What do you guys think of the NV 40?

im pretty sure the 6800 non ultra at 300usd will have ps3.0 and im sure the price of it will go down before the q3 cards come out this year.

that argue your "mysterious" point your trying to prove?

Originally posted by Bad_Boy
im pretty sure the 6800 non ultra at 300usd will have ps3.0 and im sure the price of it will go down before the q3 cards come out this year.

that argue your "mysterious" point your trying to prove?

Ok so let me get this straight your assuring me that there will be a NV40 card at the mainstream price point of $150ish and that PS3.0 games will be readily available in quanity this year to make a huge difference in this round of videocard battles.

So by end of this year if Valve did another hardware survey we'd see more NV40 based cards in their survey than R420 and we could argue that it was because of the huge difference PS3.0 made in a whole host of games that were released this year.

:eek:

who said 150usd is mainstream?

i do find it odd that valve is supporting 3.0
when they are partners with ati

thats like tiger woods wearing adidas
nv40's big sales pitch is probally going to include shader 3.0 no doubt about it.

Ok so let me get this straight your assuring me that there will be a NV40 card at the mainstream price point of $150ish and that PS3.0 games will be readily available in quanity this year to make a huge difference in this round of videocard battles.

So by end of this year if Valve did another hardware survey we'd see more NV40 based cards in their survey than R420 and we could argue that it was because of the huge difference PS3.0 made in a whole host of games that were released this year.

Originally posted by TheGameguru

:eek:
All signs are pointing to that GameGuru. When you see 10+ games slated to use PS3.0 before a card able to do it is out that suggests that yes, there will be games using it this year. No, a $150 card may not be able to run PS3.0 this year but a $200 one most likely will. And when the next gen cards come out, yes, NVIDIA will have $150 cards able to run PS3.0 and ATI won't.

What is Valve's most popular game? CS. What is needed to run CS? GF2 MX and higher. Trying to base what people would spend based of a hardware survey of users playing a 4 year old game is biased and inaccurate to put it lightly. I would be willing to bet that if the developers of Farcry were to run a hardware survey the results would be a tad different.

I would also like to say I really haven't seen any IQ comparison of PS2.0 to 3.0. Most of what I hear is that 3.0 is a faster version of 2.0. Although it would be great for someone technical to comment on that.

DX9 games like Farcry and Halo not playable

What utter bullshit:rolleyes:FarCry is very playable with a 9800Pro on max setting thankyou very much it was the 5900 that was struggling :p
As for halo that was the game I>E bad port its been done and discussed to death!
Get you facts correct before you sprout this:p Yes the 6800 is faster in Farcry its to be expected duh! its got 16pipelines vs 8 genius:rolleyes:

who said 150usd is mainstream?

i do find it odd that valve is supporting 3.0
when they are partners with ati

thats like tiger woods wearing adidas
nv40's big sales pitch is probally going to include shader 3.0 no doubt about it.

The market says..

Why...whats your definition of a mainstream pricepoint?

I am waiting for the 6800 Ultra 512mb and the X800 512mb (if they have a 512mb version) in june.

call me insane for even thinking about a 512mb card, but then ill just have to call you insane for not thinking towards the future.
Well, the hardward has to come out first before devs can program for it, so that's ok.

The thing is, what games will use more than 128mb of textures? I heard that D3 will only use 98mb of textures. UT2K4 also fits under 128mb.

I'd like to see benchmarks of UT2K4, Farcry, and D3/HL2 when they come out on a 128mb card, and then a 256mb card that is identical. The thing is, most of the time, there are slight differances in the cards that make an apples to apples comparison kinda hard.

Also, that 512mb of memory may be slower that 128mb. Remember a few months ago when there was a 64mb card, that was faster than a 128mb card? Everyone went with the 64mb card for the speed.

Video editing and cad take advantage of the extra memory, but games, I dunno.

well the mainstream is usually the card that is being bought the most. and right now the 9800pro's are selling llike hotcakes at 210. best bang for buck and all that hooplaa

mainstream parts are almost always debuted at about 200 dollars, they just usally fall to about 150 after a few months

Originally posted by obs
All signs are pointing to that GameGuru. When you see 10+ games slated to use PS3.0 before a card able to do it is out that suggests that yes, there will be games using it this year. No, a $150 card may not be able to run PS3.0 this year but a $200 one most likely will. And when the next gen cards come out, yes, NVIDIA will have $150 cards able to run PS3.0 and ATI won't.

What is Valve's most popular game? CS. What is needed to run CS? GF2 MX and higher. Trying to base what people would spend based of a hardware survey of users playing a 4 year old game is biased and inaccurate to put it lightly. I would be willing to bet that if the developers of Farcry were to run a hardware survey the results would be a tad different.

I would also like to say I really haven't seen any IQ comparison of PS2.0 to 3.0. Most of what I hear is that 3.0 is a faster version of 2.0. Although it would be great for someone technical to comment on that.

I refered to Valve's because its bascially all we have to determine a large enough sampling of whats out there. In any case its not completely invalid because it still will show what a large amount of potential demographic is currently running in their machines. Just because they're playing CS doesnt mean they still are not gamers and a potential demographic for any other publisher/dev.

And again...theres no concrete proof that ATI will not at some point put PS3.0 support into their refresh. In this current upcoming round no.. but we can't be certain that they wont include in a refresh.

