well, thats kinda a port (I know, you can touch it) but its basically more minigames. Ridge racers on the DS is poor, no other realistic racing games (for example)....the hopefulls mentioned above...Castlevania, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon etc etc....well, they are ports as well (or at least in the context the DS people have called the PSP software ports)

You have no idea what a port is, do you?
You seem to call sequels ports.
Wario Ware is in NO WAY a port.
Ridge Racer is a port, but when you say no other racing games, you're skipping Asphault Urban GT, which has way better graphics.

Castlevania, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon...these are sequels, not port.

There are only three DS ports coming out in all of 2005, Rayman, Mario, and Ridge Racers.

Praxis said:
What? You haven't even played Four Swords, have you.

It's in no way based on the GB game. It has 3D graphics, sheesh!

There was no "GBA game" of Four Swords...there was a demo of it included on the Link to the Past cartridge for GBA. The actual game was the GameCube one.

The DS is going to have a game based on the ideas in Four Swords, but not a port.

There is indeed a port of Four Swords for GBA:

http://www.zeldaguide.com/zeldagba.htm

inotocracy said:
There is indeed a port of Four Swords for GBA:

http://www.zeldaguide.com/zeldagba.htm

My gosh, did you even read the post you quoted? I said there was a Four Swords demo on the A Link to the Past cartridge. You just sent me a link to the "A Link to the Past" cartridge with the Four Swords demo on it. Thanks for validating my point :rolleyes:

The full version of Four Swords, on the GC, had 3d graphics and full levels and let you control multiple characters with one- the GBA game there is a multiplayer minigame in addition to the single player A Link to the Past. NOT a port.

CreamySoupUSA said:
Actually it was a full game, just a different one than the Gamecube version.

Either way, they were not the same game.

Did the four swords for GBA support single player?

Four Swords single player was Link to the Past, basically. Four Swords was the multiplayer, I think. Regardless, the point was that the games are almost identical gameplay wise, whether the engine was very different or not. Link to the Past has been reincarnated on GB, GBC, GBA, and Gamecube. Yes, its a great game, and the levels and such are different, but knocking the PSP cause it has the same franchises and calling them ports while saying nintendo is completely orginial is quite a double standard.

Whats the problem with ports? Hell I am still hoping that many 16-Bit Genesis and SNES games come to the GBA and hell I wouldnt mind some early PS titles like WarHawk or FF7 and some other top RPG's coming to the PSP. I would think many would want ports of classics coming back because many games now cant hold a candle to most titles of the past.

LiquidX said:
Whats the problem with ports? Hell I am still hoping that many 16-Bit Genesis and SNES games come to the GBA and hell I wouldnt mind some early PS titles like WarHawk or FF7 and some other top RPG's coming to the PSP. I would think many would want ports of classics coming back because many games now cant hold a candle to most titles of the past.

yummy, FF on the PSP
/drool

Praxis said:
You're right in the distant past for Link's Awakening and the two oracles, although the engine was revamped since Link's Awakening didn't even have color. And those are VERY old, GameBoy Color.

They're still legitimate entries into the series, and still available for purchase.

As for Majora's Mask, that was hated for being a recycle of Zelda: OoT. So not even Nintendo is immune.

Majora's Mask was hated because it sucked. An OoT recycle is what everyone wants. Either way, it fits your criteria so I listed it.

Zelda 1 and 2 were completely different- 2 was side scrolling, even!

Where did I say Zelda 1 and 2 are similar? They're as different as you can get on the NES.

I'm fairly certain these are different.

They're pretty damn similar when you start playing.

Uh, the Metroid NES game IS Metroid 1.

Which was my point exactly.

NOT the same engine. Definitely not.

Of course it's not the same engine--the DS can't achieve Gamecube level graphics. Hunters still plays exactly like Metroid Prime, though.

StarFox 64 totally rocked. They just screwed up the new ones. If they could make a new game that resembles 64, it could be good...Just please, no more on foot levels!

StarFox 64 was where the series' problems began, when the game became a multi-vehicle shooter. The Landmaster Tank was a nice idea, but ultimately the game would've been more fun if we could've strafed targets from the air instead of going around in a tank.

Please, just let StarFox die already...

Terpfen said:
Where did I say Zelda 1 and 2 are similar? They're as different as you can get on the NES.

Sorry, thought thats what you were talking about

They're pretty damn similar when you start playing.

Similar in gameplay, but different engines, different graphics, and almost no reused material.

Which was my point exactly.

Huh? There is no distinction. The game was called "Metroid". Metroid 1 and Metroid NES? These are the same games. Not ports- the same thing.

