What do you guys think of the PSP?

the DS has some great games coming out during year. I was thinking about selling my DS but I think i would regret it.

XBLiNKX said:
the DS has some great games coming out during year. I was thinking about selling my DS but I think i would regret it.

I'm keeping my DS for the castlevania game alone :(

Hate_Bot said:
Except for the games...

Is the PSP a fully fledged MP3 Player? can you play MP3 format, or do you have to convert to Atrac or whatever the crappy propriety Sony thing is.

Do you have to buy the movies? Say I have a DVD I have put an iso image on my computer (for backup) can I put this into (in whatever way) a PSP?
It can play MP3s and Atrac, and you can rip the DVD, convert it to a certain format, and then put it on the PSP. Some say this is illegal, but it is possible to do it.

Wait, someone in here mentioned Nintendo coming out with another portable to compete directly against the PSP, um, where can I find a link on that?

Hate_Bot said:
Is the PSP a fully fledged MP3 Player? can you play MP3 format, or do you have to convert to Atrac or whatever the crappy propriety Sony thing is.

It plays mp3s. No ATRAC. Sony has dropped ATRAC-only from their music players--did it months ago. They still support ATRAC, but you can load mp3s directly without having to convert.

Do you have to buy the movies? Say I have a DVD I have put an iso image on my computer (for backup) can I put this into (in whatever way) a PSP?

You can buy a UMD version movie, or you can rip a DVD, encode it at 480x272 (PSP's native resolution), and stick it on a Memory Stick. Either one.

EmptyWallet said:
Wait, someone in here mentioned Nintendo coming out with another portable to compete directly against the PSP, um, where can I find a link on that?

Nintendo said that they will eventually release another GameBoy, and that the DS is not and was never meant for direct competition for the PSP (this was at E3 2004).

Nobody knows when the next GB will come out (there were rumors it would be at E3 this year or at GDC but Satoru Iwata called this a "load of speculation" during his speech).

Something I should point out- when the GameCube was unveiled in 2000, Nintendo hinted that the mini-disks could eventually be used in a future portable.

So if Nintendo releases a GBA2 or a GCP that can play GameCube disks, you won't have to re-buy the games you already own and can just get GameCube games. That'd be awesome.

Terpfen said:
You can buy a UMD version movie, or you can rip a DVD, encode it at 480x272 (PSP's native resolution), and stick it on a Memory Stick. Either one.

It should be pointed out, however, that:

A) Ripping a DVD is illegal by the DCMA (which is heavily supported by Sony btw). While making backup copies of software you own is legal, cracking the DVD encryption is illegal, so you can't legally rip it.

B) You have to buy a much bigger (and very expensive) memory card. Sony's memory cards cost about twice as much per megabyte as CF cards. A 1 GB stick costs $150.

Praxis said:
A) Ripping a DVD is illegal by the DCMA (which is heavily supported by Sony btw). While making backup copies of software you own is legal, cracking the DVD encryption is illegal, so you can't legally rip it.

Of course, the DMCA contradicts established fair use laws, and no court has ruled on which one takes precedent, because the industry is being crafty about keeping things in civil cases... but anyway, you're technically right--however, the PSP DOES allow movie playback from the Memory Stick.

B) You have to buy a much bigger (and very expensive) memory card. Sony's memory cards cost about twice as much per megabyte as CF cards. A 1 GB stick costs $150.

The solution to this: buy another brand's Memory Sticks. SanDisk makes good ones.

Praxis said:
No, it's CERTAINLY not an iPod killer.

Consider:
$150 for the 1 GB memory stick (I've found them priced anywhere from $130 to $220)
+
$250 for the PSP
=
$400

For the same price as a $150 1 GB iPod Shuffle.
No, the PSP is aimed at a different market than the iPod. It won't kill the iPod.

yeah but you cant play games on the iPod :p but yes u are right it is more expensive but for cost for cost i would rather have that than iPod

not tryin to argue just a point

Hey guys, I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd like to chip in. I for one will be getting the PSP as soon as it has a decent collection of titles. From everything I've seen it is very impressive. Not to turn this into a war, but I've played my friend's DS, and it is unimpressive to me. I suppose I'm just not interested in the features it offers. It was sort of neat to play Mario 64 on the DS, however compared to today's graphics it is simply is unimpressive. I can't stand '95-98 era 3D. I'm sure it will have some great titles that interest me, but the PSP's 3D capabilities, along with the ability to use large-capacity memory sticks, sells it for me. Whatever you guys get, I hope you enjoy it!