Originally posted by NoGodForMe
Also, that 512mb of memory may be slower that 128mb. Remember a few months ago when there was a 64mb card, that was faster than a 128mb card? Everyone went with the 64mb card for the speed.
that speed difference came from board makers using cheap ram to keep costs down, it was either 64 megs at high speed, or 128 at low, simply on a cost basis, at the high end this problem is irrelevant because they just use fast ram and charge us more. the amount of ram wasn't slowing anything down.

You people need to learn to be patient, nvidia has released, looks good very nice archievement. How bout you wait for the R420 series to come out before jumping to conclusion. PS 3.0 is a nice addition all praise for Nvidia for including it. But you have to remember PS 3.0 is not as big a step up as PS 2.0 was to PS 1.x , and that its possible to do most if not all PS 3.0 effects using 2 PS 2.0 passes (correct if im wrong) . Image quality wise Nvidia has definately caught up, if not gone ahead, 8xAA looks really impressive. So how bout it guys, just hold ur judgements til all cards are on the table. Man you guys would lose big playing poker.

Originally posted by NoGodForMe
Well, the hardward has to come out first before devs can program for it, so that's ok.

The thing is, what games will use more than 128mb of textures? I

umm, hl2 will have texture resolutions larger than any other game. im pretty sure games that follow hl2 will have some pretty big changes with texture quality and size.

and until i see the 512mb card and its benchmarks im not gonna spend my money on something i might regret. so thats why im waiting.

if i recall the 128mb card didnt have gddr3 memory and the 64mb card did. unless your talking about the ti4200 which the 128mb is only slightly clocked slower than the 64mb one. but in games 128mb would get you better performance than 64mb. so it evens out.

Originally posted by morpheus9394
How come alot of people on these forums hate tomshardware??

http://www4.tomshardware.com/blurb/20010913/

In particular, "I also could not understand how some hardware websites suddenly turned into wannabe competitors of CNN, posting evermore of the horrible news and even pictures of the disasters where they usually listed the 25th heat sink review of some hard core super overclocker. Who would read that? Is there indeed anyone that has Internet but no television and no radio? Can't we leave the capitalization on terrible news to CNN (the main beneficiary of the such lovely events as the Gulf War, the OG Simpson trial, Lady Diana's death and the presidential election chaos) and the likes? Is there indeed 'no business like show business' even in times like that?"

I was at work on 9/11 without access to a radio or TV. All the main news sites like CNN and such were down. The only place where I, and I assume many others, could get news about what was going on that day was right here. I am very appreciative to Kyle for helping out on that day.

I visit this website several times a day and highly recommend it to anyone who asks about hardware. Tom's, well..... I thought he was a smug and arrogant ass before 9/11 and afterwards decided that I really just loathed him.

There have been other clashes but that is the one that always comes to mind when people ask about Tom's.

PS 3.0 is a nice addition all praise for Nvidia for including it. But you have to remember PS 3.0 is not as big a step up as PS 2.0 was to PS 1.x , and that its possible to do most if not all PS 3.0 effects using 2 PS 2.0 passes (correct if im wrong) .

You're not wrong. The majority of the improvements aren't related to visual quality, but to the length of the shader instruction count, and branching or predication or flow control.
Centroid sampling is now officially supported and High Dynamic Range rendering is improved. Other than that VS3.0 may actually be more important for the look of games, but I'm not a developer.

It is nice to see, but the final product is what matters.

I'm definetely wanting to get my hands on one, but I also want to see what ATI has on tap before I spend my money.

Originally posted by dark_mark
http://www4.tomshardware.com/blurb/20010913/

In particular, "I also could not understand how some hardware websites suddenly turned into wannabe competitors of CNN, posting evermore of the horrible news and even pictures of the disasters where they usually listed the 25th heat sink review of some hard core super overclocker. Who would read that? Is there indeed anyone that has Internet but no television and no radio? Can't we leave the capitalization on terrible news to CNN (the main beneficiary of the such lovely events as the Gulf War, the OG Simpson trial, Lady Diana's death and the presidential election chaos) and the likes? Is there indeed 'no business like show business' even in times like that?"

I was at work on 9/11 without access to a radio or TV. All the main news sites like CNN and such were down. The only place where I, and I assume many others, could get news about what was going on that day was right here. I am very appreciative to Kyle for helping out on that day.

I visit this website several times a day and highly recommend it to anyone who asks about hardware. Tom's, well..... I thought he was a smug and arrogant ass before 9/11 and afterwards decided that I really just loathed him.

There have been other clashes but that is the one that always comes to mind when people ask about Tom's.

that didnt bother me news is news and most of it is trash to me anyways. you always have the option of not reading it. another thing was a fallout with hardocp and tom's. i have no idea what occured there but doesnt matter to me as well.

however, what got me was when tom's was bluffing with a lawsuit in an incident with amd (or was it intel?) show. the site was giving their opinion of the shady practices of what occured there. tom's called foul play and took very unprofessionally. i for one cant thrash them just for that incident. there's always two to the story just not one.

for the people who dont care for tom's well thats their prerogative i could careless i for one dont mind visiting them every now and then to read about tech stuff like the nv40 and yes it was a good read.

Back