What do you guys think of the PSP?

carrot said:
that would make you the inverse of me then. im not a sony !!!!!!...i just happen to like the psp a lot! so, call me a PSP !!!!!!. and have fun carrying around your mobile dvd player, your mp3 player, and your ds.

i can watch dvds, play vids and listen to music on my tv, computer, stereo, etc at home. the whole point is to have something to take with you on the road....thus MOBILE. the psp is the first device to actually combine 3 things into one device. sure, it isnt perfect, but it is better than anything out there right now. i like nintendo as well, just not there mobile devices. i still have my N64 - and i loved that (i still play bond multiplayer on it every so often). and i didnt say nintendo games were short...i said that DS GAMES ARE SHORT.....

Fanb0y is censored here, and honestly...you are acting like an idiot.

Praxis said:
This is idiotic reasoning. The PSP is a sucky media center- for the price of getting a PSP capable of functioning as an MP3 player, you could have bought an MP3 player AND a portable DVD player, with a WAY bigger screen and capable of playing real DVD's.

A seperate MP3 player is CHEAPER; compare the cost of the iPod Shuffle and the insane prices on Memory Stick Duos. The memory stick costs as much if not more as the iPod Shuffle of equivilant capacity, except the PSP is much bulkier and costs as much as a real portable DVD player with a way bigger screen.

PSP = for games, not media. The media capabilities are not good enough.

You know what? Your post isn't worth the response. You make every Sony fan-boy response and even make a few up.

"Nintendo games are for little kids! Wah wah wah!!!"
"Nintendo games are short!" (where did this come from? Play Mario 64, Metroid Prime, or any Zelda game sometimes)
"Nintendo players are in denial, in my not-so-humble opinion!"
"DS games are crap!"
"The PSP is a good media center!"
"All DS owners want a PSP!"

Dude. I'm not going to even bother debating you, because you obviously don't have a reasonable debate in mind- your entire post is one complete Sony fan-boy anti-Nintendo rant.

that would make you the inverse of me then. im not a sony fan-boy!!!!!!!!!!!!...i just happen to like the psp a lot! so, call me a PSP fan-boy!!!!!!!!!!!!. and have fun carrying around your mobile dvd player, your mp3 player, and your ds. (i can rip a dvd and convert it to play on the psp - sure it cost more to get a 1GB memory card and it takes time to conver the files(s)...but the ds can't do that and im sure less tech savvy people will not like to do that)

i can watch dvds, play vids and listen to music on my tv, computer, stereo, etc at home. the whole point is to have something to take with you on the road....thus, MOBILE. the psp is the first device to actually combine 3 media functions into one device. sure, it isnt perfect, but it is better than anything out there right now. i like nintendo as well, just not there mobile devices as of yet. i still have my N64 - and i loved that (i still play bond multiplayer on it every so often; also, ive beaten mario 64 and the first zelda on the N64). and i didnt say nintendo games were short...i said that DS GAMES ARE SHORT.....i never referred to nintendo in general. stop spinning the issue. you should read a little slower so you know what youre talking about next time. its ok, im sure plenty of people like using there over sized palm pilot and blowing into the mic to play games. that is fine - everyone is different.

and, (some) nintendo players are in denial. you are an example. thats why you are in the "What do you think of PSP?" thread trying to defend the ds.

carrot said:
that would make you the inverse of me then. im not a sony !!!!!!...i just happen to like the psp a lot! so, call me a PSP !!!!!!. and have fun carrying around your mobile dvd player, your mp3 player, and your ds.

When you go around spreading FUD about the DS that is completely untrue, well...if it looks like a fan-boy and acts like a fan-boy....

Me, I'm arguing opinion, and people are disagreeing with my opinion. You think my opinion is stupid, I think your opinion is stupid, nothing wrong with that.

But at this point, you're just making up stuff about the DS and proclaiming every untrue anti-Nintendo myth in the book, and that's just annoying.

i can watch dvds, play vids and listen to music on my tv, computer, stereo, etc at home. the whole point is to have something to take with you on the road....thus MOBILE. the psp is the first device to actually combine 3 things into one device. sure, it isnt perfect, but it is better than anything out there right now.