Terpfen said:
It plays mp3s. No ATRAC. Sony has dropped ATRAC-only from their music players--did it months ago. They still support ATRAC, but you can load mp3s directly without having to convert.

It took them long enough. ATRAC is what kept me from buying their sweet ass (for 2002) CD-MP3 player in favor of the Iriver. I don't appreciate Sony pushing their propreitery underperforming standards on us. Leave the codecs to the software engineers Sony.

Terpfen said:
The solution to this: buy another brand's Memory Sticks. SanDisk makes good ones.

Actually, I was quoting SanDisk's price I believe, Sony's is even higher than $150.

And SanDisks' "Memory stick Duo w/MagicGate" is $210 for 1 GB, what's the difference?

Praxis said:
No, it's CERTAINLY not an iPod killer.

In a indirect way, it just might be.

this quote from a interview sums it better than i can...

OPM: Was the iPod a factor in any of this?

KH: In an indirect way. The iPod is a handheld entertainment device. The DS is a handheld entertainment device. There are a lot of different MP3 players out there and portable DVD players out there as well. So from that perspective, anything that gives users the option of being entertained on the go falls in that category, so books and laptops are also in that category. If you're asking me what is a direct competitor to the PSP, it's everything that can entertain when you're on the go.

I don't see the point in the iPod. Honestly...do you really need over 10GB of music on a handheld device? Who even has that much music to listen to?

Even you do have that much music, you'll spend more time cycling through songs trying to find what you want to listen to than you'll actually spend hearing it.

WickedAngel said:
I don't see the point in the iPod. Honestly...do you really need over 10GB of music on a handheld device? Who even has that much music to listen to?

Even you do have that much music, you'll spend more time cycling through songs trying to find what you want to listen to than you'll actually spend hearing it.

I have 3 gigs worht of music, and I got a 4 gig ipod mini, Firstly, it gat all my music of my computer (w00t space) secondly, it's really easy to scroll through, it sorts by artist/album etc... and making playlists is easy.

It might seem difficult, but once you try it it is very easy.

WickedAngel said:

One person bought over 25,000 songs from the iTunes music store. Thats scary. Steve Jobs made a big point about that at his keynote.

As for over 10GB, you'd be surprised- I know some people that filled up 40 GB iPods. I know, sad.

My sister has a 20 GB iPod, I've been using about 10 GB of it for backup whenever I can get my hands on it and she's not looking :D It can be used as a nice portable hard drive, did you know that on the set of LOTR all the video editors were saving to iPods to move the video around?

WickedAngel said:

My /mp3 folder has nearly 27GB of mp3s, OGGs, and FLACs spread over 8400 files and 450 folders. And I listen to all of it.

Not really. Extensive playlists and shuffling helps a lot.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I don't have the gusto to read this whole thread right now... but the whole issue of the square button not responding as well is absolute bull shit. I think the PSP has great potential... but I won't be looking at a Superstore flyer that says the PSP is 100 bucks next year and shaking my head because I paid 300.

Praxis said:
Nintendo said that they will eventually release another GameBoy, and that the DS is not and was never meant for direct competition for the PSP (this was at E3 2004).

Nobody knows when the next GB will come out (there were rumors it would be at E3 this year or at GDC but Satoru Iwata called this a "load of speculation" during his speech).

Something I should point out- when the GameCube was unveiled in 2000, Nintendo hinted that the mini-disks could eventually be used in a future portable.

So if Nintendo releases a GBA2 or a GCP that can play GameCube disks, you won't have to re-buy the games you already own and can just get GameCube games. That'd be awesome.

That would be completely kickass and I've be in line for one for sure.

Anyone who says there aren't any games needs to wake up...there's 20+ launch titles. Check ign.com or gamespot's lists, the scores on the games coming in are extremely impressive. Wipeout XL and Lumines are supposed to be brilliant, with Tony Hawk and Ridge Racer running close behind. I for one will be getting Twisted Metal and Brotherhood of the Blade. The music and movie features are just a bonus, its all about the games, and as of March 24, 2005, the PSP will have better games than the Nintendo DS, even 4 months after its launch.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Anyone who says there aren't any games needs to wake up...there's 20+ launch titles. Check ign.com or gamespot's lists, the scores on the games coming in are extremely impressive. Wipeout XL and Lumines are supposed to be brilliant, with Tony Hawk and Ridge Racer running close behind. I for one will be getting Twisted Metal and Brotherhood of the Blade. The music and movie features are just a bonus, its all about the games, and as of March 24, 2005, the PSP will have better games than the Nintendo DS, even 4 months after its launch.