Of course it's not the same engine--the DS can't achieve Gamecube level graphics. Hunters still plays exactly like Metroid Prime, though.

Not really. No lock on, you use the touch screen, and from what I've played in the demo, it's stage based instead of one giant free-roaming world.

That's really different.

While there are a couple games that use the same engines (Metroid Prime 1/2, the three old GBC GameBoy Zelda games, and Majora's Mask), MOST Nintendo games are original. That's why we like them. And with the exception of MP2 (Hey, why revamp a game that gets 9.8 out of 10 on a usually Sony-biased site like IGN?), the games that use the same material almost always end up the worst selling in Nintendo's history.

I was objecting to the original posters' claim that Nintendo reuses the same stuff all the time, but Nintendo fans ignore this and apply a double standard.

They may do it once in a while (every company does when they make a big, big hit), but it's very rare.

And nobody complains when companies reuse something good. Nobody complains about Gran Turismo 4. Nobody complains about Jak III.

Now, if Gran Turismo 6 was still the same engine you'd see serious complaining ;)

My point is; Nintendo may keep the same names, but most of the time the games are different.

you know, i could have responded with a well thought out and inteligent statement giving absolute proof to prove my hypothesis, but......sombody would have found something wrong with it anyway so the well thought response is pretty much = psp>ds = my penis is bigger than your penis, so you see all inteligent arguments are useless and there is no point in spending the time and energy in to a response.(actually im starting to feel that the 2 devices are quiet equal, but then again arguing is much more fun) so i>inteligent :D

Perhaps Praxis, but at least he isn't faulting a company for something and praising another for doing that very same thing.

You've been going on an on about how new features, slightly varied gameplay mechanics, and upgraded engines exclude DS games from being labeled ports...yet you fail to realize that every PSP game that shares its name with the consoles possesses those traits.

WickedAngel said:
Perhaps Praxis, but at least he isn't faulting a company for something and praising another for doing that very same thing.

You've been going on an on about how new features, slightly varied gameplay mechanics, and upgraded engines exclude DS games from being labeled ports...yet you fail to realize that every PSP game that shares its name with the consoles possesses those traits.

Er, what?

I wonder if you have perhaps skipped my post entirely. We were arguing about OLDER NINTENDO GAMES, and I was NOT talking about games with the same engine not being ports. I was pointing out that with the exception of the GBC Zelda games, MP2, and Majora's Mask, every Nintendo game has used a different engine.

I didn't say anything about the DS.

You want to talk about the DS? Okay, I'll talk about the DS.

There are THREE PORTS for the DS. Mario 64 DS, Rayman DS (coming out soon), and Ridge Racer.

There are no other ports for the DS. NONE. None of them use any recycled material (with the exception of Yoshi's Touch & Go which uses sprites from Yoshi's Island but COMPLETELY different gameplay). None of them use the same game engine as any other games.

PSP? You've got a ton of games with the same engine and recycled material.

Hate_Bot said:
Except for the games...

Is the PSP a fully fledged MP3 Player? can you play MP3 format, or do you have to convert to Atrac or whatever the crappy propriety Sony thing is.

Do you have to buy the movies? Say I have a DVD I have put an iso image on my computer (for backup) can I put this into (in whatever way) a PSP?

iPSP : for your multimedia needs
a nifty 3rd party app.

LiquidX said:
hell I wouldnt mind some early PS titles like WarHawk or FF7 and some other top RPG's coming to the PSP.

OMG, brings back memories. I first played Warhawk when it was on a demo disc that came with the PS. Had to buy the game soon after..........I <3 swarm missiles!!!!

that CDW price is 6 dollars less than the price the had up there last week....

btw, the DS isnt that great. most of there "good games" won't even be out til late this year. at least the PSP has games coming down the pipe - April releases, May releases, etc....and of great games too. that touch screen is really, really innovative :rolleyes: plus, these games will take a little longer than a couple of hours to beat (ie: WarioWare). i can hardly wait, my PSP bundle is going to arrive in less than 24 hours from ebgames.com - overnight shipping, no waiting in line....delivered straight to work :D

Praxis said:
There are THREE PORTS for the DS. Mario 64 DS, Rayman DS (coming out soon), and Ridge Racer.

There are no other ports for the DS. NONE. None of them use any recycled material (with the exception of Yoshi's Touch & Go which uses sprites from Yoshi's Island but COMPLETELY different gameplay). None of them use the same game engine as any other games.

PSP? You've got a ton of games with the same engine and recycled material.

Yes, you only have three ports...and a ton of generic (You would call them "original") games to make the third-party lineup diverse.