To the contrary, for the price of the PSP and a 2 GB memory card you can *easily* pick up a Creative Media Center with a 20 GB hard drive and support for many more formats. That's a better media player, both movies AND MP3.

The PSP has those things as extra gimmicks. They're handy in a pinch (say, you've just gotta show somebody the new trailer), but not enough to make it a good media center.

i like nintendo as well, just not there mobile devices. i still have my N64 - and i loved that (i still play bond multiplayer on it every so often). and i didnt say nintendo games were short...i said that DS GAMES ARE SHORT.....

Okay, one second you're arguing that DS games are mostly ports, then the next N64 games are good but DS games aren't :rolleyes:

Dude, you DID say that Nintendo games are for little kids. You can't turn around and deny it :p And as for DS games being short, there's Wario Ware touched (180 minigames...short?) and Yoshi's Touch and Go (which admittedly is ridiculously short). The rest of the games ARE full fledged games, not short little minigame collections like you would have us think.

Go play Mario 64 and come back and tell me DS games are short. :rolleyes:

carrot and I have worked out our differences via PM, and have come to a truce.

Carry on with the discussion and ignore our arguement above! :D

Praxis said:
Ape Escape (direct port), Metal Gear Acid (different gameplay but every single thing in the game is recycled), NFL Street 2, NFSU, Ridge Racer, THUG2, Tiger Woods, Spider-Man 2 (recycled material from the console game but took out all the good stuff like free roaming).

Ape Escape: Port of the Playstation original with upgraded graphics engine.
NFSU: Different gameplay modes, different circuits, head-to-head wi-fi compatibility, similar car list.
Metal Gear Acid: Can't believe you brought this one up...some of the environments are the same, but the gameplay mechanics, storyline, and graphics engine are completely different than anything that has been done in the series before.
NFL Street 2 Unleashed: Again...new gameplay modes, head-to-head wi-fi compatibility, tournament play for 4 players on one PSP, moves editor.
Ridge Racers: 58 new vehicles, unique graphics engine designed for PSP, new gameplay modes, head-to-head wi-fi capabilities.
THUG2: 4 new levels, wi-fi capabilities.

Pretty much every game you listed has at least two unique features that are exclusive to the PSP version, and these are just launch games.

Praxis said:
Fact is, the DS has a very nice games lineup, and coupled with the cheap price, makes it a very attractive offering.

Your interpretation of "fact" must be a bit different than mine. All I've seen so far are a few half-assed ports of games that don't work well with the stylus (Mario 64, Metroid) or games that are just out and out generic.

Praxis said:
carrot and I have worked out our differences via PM, and have come to a truce.

Carry on with the discussion and ignore our arguement above! :D

that is cor-rect :D

WickedAngel said:
Ape Escape: Port of the Playstation original with upgraded graphics engine.
NFSU: Different gameplay modes, different circuits, head-to-head wi-fi compatibility, similar car list.
Metal Gear Acid: Can't believe you brought this one up...some of the environments are the same, but the gameplay mechanics, storyline, and graphics engine are completely different than anything that has been done in the series before.
NFL Street 2 Unleashed: Again...new gameplay modes, head-to-head wi-fi compatibility, tournament play for 4 players on one PSP, moves editor.
Ridge Racers: 58 new vehicles, unique graphics engine designed for PSP, new gameplay modes, head-to-head wi-fi capabilities.
THUG2: 4 new levels, wi-fi capabilities.

Pretty much every game you listed has at least two unique features that are exclusive to the PSP version, and these are just launch games.

Gotta give you the point on this one. I'm wrong, you're right.
The PSP still has a lot of ports, but a lot of the launch games that appear to be ports are not, and I didn't realize that. The amount of ports is a lot less than I thought.
Your interpretation of "fact" must be a bit different than mine. All I've seen so far are a few half-assed ports of games that don't work well with the stylus (Mario 64, Metroid) or games that are just out and out generic.

Okay, this is just silly.