Except most of the games are ports that, can not only be found on the PS@ can also be found on an Xbox

The only reason I would get a PSP is for the movie vewing, seeing as how the DS has a planned movie vewing thing (any info on it?) it all seems moot.

I just traded in 3 old xbox and ps2 games and got wipeout for free. Its a deal EB has going any 3 xbox/ps2/gamecube (- some exclusions) and you get to select from serveral PSP games for free. I only owe 100 bucks more on my PSP itself. I can't wait.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Anyone who says there aren't any games needs to wake up...there's 20+ launch titles.

You're behind on your portable wars lingo. Let me help:

When someone says, "the PSP doesn't have any games," they mean it doesn't have anything they themselves want to play right now.

When someone says, "the DS doesn't have any games," they mean there are almost no games coming out for it in the near future.

Spaceman_Spiff said:

As of March 24th, sure, but by the end of the year the DS will have some INCREDIBLE titles out.

Even the non-ported PSP games (most are ports- GT4, Ape Escape, etc) have reused stuff from existing games (Spider-Man 2, Ridge Racer, NFS). While on the other hand, the DS is almost completely original excepting 3 games, Mario 64 DS, Rayman DS, and Ridge Racer.

There are some really, really cool stuff coming for the DS this year.

Terpfen said:
You're behind on your portable wars lingo. Let me help:

When someone says, "the PSP doesn't have any games," they mean it doesn't have anything they themselves want to play right now.

When someone says, "the DS doesn't have any games," they mean there are almost no games coming out for it in the near future.

What are you talking about on the DS front? The DS has no games that are OUT worth playing excepting Asphault Urban GT and Mario 64. The DS has TONS of games coming out for it in the near future, and thats whats worth it.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/platform.php?platformid=84

You call that no games coming out?

The DS upcoming games (see above link) completely DWARFS the PSP's upcoming games.
http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/platform.php?platformid=74

I love how when nintendo makes another zelda or metroid game running on the same exact engine with 1 or 2 new play mechanics its a brand new game, but when sony or microsoft does the same its a port or a rehash. GBA brought absolutely nothing new to gameplay (2d side scrollers mainly), and the touch screen on ds has the potential to do that, but needs such incredibly specific and unique design and development for that I seriously doubt whether or not it will be properly utilized. It might happen in the future, and its a large reason why ds games still suck 4 months after release. The psp brings us full 3d on a handheld, with wireless netplay at launch. If you don't like sports, racing, puzzle, or rpgs, then yes, the psp launch list is not for you, and I concede defeat.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
I love how when nintendo makes another zelda or metroid game running on the same exact engine with 1 or 2 new play mechanics its a brand new game, but when sony or microsoft does the same its a port or a rehash. GBA brought absolutely nothing new to gameplay (2d side scrollers mainly), and the touch screen on ds has the potential to do that, but needs such incredibly specific and unique design and development for that I seriously doubt whether or not it will be properly utilized. It might happen in the future, and its a large reason why ds games still suck 4 months after release. The psp brings us full 3d on a handheld, with wireless netplay at launch. If you don't like sports, racing, puzzle, or rpgs, then yes, the psp launch list is not for you, and I concede defeat.
quoted for truth.

DS is just non impressive right now from design, games, and features. Only good about it seems to be the price compared to the psp. psp seems to be everything i want in a handheld and some. Cant wait to pick mine up on thursday. with USB support on it, the possibilities are sorta endless on what could come in the future. and im glad you pointed out the wireless netplay at launch, Spaceman_Spiff. thats one thing that can turn a decent game into a great game, playing with friends and other around the globe is just way more fun and playing by yourself. I just like the fact that soon as i buy twisted metal out of the box i could start playing someone in another state or one of my friends a couple yards away. something the DS cant compete with as of now. I also think xlink gave up trying to tunnel with the DS.

PSP > DS is my opinion, and has been for a while.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
I love how when nintendo makes another zelda or metroid game running on the same exact engine with 1 or 2 new play mechanics its a brand new game, but when sony or microsoft does the same its a port or a rehash.

With the exception of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, name two Zelda or Metroid games that have the same engine and are almost the same.