By the way, care to enlighten in regards to the "ton" of PSP games with the exact same engines and recycled materials of their console counterparts? There are some; not a "ton". Regardless, I would rather have a good game that is recycled than a piece of shit "original" title that feels like it was developed within a month.

carrot said:

Please. Don't get me started. Check out the people who ripped that article apart on Slashdot.

He gets everything right on the PSP front, but not the DS. He seems to compare what the PSP will have to what the DS has.

For example, in the final comparison, he gets up there and makes these whacky statements in the Value column. He says the PSP lineup for the future looks good, but the DS's current lineup sucks, so the PSP is greater. Eh? Why are you comparing the upcoming PSP games to the existing DS games?

And how can you chalk up the PSP as a win for the VALUE column???

He says the PSP's price will go down, so he's comparing the DS's current price to the PSP's price in ONE YEAR.

He completely ignores the fact that DS games are almost half the price.

Look, those articles get it right on the PSP but completely screw up reporting on the DS.

And he claims it has less than N64 graphics- LOL. Play Mario 64 and look at the difference from the original.

WickedAngel said:
Yes, you only have three ports...and a ton of generic (You would call them "original") games to make the third-party lineup diverse.

What do you mean "generic"? Look at the lineup. The launch games suck and are full of generic puzzlers but the upcoming ones are almost all unique sequels to existing games.

By the way, care to enlighten in regards to the "ton" of PSP games with the exact same engines and recycled materials of their console counterparts? There are some; not a "ton". Regardless, I would rather have a good game that is recycled than a piece of shit "original" title that feels like it was developed within a month.

Ape Escape (direct port), Metal Gear Acid (different gameplay but every single thing in the game is recycled), NFL Street 2, NFSU, Ridge Racer, THUG2, Tiger Woods, Spider-Man 2 (recycled material from the console game but took out all the good stuff like free roaming).

----

Fact is, the DS has a very nice games lineup, and coupled with the cheap price, makes it a very attractive offering.

I'm not paying for the PSP until it cost less than I paid for my console. Then I'll probably get one. But the DS is a perfectly good option until then, and there's no big advantage to the PSP other than the graphics, and enough disadvantages to turn me off until they are corrected (I never charge my systems and play them till they are out, so the battery is a big deal, and I'm very stingy about price).

Praxis said:
Please. Don't get me started. Check out the people who ripped that article apart on Slashdot.

He gets everything right on the PSP front, but not the DS. He seems to compare what the PSP will have to what the DS has.

For example, in the final comparison, he gets up there and makes these whacky statements in the Value column. He says the PSP lineup for the future looks good, but the DS's current lineup sucks, so the PSP is greater. Eh? Why are you comparing the upcoming PSP games to the existing DS games?

And how can you chalk up the PSP as a win for the VALUE column???

He says the PSP's price will go down, so he's comparing the DS's current price to the PSP's price in ONE YEAR.

He completely ignores the fact that DS games are almost half the price.

Look, those articles get it right on the PSP but completely screw up reporting on the DS.

And he claims it has less than N64 graphics- LOL. Play Mario 64 and look at the difference from the original.

i believe he also mentions that these two devices arent supposed to be competing against each other....in fact, it is like comparing apples to oranges. yet people will try to compare them anyway. and for $250, what you are getting with the PSP is VALUE. you could buy a seperate movie player, a seperate mp3 player, and a seperate portable gaming machine...its going to cost more than the PSP, and theres more equip to haul around. sure, if i wanted a less powerful gaming system w/ rehashed/childrens games, id buy the ds. the psp is more attractive/powerful than the ds on every front. i dont know how many reviews ive read on the psp and the ds.....but its pretty clear that the psp is much better. the people that dont are in denial, imao. regardless if the ds has N64 graphics or not, its a less powerful gaming system than the PSP. ds games may be half the price, but a lot of them can be completed in a few hours (ie: WarioWare). I'd rather play games like GTA and Gran Turismo in quality 3D (on a hanheld at least) than crap games on the ds in semi-3D.

hey, if you like the ds hey, thats great. but i bet a lot of ds owners are wishing they could buy a psp - if they havent already.

maybe you should re-read those articles a little more closely.

lets not forget the main thing here.....PSP>DS. end of story.

Frankly, no one gives a rat's ass about how many games there are for a system. It depends on how many there are worth playing.
I scanned over the PSP list and OMG, a lot of the games sound like something from a college programing class.
SCOOTER Madness? WTF?!