Metroid, a port? Don't make me laugh. There are only THREE ports for DS, Rayman, Mario 64, and Ridge Racer. I've said this a few times. Metroid, not work well with the stylus? WHAT? The control is absolutely INCREDIBLE. It definitely blows away any FPS game ever. It's better than any console OR PC FPS control I've ever played.

For Mario 64, some people find it hard, some don't. I know the guy that recorded this from the Macrumors forum, check this out.
http://frazmal.com/andrewfee/misc/Super-Mario-64-DS.zip
I admit I could never do that with the touch screen, or even with the joystick. The guy's incredible.

And for Metroid:
http://frazmal.com/andrewfee/misc/metroid.zip
Actually, I can do even better than he did. I got a near perfect score on that level (aka never missing an enemy until you reach the boss).

As for "generic" games, I look at the list and see very little generic. But as I discussed with carrot...this is in the eye of the beholder. I perfer the DS lineup. You perfer the PSP lineup. And neither can convince the other. It's about taste.

from waaaaay up the thread....

32mb is a joke, and 8mb is a joke. Memory cards suck. End of story. Memory stick sucks. End of story. And magic gate can blow my e-penis.

I bought a PSP in the hopes that either

a) There will be a game that comes out I want to play...

before I

b) sell it on ebay when the million units go buh-bye.

I'm hoping that somebody figures out a way to hook a usb thumbdrive to these bad boys so we aren't all being buttraped by sony memory stick prices forever.

And why the hell haven't they ever at least released a bigger than 8mb card for the PS2? I've got 4 of the damn things, keeping track of them sucks. One for me, one for my fiance, one for the dog, one for the guy who peeps in my windows...etc.

Come to think of it, Sony sucks, but they make such cool shit, I just can't resist.

I deserve to be raped like the consumer whore I am.

Kahnvex said:
from waaaaay up the thread....

32mb is a joke, and 8mb is a joke. Memory cards suck. End of story. Memory stick sucks. End of story. And magic gate can blow my e-penis.

I bought a PSP in the hopes that either

a) There will be a game that comes out I want to play...

before I

b) sell it on ebay when the million units go buh-bye.

I'm hoping that somebody figures out a way to hook a usb thumbdrive to these bad boys so we aren't all being buttraped by sony memory stick prices forever.

And why the hell haven't they ever at least released a bigger than 8mb card for the PS2?I've got 4 of the damn things, keeping track of them sucks. One for me, one for my fiance, one for the dog, one for the guy who peeps in my windows...etc.

Come to think of it, Sony sucks, but they make such cool shit, I just can't resist.

You're correct and you're very modest also. I'm going to jump in and call myself a sony consumer whore. Nine more hours before I go to blockbuster to pick up my PSP. :D

AHhaHAhaahHAHahHAHhahAHahHAAHhahAHHA

metroid better than hl2? damm u r crazy..

cant all ds owners/nintendo kids leave this thread man, ds sucks,gamecube sucks, i wish nintendo give up.. their wack,

Ya know, I really don't mind Nintendo all that much. I know that their latest systems haven't done all that well, but I have to say I've got a soft spot in my heart for a few exclusive titles. Even at 26 years old, to this day, I still love to rock some mario.

I have to be in the right mood tho, myabe I just ate a big plate of spaghetti, maybe I've been doing some plumbing, I don't know. Every now and again I have to grab that controller and take that fat waddling bastard for a spin.

GET THOSE SHINES FATTY!

I digress.

I own all the current systems, and really I've found something to like about all of them. Final Fantasy on the PSX, Halo and sports on the Box, Mario and the new RE titles on the cube. It's all worked out pretty well for me. I just don't have time to play any of them lately, so its been a bummer.

I just don't get why everybody has to get all hung up the versus aspect of the durn things. They're game systems, have FUN with them for JC's sake.

Whatever you get just play the damn thing.

Gosh!

Overpriced toy marketed for kiddies with rich parents.