There are NONE. No two Mario games ever used the same engine (unless you count the GBA ports of NES and SNES games). No two Zelda games used the same engine excepting the early NES games (and I HOPE you're not basing this after NES games).

They have the same names but are always vastly different.

Zelda:

A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, New Zelda game. Are they at all alike?

Metroid (skipping Prime 2):
Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime: Hunters. NONE have the same engine.

Mario:
Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine.

Do any have the same engine? NO.

Same name. NONE have the same engine. None are rehashes. Except MP2 though.
GBA brought absolutely nothing new to gameplay (2d side scrollers mainly), and the touch screen on ds has the potential to do that, but needs such incredibly specific and unique design and development for that I seriously doubt whether or not it will be properly utilized.

It has so far. Mario 64, Wario Ware, Metroid Prime, GoldenEye.

It might happen in the future, and its a large reason why ds games still suck 4 months after release.

Actually, the reason is that the good games are being developed from complete scratch. Therefore the good games have not come out yet.

There are very few DS games out there, and most are puzzle games, thats why they suck.

Praxis said:
With the exception of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, name two Zelda or Metroid games that have the same engine and are almost the same.

Link's Awakening, Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons.
Ocarina of Time and the upcoming Zelda.
Zelda 1 and Zelda NES Classic Series.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
Minish Cap uses Link to the Past's play mechanics and Wind Waker's graphic style.

Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion.
Metroid 1 and Metroid NES Classic Series.
Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Zelda gets points for Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and possibly Zelda 2. Metroid has Super Metroid, and... well, that's about it, really. None of the other Metroid games are nearly as good.

Nintendo does have a problem with proper management of its franchises. Can StarFox please die, already? It's done.

Don't feel like quoting all of Terpfen, cause he said it all already :) Thats exactly what I meant, I was referring more to the portable market but thats the general idea. I'm not saying psp won't have ports, but didn't they release four swords on gamecube? They ported the gba game to gamecube. Not to mention the fact that the game was on original game boy before that. Oh, and before that, on SNES. Its the same damn engine, gah!

Oh and one more thing- go check Ign.com's review page, they have less than half the psp launch titles reviewed and 5 are already above 8.0. DS doesn't even have that many yet.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Don't feel like quoting all of Terpfen, cause he said it all already :) Thats exactly what I meant, I was referring more to the portable market but thats the general idea. I'm not saying psp won't have ports, but didn't they release four swords on gamecube? They ported the gba game to gamecube. Not to mention the fact that the game was on original game boy before that. Oh, and before that, on SNES. Its the same damn engine, gah!

Oh and one more thing- go check Ign.com's review page, they have less than half the psp launch titles reviewed and 5 are already above 8.0. DS doesn't even have that many yet.

You know why? Sony sends them crap for free, they give them news and info about there products, for free.

IGN Is one of the most highly Sony-biased sights on the web. You cant trust any review sights. Especially if it's first party stuff (made by like Microsoft, nintendo etc..) cuz if they did, they would lose all the free info and news they get.

You know why? Sony sends them crap for free, they give them news and info about there products, for free.

Ok, it hardly completely refutes your point, but if you look at gamespot, which has reviewed the same top 5 games, the scores are very similar, higher in 2 cases and lower in 3 others. Gamespot traditionally gives slightly lower scores on average, anyway. Reviews are incredibly helpful, as long as you get them from a few sources. I regularly use ign and gamespot, and have never once played a game that either deemed excellent (~8.5+) and been disappointed.

Terpfen said:
Link's Awakening, Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons.
Ocarina of Time and the upcoming Zelda.
Zelda 1 and Zelda NES Classic Series.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
Minish Cap uses Link to the Past's play mechanics and Wind Waker's graphic style.

You're right in the distant past for Link's Awakening and the two oracles, although the engine was revamped since Link's Awakening didn't even have color. And those are VERY old, GameBoy Color.

As for Majora's Mask, that was hated for being a recycle of Zelda: OoT. So not even Nintendo is immune.

Zelda 1 and 2 were completely different- 2 was side scrolling, even!
Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion.

I'm fairly certain these are different.
Metroid 1 and Metroid NES Classic Series.

Uh, the Metroid NES game IS Metroid 1.
Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Hunters.

NOT the same engine. Definitely not.

Nintendo does have a problem with proper management of its franchises. Can StarFox please die, already? It's done.

StarFox 64 totally rocked. They just screwed up the new ones. If they could make a new game that resembles 64, it could be good...Just please, no more on foot levels!

Back