MeanieMan said:
Frankly, no one gives a rat's ass about how many games there are for a system. It depends on how many there are worth playing.
I scanned over the PSP list and OMG, a lot of the games sound like something from a college programing class.
SCOOTER Madness? WTF?!

touche....but, determining what games are worth playing is a very subjective matter. maybe there are people out there who love Scooter Madness and would buy a PSP to play it. either way, imo....there are plenty of games that are worth playing on the PSP. more than for the ds...either released or not released yet.

carrot said:
i believe he also mentions that these two devices arent supposed to be competing against each other....in fact, it is like comparing apples to oranges. yet people will try to compare them anyway. and for $250, what you are getting with the PSP is VALUE. you could buy a seperate movie player, a seperate mp3 player, and a seperate portable gaming machine...its going to cost more than the PSP, and theres more equip to haul around.

This is idiotic reasoning. The PSP is a sucky media center- for the price of getting a PSP capable of functioning as an MP3 player, you could have bought an MP3 player AND a portable DVD player, with a WAY bigger screen and capable of playing real DVD's.

A seperate MP3 player is CHEAPER; compare the cost of the iPod Shuffle and the insane prices on Memory Stick Duos. The memory stick costs as much if not more as the iPod Shuffle of equivilant capacity, except the PSP is much bulkier and costs as much as a real portable DVD player with a way bigger screen.

PSP = for games, not media. The media capabilities are not good enough.
sure, if i wanted a less powerful gaming system w/ rehashed/childrens games, id buy the ds. the psp is more attractive/powerful than the ds on every front. i dont know how many reviews ive read on the psp and the ds.....but its pretty clear that the psp is much better. the people that dont are in denial, imao. regardless if the ds has N64 graphics or not, its a less powerful gaming system than the PSP. ds games may be half the price, but a lot of them can be completed in a few hours (ie: WarioWare). I'd rather play games like GTA and Gran Turismo in quality 3D (on a hanheld at least) than crap games on the ds in semi-3D.

hey, if you like the ds hey, thats great. but i bet a lot of ds owners are wishing they could buy a psp - if they havent already.

maybe you should re-read those articles a little more closely.

lets not forget the main thing here.....PSP>DS. end of story.

You know what? Your post isn't worth the response. You make every Sony fan-boy response and even make a few up.

"Nintendo games are for little kids! Wah wah wah!!!"
"Nintendo games are short!" (where did this come from? Play Mario 64, Metroid Prime, or any Zelda game sometimes)
"Nintendo players are in denial, in my not-so-humble opinion!"
"DS games are crap!"
"The PSP is a good media center!"
"All DS owners want a PSP!"

Dude. I'm not going to even bother debating you, because you obviously don't have a reasonable debate in mind- your entire post is one complete Sony fan-boy anti-Nintendo rant.

carrot said:
more than for the ds...either released or not released yet.

And having read over the list, THIS is what I disagree with. You state it as a fact, whereas it is completely your opinion. Which games one finds more fun is up to them. Me, I look at the DS games and can pick out well over a dozen (perhaps two dozen) titles I want to play. I don't get the same thing when I look through the PSP list.

Praxis said:
This is idiotic reasoning. The PSP is a sucky media center- for the price of getting a PSP capable of functioning as an MP3 player, you could have bought an MP3 player AND a portable DVD player, with a WAY bigger screen and capable of playing real DVD's.

A seperate MP3 player is CHEAPER; compare the cost of the iPod Shuffle and the insane prices on Memory Stick Duos. The memory stick costs as much if not more as the iPod Shuffle of equivilant capacity, except the PSP is much bulkier and costs as much as a real portable DVD player with a way bigger screen.

PSP = for games, not media. The media capabilities are not good enough.

You know what? Your post isn't worth the response. You make every Sony fan-boy response and even make a few up.

"Nintendo games are for little kids! Wah wah wah!!!"
"Nintendo games are short!" (where did this come from? Play Mario 64, Metroid Prime, or any Zelda game sometimes)
"Nintendo players are in denial, in my not-so-humble opinion!"
"DS games are crap!"
"The PSP is a good media center!"
"All DS owners want a PSP!"

Dude. I'm not going to even bother debating you, because you obviously don't have a reasonable debate in mind- your entire post is one complete Sony fan-boy anti-Nintendo rant.

that would make you the inverse of me then. im not a sony !!!!!!...i just happen to like the psp a lot! so, call me a PSP !!!!!!. and have fun carrying around your mobile dvd player, your mp3 player, and your ds.

i can watch dvds, play vids and listen to music on my tv, computer, stereo, etc at home. the whole point is to have something to take with you on the road....thus MOBILE. the psp is the first device to actually combine 3 things into one device. sure, it isnt perfect, but it is better than anything out there right now. i like nintendo as well, just not there mobile devices. i still have my N64 - and i loved that (i still play bond multiplayer on it every so often). and i didnt say nintendo games were short...i said that DS GAMES ARE SHORT.....

Back