What do you guys think about the NVidia Shield Tablet?

So I just picked it up today 32gb LTE version along with the controller and 3 free games Nvidia deal until 12/24 + a GTX 970 (for the Nvidia streaming codec).

Awesome tablet, initial impressions with the game streaming from PC to tablet, this is pretty legit. I was able to stream games from Steam like Ultra SF 4, games from Origin like Need For Speed Rivals, UPlay - Assassin Creed Unity..etc.

I did not experience any hiccups or lag in the gameplay The controller was very responsive and felt like I was gaming directly on my PC. I have an Archer C8 AC1750 router with both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz wireless capabilities.

As far as tablet capabilities I haven't tried much aside from taking the OTA 5.0 Lollypop update, rooting and unlocking it. It's your standard android tablet with full capabilities + a stylus, access to your apps from the Play store. For $400 I can't really complain.

I've been eyeing that tablet for a good while now, but just for the quality tablet capabilities, not for gaming or streaming. Glad you are happy with it, many are.

Do you have any relative comparison point for the display?

One of the criticisms regarding the Shield Tablet was the display quality both in terms of measurements and subjective impressions.

This was my main concern as well.

Bought one and returned it. Probably because I have a few high end tablets already.

I have had one for about a month now and it's definitely one of the worst tablets I have used in the last couple of years. Constantly using at least 1.8gb of ram with a minimal amount of open apps. The system will bog down and freeze up anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds very frequently. Multitasking is basically impossible because of this. I assume the freezes are due to the high ram usage, but all of my other devices that have only 2gb of ram never have this problem. The screen has good colors, but the lower resolution is very noticeable. I also have an LG gpad, which has a slightly larger screen with the same resolution, but it doesn't have as much obvious pixelation as the shield tablet. The 2 front facing speakers are nice, but they also have a "hollow" sound, that's the best way that I know to describe it. They also don't get as loud as I expected. The performance of the K1 chip is excellent though. I never notice any lag while playing games. Battery life is rather poor overall though, not just when gaming. And its quite heavy as well. It's not worth the current asking price. I really wanted to like it, but sometimes it's just downright aggravating to use.

Lower resolution? Since when is 1900 x 1200 with a higher ppi than the iPad air 2 a low resolution? Did you upgrade to lollipop? That took care of any of the lag I was having and that lag wasn't bad at all. Sounds like you may have a defective unit if your also using 1.8gbs of your ram constantly

I bought it primarily as an alternate gaming device to stream games from my PC to the tablet when I don't feel like sitting at the desk (Don't think any other device has the level of integration this does), and ROM emulation. My other option was spending $1500 on gaming laptop.

That being said the fact that this also doubles as a standard fully functional android tablet is an added bonus for me. I guess if you go into it with the mindset of a top of the line Surface Pro 3 you might be a little under-whelmed. I do not notice any of the complaints people have while using it. :)

Back