I'll stick to gaming on computers.

jonneymendoza said:
metroid better than hl2? damm u r crazy..

cant all ds owners/nintendo kids leave this thread man, ds sucks,gamecube sucks, i wish nintendo give up.. their wack,

Gee, the thread asks for opinions on the PSP, so everyone who doesn't especially love it should leave? :rolleyes:

Stop being a fan-boy.

LiquidX said:
It looks great but I wont be paying $250 for it although I almost did by getting caught up in the monkey see, monkey do hype. $20-$30 for the movies $39-$40 for the games is too close to what you can pay for a full fledged DVD movie or console or PC game. I wont buy into that. If I see some good exclusives I may subscribe but for now I am passing. And yeah I am still pist they raised the price to $250 from the Asian $189 price so thats the second reason they can shove it because I would have most likely grab one for that price.

The PSP is the best handheld gaming console you can get. Even though its expensive (japan is selling them like hot cakes by the way), when the price goes down after a year, believe me, you wont be hearing any DS around. For the people that complains about the PSP...its either they don't like expensive stuff or just they are stuck with their DS. You get what you paid for...enough said

C4rniV0r said:
Overpriced toy marketed for kiddies with rich parents.

I'll stick to gaming on computers.

...right.

How can you call the PSP overpriced and turn around to support computer gaming? That really doesn't make sense at all.

WickedAngel said:
...right.

How can you call the PSP overpriced and turn around to support computer gaming? That really doesn't make sense at all.

good point.

calling them ports or sequels or whatever,

how about this.....

both the psp and the ds are relying on brand recognition to shift units....

WHAT a SHOCK....

I mean, my god, nintendo doing mario, metriod, zelda etc.....

SHOCK, AWE, sony does metal gear, ridge racer (lets ignore the ds version...and asphalt is crap) and all their other brands...(wipeout etc)

I mean, people want to go with what they know....gamers will go for whats good (lumines is a really good example)

To call sonys stuff ports and nintendos sequels or vice versa is retarded and should earn you a spot on the short bus.

Just get whatever tickles your fancy, I mean, it all comes down to, do you want the cheap girl, low maintenance, will survive and fall and is generally easy on your wallet but can surprise you with a trick or two now and then
or do you want the fabulously gorgeous girl, lots of maintenance, fragile and will be desired by everyone who sees her?

:)

WickedAngel said:
...right.

Computers do quite a lot more than what a PSP can do. But I think its because Nintendo has set a pricing standard when it comes to handhelds of around $99-$140 that people have grown a custom to. PSP is raising that price, and it bothers people.

WickedAngel said:
...right.

Because a PSP is nothing but a glorified toy.

A computer is a tool that can perform many tasks.

C4rniV0r said:
Because a PSP is nothing but a glorified toy.

A computer is a tool that can perform many tasks.

yeah, but most everyone on here uses a computer as toy as well....i mean, how else can you justify the $500+ video cards, water cooling etc that we all love so much...

admit it, we are techie whores.

which when it comes down to it, think of it like this (stoking the fires)....nvidia vs ati on doom3 and half life 2 right....ok, psp versus ds on ridge racers....for example...think of it like that....

think of the nintendo as the 6600 versus the psps 6800ultra extreme....

just, half the price

and doesn't use as much power

psps are cool , are you gonna hit a hash bar on your way home with your psp kristo? I went to amsterdam to pick up my sis from the airport when we lived in werthiem germany, but i was only 12 and didn't know what i was missing (marijuana)

Kristo said:
yeah, but most everyone on here uses a computer as toy as well....i mean, how else can you justify the $500+ video cards, water cooling etc that we all love so much...

admit it, we are techie whores.

which when it comes down to it, think of it like this (stoking the fires)....nvidia vs ati on doom3 and half life 2 right....ok, psp versus ds on ridge racers....for example...think of it like that....

think of the nintendo as the 6600 versus the psps 6800ultra extreme....

just, half the price

and doesn't use as much power

It's not quite the same thing. A graphics card is designed for one sole purpose- graphics. A game console is not, necessarily.

Let's say some games only ran on a 6600, and some games only ran on a 6800 Ultra Extreme.

Then it would be a more valid comparison, because some people may perfer the games that run on the cheaper one.

Back