What Do You Do With the World’s Fastest Internet?

I am finally a believer in digital downloads! If we all could have Gigabit Internet that is. I just started a download of Skyrim on a new workstation and it downloaded 7GB in only 3 minutes.

<5minutes to install a 10GB game over the Internet!

I'm on that same exact plan and im in vegas too. But im only hirting 18mbps, did you get a new modem?

Yeah, they doubled everyone's speed for free (other ISPs take note, Cox doubled everyone's speed for free) and since I was on the 25Mbit before, I had to pick up a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Now:

2572133612.png

I have a notch below top tier for Cox (Hampton Roads area, VA). From the time I've used it, they've increased it from 25 to 40Mbps through a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I wouldn't mind having the 50Mbps plan with the added speed increase but the gov't sequester BS won't be giving me any nice pay raises any time soon.
2571826578.png

It will take a lot of bandwidth when google puts cameras in everyone's home and records everything.

The question is currently without meaning.

We keep getting told that the PC market is dead or is near death. The popularity of mobile devices (which is also in question) is proof enough that people don't want to be tethered by anything. Consoles are loosing ground. Everyone is treated like a criminal if they download anything. Half the population doesn't even understand how to turn on whatever equipment they own.

With that said, I would like to see fiber ran to every home. I would like my own intranet to be fiber based instead of ethernet. I'm just not sure I see the point. There are too many things (including government) standing in the way.

What would I do with it? lol.....Likely nothing different. It would just be faster. Although, I would likely learn how to splice fiber.

Heh...my area tops out at 12MB. Actually, Comcast just sent a flyer that I could get 22MB 'in the future'

Sucks living in an already developed neighborhood.

I'd definitely start a small scale colo business, provided there's no cap. If there's a cap I'd try to work out something so I can get unlimited and just pay extra. I would not go huge scale, maybe like 10-20 or so colo customers. $100/mo x 10 that's still $1000 per month for doing practically nothing. I'd eventually want to invest in a standby generator and an oversized central air unit for the house to compensate in summer but other than that it would be set and forget. If getting additional bandwidth would be easy I could always upscale too, eventually build a proper data center.

The main problem with Google fiber is finding a gigabit VPN to keep Google from spying on you.

Yeah. I am wondering what kind of contracts these people signing. Has anyone released the actual wording?

Screw 1Gbps. I want my 150gb cap gone. I'm at 5Mbps and it's not a problem. I just don't like having to stick to a "daily allowance" which determines what quality I can watch streams at and for how long.

I'd definitely start a small scale colo business, provided there's no cap. If there's a cap I'd try to work out something so I can get unlimited and just pay extra. I would not go huge scale, maybe like 10-20 or so colo customers. $100/mo x 10 that's still $1000 per month for doing practically nothing. I'd eventually want to invest in a standby generator and an oversized central air unit for the house to compensate in summer but other than that it would be set and forget. If getting additional bandwidth would be easy I could always upscale too, eventually build a proper data center.
Google fiber is for residential locations. Commercial data center power in this area ranges from $.05 to $6.5 per kwh. I pay about $.20 on my residential bill. I don't think anyone with that idea will get too big. There is also wording in their TOS about not reselling the service and no servers. Talking to the rep manager at their fiberspace, they'll allow small/personal use servers. I imagine they'll get everyone on board...then start cracking down on that kind of stuff. that's what I'd do.

and according to Netflix new stats, google fiber avg speed is 3Mb...

That is the speed of the stream, not the speed of the Google Fiber service.

And it is MB, not Mb, small mistake on that chart.

So, yeah, it can't go higher because Netflix itself doesn't go higher ;-) like the Anandtech article said a couple months back, the rest of the web is too slow for Google Fiber at the moment.

Back